The Student Room Group

Joining Uni with no AS Maths? Good unis? (UK)

Today i chose my A Level subjects, English, Computing and Physics. I was unable to get in to ALevel maths because i was a few marks short of an A. Now Im worried that my choice for Universities with computer science has been limited to the terrible ones. Are there any good universities which offer computer science/ games development but without the requirement of AS maths. Universities in southern England would be ideal.
Original post by Noah2175
Today i chose my A Level subjects, English, Computing and Physics. I was unable to get in to ALevel maths because i was a few marks short of an A. Now Im worried that my choice for Universities with computer science has been limited to the terrible ones. Are there any good universities which offer computer science/ games development but without the requirement of AS maths. Universities in southern England would be ideal.

Leeds wants computing or mathematics, Newcastle and Nottingham doesn't specify any specific subjects (requirements change every year though). Have you told your sixth form that you want to do comp sci at uni? Maybe they'll make an exception?

Edit: just realised you prefered southern unis :colondollar: I've looked and the likes of Bristol, Southampton and Exeter want maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Leeds wants computing or mathematics, Newcastle and Nottingham doesn't specify any specific subjects (requirements change every year though). Have you told your sixth form that you want to do comp sci at uni? Maybe they'll make an exception?

Thanks for the reply, is leeds a good uni?

No they wont make an exception, everyone with a B who wanted to do maths was rejected even though B was the minimum.

No they wont make an exception, everyone with a B who wanted to do maths was rejected even though B was the minimum.

Leeds is a russell group university, although there are some good unis out there that aren't russell group.

Personally, I'm not too sure whether it's a good uni or not, that you'll have to figure out yourself. Have you thought about sitting as a private candidate?

That's crazy if you were close to an A. Get your parents unvolved as not having Maths will restrict your choice of uni massively.
This guy will help you out!

There are some fairly good unis that don't require maths for CS - they do, however, tend to specify a minimum of a B at GCSE Maths. Also, as you're doing Computing, Nottingham will lower their offer from AAA to AAB.

Here are a couple examples: Nottingham, Loughborough, King's College London, Lancaster, Royal Holloway.
Reply 7
Definitely try to sort this out with your school. Not allowing you to sit such a vital subject for your university choice because of a high B at GCSE is ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending