The Student Room Group

healthcare scientist

I want o be a healthcare scientist after university, but I'm not entirely sure whether it would be better to take Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences. Anybody got any advice?
Thanks
If you want to be a biomed scientist do biomed, if you want to be a biochemist do biochem. You'll have to complete the relevant training at the end of your degree anyway unless you want to be a biomed scientist and do an accredited biomed course.
you could do healthcare science?
Reply 3
Original post by cookiemonster_
you could do healthcare science?

I contacted the head of pathology at my local hospital and what you need is a biomedical science degree which is accredited by the IBMS and which has a work placement so that the HCPC can be completed.
Healthcare scientist is an umbrella term for both biomedical and clinical scientists. It was brought in as a result of modernising scientific careers but it didn't really take off since biomedical scientists would be renamed healthcare science practitioners. You can do a Healthcare Science degree which the end point is the same as an IBMS accredited Biomed degree: registration with the HCPC as a biomedical scientist. Clinical science is slightly different as they register with the HCPC at masters level and you nees to do a post grad training programme.

Quick Reply