The Student Room Group

I want to take Psychology at University. A level 3rd subject help please?

Hi, so i chose to take biology, chemistry and psychology, but my school has some timetable problems so i cant take chem and psych. Of course i would choose chem over psych because i want to get into a psych course at Uni and they want at least 1 science, but here comes my problem. I need a 3rd subject, I have put down philosophy and ethics for now, but I'm not interested in it or any other subject for that matter. I really want to do psychology so badly. I am even considering changing sixth form just so i can take it.

If i can't move school it looks like i will have to stick with philosophy and ethics. Do any of you take it? Is it hard? I need AAA* to go to Cambridge so if i can't get an A* in bio or chem, it will have to be philosophy, but i have no idea how hard it will be. Please help?

Thank you so so much!
Reply 1
Original post by Jade Li
Hi, so i chose to take biology, chemistry and psychology, but my school has some timetable problems so i cant take chem and psych. Of course i would choose chem over psych because i want to get into a psych course at Uni and they want at least 1 science, but here comes my problem. I need a 3rd subject, I have put down philosophy and ethics for now, but I'm not interested in it or any other subject for that matter. I really want to do psychology so badly. I am even considering changing sixth form just so i can take it.

If i can't move school it looks like i will have to stick with philosophy and ethics. Do any of you take it? Is it hard? I need AAA* to go to Cambridge so if i can't get an A* in bio or chem, it will have to be philosophy, but i have no idea how hard it will be. Please help?

Thank you so so much!

My friend did philosophy and he found it rather interesting! So are you doing psychology at all then ? Will you not need that to do it at uni? Get back to me and I will try and help further :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Emsta
My friend did philosophy and he found it rather interesting! So are you doing psychology at all then ? Will you not need that to do it at uni? Get back to me and I will try and help further :smile:

Thank you for replying. I can't do psychology at all because it clashes with chemistry :frown: The universities i am looking at don't require psychology at A level to do Psychology at Uni. Does your friend find it difficult?
Reply 3
Original post by Jade Li
Thank you for replying. I can't do psychology at all because it clashes with chemistry :frown: The universities i am looking at don't require psychology at A level to do Psychology at Uni. Does your friend find it difficult?

He found it alright, sometimes it could be a bit mind boggling (but in a good way I think) you could always pick it up and if you don't like it choose another subject. So what actually do you need for this uni? It would be worth while looking at other Uni's as it is always recommended to apply to about 3 I would say. Have a look on these websites for some help- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/ https://www.ucas.com/ . Plus with Psychology a lot of it is to do with the mind and how it interprets stuff (very similar to some psychology stuff!) . On the whats uni website it will tell you what previous A- levels students had when they applied,so that will be useful to look at.
Reply 4
Original post by Emsta
He found it alright, sometimes it could be a bit mind boggling (but in a good way I think) you could always pick it up and if you don't like it choose another subject. So what actually do you need for this uni? It would be worth while looking at other Uni's as it is always recommended to apply to about 3 I would say. Have a look on these websites for some help- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/ https://www.ucas.com/ . Plus with Psychology a lot of it is to do with the mind and how it interprets stuff (very similar to some psychology stuff!) . On the whats uni website it will tell you what previous A- levels students had when they applied,so that will be useful to look at.

The problem with choosing another subject if i don't like it is that there is no other subject I want to do other than psychology which is not an option anymore. For Cambridge which is my first choice uni i need AAA* and it is recommended to have at least 1 science. However, i have looked at universities like Kings college London and i need 'At least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.' So I am pretty safe since i have my sciences. It's just getting the 2 As and and A* that will be the challenging. So since bio and chem are already really hard I just want to make sure I have somewhat of a chance with my 3rd subject. Thank you for the website :smile:
Reply 5
sociology is somewhat similar to psychology (research methods and some of the case studies are exactly the same) so maybe consider that? i would suggest looking for a third subject you are interested in though else your grade might not be as good as you want it
Reply 6
Original post by Jade Li
The problem with choosing another subject if i don't like it is that there is no other subject I want to do other than psychology which is not an option anymore. For Cambridge which is my first choice uni i need AAA* and it is recommended to have at least 1 science. However, i have looked at universities like Kings college London and i need 'At least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.' So I am pretty safe since i have my sciences. It's just getting the 2 As and and A* that will be the challenging. So since bio and chem are already really hard I just want to make sure I have somewhat of a chance with my 3rd subject. Thank you for the website :smile:

oh ok, well good luck and no prob :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by citydeer
sociology is somewhat similar to psychology (research methods and some of the case studies are exactly the same) so maybe consider that? i would suggest looking for a third subject you are interested in though else your grade might not be as good as you want it

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately sociology is in the same 'block' as a subject I have all ready chosen. These blocks are so inconvinent.
Reply 8
Original post by Jade Li
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately sociology is in the same 'block' as a subject I have all ready chosen. These blocks are so inconvinent.

thats unfortunate! maybe look for an essay subject to go with your sciences as this will help with a psychology degree something like english lit, history, politics are all good subjects but obviously pick something you enjoy! i would suggest looking at all the subjects you could do and which you would enjoy most, also try talk to a careers person at your college i had a similar problem and they really helped me!
Original post by Jade Li

Thank you so so much!

What options can you pick from? Also, if you did psychology rather than chemistry (or even biology) what further options does this open up? Psychology is deemed a "science" at most unis isn't it?

I did RS (philosophy and ethics) at A2 - I got an A but it was my lowest subject. I did WJEC so that might make a difference but found it the hardest subject to get higher marks in.

I also did psychology sociology and English lit/lang.
Reply 10
Sociology is fantastic! I did that at A Level and im going to University to study Psychology and Criminology at Uni this month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by citydeer
thats unfortunate! maybe look for an essay subject to go with your sciences as this will help with a psychology degree something like english lit, history, politics are all good subjects but obviously pick something you enjoy! i would suggest looking at all the subjects you could do and which you would enjoy most, also try talk to a careers person at your college i had a similar problem and they really helped me!

Is philosophy an essay based subject? I've never considered it before so I had to make the decision last minute coz my school is so messed up. I would speak to my careers advisor but she's so busy all the time that it's hard to speak to her. My head of sixth form only cares about what's best for the school and not what we want so she's not helpful at all. She's the one who told me psychology a level would be worthless when applying for a psych degree. I considered English lit but when I had it down for a trial I greatly regretted it. It's just really not for me. Do you think philosophy would put me in a bad position when applying for a psych degree against those that may have bio chem and psych? Thanks
I would recommend maths as the most useful A level subject to study psychology at university. There are a lot of stats at good psych courses.
I did the old RS AQA course for Philosophy and Ethics units, but it might not be the same as you are doing but if you want I might be able to send you some old essay questions and answers for you to read over if you want a bigger idea of the course (although I cant guarantee it is what you would be learning about)
Original post by AmyPilot
What options can you pick from? Also, if you did psychology rather than chemistry (or even biology) what further options does this open up? Psychology is deemed a "science" at most unis isn't it?

I did RS (philosophy and ethics) at A2 - I got an A but it was my lowest subject. I did WJEC so that might make a difference but found it the hardest subject to get higher marks in.

I also did psychology sociology and English lit/lang.

Why do they call it religious studies? I spoke to the philosophy and ethics teacher briefly and she said there's hardly any religion included.

What advice do u have for someone taking it? Thanks

If I have biology and chemistry I can choose English lit, philosophy, maths and I thjnk physics. If I did psychology then I would have to drop chemistry but then again there's no other subjects I enjoy.ergh it's so difficult!!
Original post by katieMCR
I did the old RS AQA course for Philosophy and Ethics units, but it might not be the same as you are doing but if you want I might be able to send you some old essay questions and answers for you to read over if you want a bigger idea of the course (although I cant guarantee it is what you would be learning about)

I would greatly appreciate that! Thank you!
Original post by Jade Li
I would greatly appreciate that! Thank you!

can you message me you email address so I can send them? baring in mind I may not have them still on my laptop at home but if I don't have them ill make sure to notify you
Original post by Jade Li
Why do they call it religious studies? I spoke to the philosophy and ethics teacher briefly and she said there's hardly any religion included.

What advice do u have for someone taking it? Thanks

If I have biology and chemistry I can choose English lit, philosophy, maths and I thjnk physics. If I did psychology then I would have to drop chemistry but then again there's no other subjects I enjoy.ergh it's so difficult!!

Who knows why some exam boards call it one thing and others call it something else - I suppose my course did focus on beliefs too but it depends what units your college picks - we didn't do any studies about specific religions. It was nothing like RS at gcse.

Not sure what advice I would give but you have to be good at writing/getting your ideas across. I did all essay subjects as I said before. I have just done my first year at uni doing a joint honours course with psychology and speech pathology.

If you have two sciences then I don't think your third subject will matter too much (apart from the grade of course) for a psychology degree. Out of your choices I would personally go for philosophy or English but I prefer essays to science and avoid maths wherever I can lol. Maths is good for psychology but maybe an essay subject in there would show your versatility???
Original post by AmyPilot
Who knows why some exam boards call it one thing and others call it something else - I suppose my course did focus on beliefs too but it depends what units your college picks - we didn't do any studies about specific religions. It was nothing like RS at gcse.

Not sure what advice I would give but you have to be good at writing/getting your ideas across. I did all essay subjects as I said before. I have just done my first year at uni doing a joint honours course with psychology and speech pathology.

If you have two sciences then I don't think your third subject will matter too much (apart from the grade of course) for a psychology degree. Out of your choices I would personally go for philosophy or English but I prefer essays to science and avoid maths wherever I can lol. Maths is good for psychology but maybe an essay subject in there would show your versatility???

Yes, I agree. Thanks!!
Original post by Jade Li
Is philosophy an essay based subject? I've never considered it before so I had to make the decision last minute coz my school is so messed up. I would speak to my careers advisor but she's so busy all the time that it's hard to speak to her. My head of sixth form only cares about what's best for the school and not what we want so she's not helpful at all. She's the one who told me psychology a level would be worthless when applying for a psych degree. I considered English lit but when I had it down for a trial I greatly regretted it. It's just really not for me. Do you think philosophy would put me in a bad position when applying for a psych degree against those that may have bio chem and psych? Thanks

philosophy is essay based yeah!! if you think you will enjoy it i dont see any problem with it, and unless a uni specifically asks for psych then i dont think not having it will be any disadvantage to you, it sucks you cant get any good advice from your college, maybe try talk to a psych teacher about it if you cant get a careers appointment as they will have studied psychology and will have some experience! good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest