The Student Room Group

Is applying to Oxbridge worth it with my AS grades?

Here's my position...

For my AS exams I acheived:
Math- A (96%)
Economics- A(85%)
English Literature- B(76%)
Psychology- C(62%)

I dropped Psychology and I'm continuing with the other three listed subjects. I'm worried that even if I raise my Lit grade to an A in my A2, I still won't have a good chance of getting in. Furthermore, I feel like I could write a really good personal statement, but my poor-ish grades might ruin my application.
I want to apply to Cambridge for the Economics course they offer.

Feel free to speak of experience and be brutally honest with me, thank you!
Honestly it probably isn't worth it. The Cambridge Economics course is super competitive. I know a couple of people who've applied for it and both had straight A* GCSE and very good AS grades with A* predictions, however both were rejected. Literally you stand about 1% chance.
Original post by ninimini
Here's my position...

Math- A (96%)
Economics- A(85%)
Psychology- C(62%)

I dropped Psychology and I'm continuing with the other three listed subjects. I'm worried that even if I raise my Lit grade to an A in my A2, I still won't have a good chance of getting in. Furthermore, I feel like I could write a really good personal statement, but my poor-ish grades might ruin my application.

Your UMS average is 86% which is low for Economics.
Your Maths UMS is good but you don't have further maths and your economics UMS is relatively low.
Economics is such a competitive course and you seem to have a weak academic profile.
I would advise you not to apply to Cambridge or Oxford I'm afraid.
Reply 3
Original post by ninimini
Here's my position...

Math- A (96%)
Economics- A(85%)
Psychology- C(62%)

You stand a slim chance of being called to interview at Cambridge. Below an 85% average they generally won't interview you at all, thus with an average of 85.67%, in the subjects they will look at, you will be right at the bottom of the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending