The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jibberjab123
Hi I am a rest of UK applicant does anybody know how much preference they give to Scottish applicants? because I applied last year with A2 prediction:A*A*A and UKCAT:655 and got rejected pre-interview. As I am pretty sure that Scottish applicants got offers with worse/the same stats.

what are you current stats?
Original post by SimSembi
what are you current stats?

I have A-level: A*A*A* acheived
UKCAT: 705 Band 2
GCSE: 10 A*
but a bit put off applying since I got rejected last time, seems to be extra competitive for rest of UK students :s-smilie:
Reply 42
but a bit put off applying since I got rejected last time, seems to be extra competitive for rest of UK students :s-smilie:

those are amazing stats and im sure Aberdeen will only look at achieved A levels and UKCAT. Can't see why they'd reject you when they interviewed 130 RUK students last year
those are amazing stats and im sure Aberdeen will only look at achieved A levels and UKCAT. Can't see why they'd reject you when they interviewed 130 RUK students last year

Thank you and yeah that isn't really that many though I think I'll stick to the english unis as this quota makes me think Id have a better chance at them.
Reply 44
Thank you and yeah that isn't really that many though I think I'll stick to the english unis as this quota makes me think Id have a better chance at them.

yeah i've got 3 english uni's and trying to decide between Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen as my 4th. My GCSE's are crap so I need a UKCAT heavy uni haha
yeah i've got 3 english uni's and trying to decide between Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen as my 4th. My GCSE's are crap so I need a UKCAT heavy uni haha

haha Im going for one scottish one too but St Andrew's, it's odd not many ppl seem to mention that uni for medicine though
Reply 46
haha Im going for one scottish one too but St Andrew's, it's odd not many ppl seem to mention that uni for medicine though

probably because of the high GCSE requirements
Original post by Thehopefulone
hi,

do you have into regarding how aberdeen ranks applicants for interview?

hey its on the website but i think its 40% ukcat and 60% grades for preinterview scoring

i was rejected pre interview then got in the following year i applied-its worth a shot for sure!
Reply 49
Hi, after the interview process, does Aberdeen make offers based solely on interview performance, or add up total interview scores+academic+ukcat to rank applicants?
Original post by muchensmile
Hi, after the interview process, does Aberdeen make offers based solely on interview performance, or add up total interview scores+academic+ukcat to rank applicants?

It's an accumulative total of all aspects of the application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by madmed16
It's an accumulative total of all aspects of the application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome. This means I'm definitely applying to Aberdeen and St Andrews:biggrin:
I really like the look of Aberdeen but I'm tentative that they apparently prioritise Scottish applicants!
Original post by kdizzle97
I really like the look of Aberdeen but I'm tentative that they apparently prioritise Scottish applicants!

It's the same with all the Scottish medical schools unfortunately! They have a quota set by the government that they must meet, and the remaining places are divided between applicants from outside Scotland...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi
A quick advice from your guys. I am international applicant with 7* and 2 A in GCSE and 4 A in AS for A level predicted four A*. In UKCAT first four section score is 2850 unfortunately band 4 in SJT can you guys suggest some medical schools with my criteria. I have shortlisted Aberdeen, Queens Belfast, Bristol and Cardiff.
Much appreciate your suggestions
Original post by jaya64
Hi
A quick advice from your guys. I am international applicant with 7* and 2 A in GCSE and 4 A in AS for A level predicted four A*. In UKCAT first four section score is 2850 unfortunately band 4 in SJT can you guys suggest some medical schools with my criteria. I have shortlisted Aberdeen, Queens Belfast, Bristol and Cardiff.
Much appreciate your suggestions

Hey!

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about English Universities, however with regards to Aberdeen, you would stand a good chance with your stats! The only thing I will warn you about is that Aberdeen will use the SJT as a tiebreaker (if need be)! That's only if people achieve the same scores, so if two people got 210 (including academic, UKCAT and interview score), they will then turn to the SJT if it is to decide between two people! But that's not likely to happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi... Hearing à lot about Aberdeen favouring Scottish applicants despite this being highly illegal from an EU standpoint, I'm sure it goes on. However could any current students shed any light as to whether there are many Irish students studying medicine there. Unsure as to whether my ukcat score of 675 band 1 be enough for Aberdeen??

Any help appreciated!
Original post by Thehopefulone
Hi... Hearing à lot about Aberdeen favouring Scottish applicants despite this being highly illegal from an EU standpoint, I'm sure it goes on. However could any current students shed any light as to whether there are many Irish students studying medicine there. Unsure as to whether my ukcat score of 675 band 1 be enough for Aberdeen??

Any help appreciated!

tbh i don't really see what all the fuss is about theres loads of english and irish people in my year. your score definitely seems competitive, worth a shot applying if you like the sound of aberdeen
Hey Guys, RUK student here. Stats are first class in Biochemistry. UKCAT 690. Are my chances competitive enough or should I go for less ukcat focused university ? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would 3A*A predictions and 702.5 band 2 be a strong enough score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending