The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medicine 2016 Entry

Couldn't find a thread so thought id make one, who's thinking of applying here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hopefully some people are joining you!

I'm about to go into 3rd year here at Aberdeen and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here thus far.

If you have any questions please post on here.
Reply 2
I'm definitely applying to Aberdeen! Are you a Scottish or English applicant?
Reply 3
Original post by baztech

I'm about to go into 3rd year here at Aberdeen and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here thus far.

Are you doing an intercalated degree?
Also, how did you find the interview? That's the part of the process I am dreading!
Original post by madmed16
I'm definitely applying to Aberdeen! Are you a Scottish or English applicant?

Also definitely applying, I'm an English applicant, what about you?
Original post by udeyomydays
is there any point applying to aberdeen with a 2:1 and a 625 UKCAT ?? :frown:

I believe they look at all aspects of your application rather than just UKCAT and academics though not 100% sure what's standard. I'm applying with a predicted 2:1 and 660 UKCAT
Reply 6
Original post by stephannalee
Also definitely applying, I'm an English applicant, what about you?

Ah okay, I'm a Scottish applicant! Where else are you thinking of applying to?
Ah okay, I'm a Scottish applicant! Where else are you thinking of applying to?

Thinking SGUL, Sheffield and queens Belfast, how about you?
Also current aberdeen medic (4th year) so feel free to fire any questions my way.

good luck to all those applying, aberdeen is amazing 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼
Reply 9
Original post by stephannalee
Thinking SGUL, Sheffield and queens Belfast, how about you?

Nice! I'm thinking St Andrews, Glasgow and Dundee!
Original post by atomos
Also current aberdeen medic (4th year) so feel free to fire any questions my way.

Oooooooh.

What have been your highlights of each year?
Did you do an intercalated degree?
Also, how did you find the interview? Were they nice to you?

(Sorry to just bombard you with questions)
Original post by baztech

Hi. I'm an international applicant. I've scored 560 in my UKCAT, which is obviously not a very good score. However, my academic qualifications are meeting the set requirements for Dental / Medical school...what are my prospects of getting an interview call from Aberdeen? could you also tell me how many international applicants are granted admission for medicine, dentistry and biomedicine per year? Than you. AWAITING A QUICK REPLY!
Original post by atomos

Hi. I'm an international applicant. I've scored 560 in my UKCAT, which is obviously not a very good score. However, my academic qualifications are meeting the set requirements for Dental / Medical school...what are my prospects of getting an interview call from Aberdeen? could you also tell me how many international applicants are granted admission for medicine, dentistry and biomedicine per year? Than you. AWAITING A QUICK REPLY!
Oooooooh.

What have been your highlights of each year?
Did you do an intercalated degree?
Also, how did you find the interview? Were they nice to you?

(Sorry to just bombard you with questions)

Hello,
Highlights of the year definitely include beerienteering and the medsoc ball.
As far as the actual work is concerned a definite highlight was finally being let loose as a fourth year on the wards without any more lectures etc. (You get clinical work and get on the wards from first year, but fourth year is full on placements)
I only have done one 5 week block on the ward before summer, as I am now intercalating (bsc biomedical science). Its freshers week still so I don't actually start classes till Monday!

My interview was the last year to do the traditional panel interview so afraid I won't be much help there for comparison. I found it pretty horrible though and was sure I was going to be rejected - so you can imagine my delight when I got an offer! 😂
Original post by Thefuturedoctor1

Hey, as far as I remember aberdeen now places quite a heavy emphasis on UKCAT. look at their website and you should see the weighting but I remember a couple of years ago it was something as much as 60% of your preinterview score, as they only use UKCAT and grades for deciding interviews. You may be better looking at schools with less UKCAT emphasis. But the weighting could have changed since that so definitely have a look yourself on the website.
Internationals, I think there are around 20-25 in my year? To be honest I have no clue so that's a complete guess. But that includes the Malaysians (Aberdeen has links with a Malaysian school, so about 10 or so join in 3rd year from there)
x

ooh i found the page
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/smd/medicine/application-process.php

so yeah 20% total score is UKCAT, i.e. 40% preinterview score ( not 60 like i thought)
Original post by atomos
ooh i found the page
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/smd/medicine/application-process.php

so yeah 20% total score is UKCAT, i.e. 40% preinterview score ( not 60 like i thought)

Hey :smile: Thank you so much for the help. Really appreciate it! 40% is still a lot. What's the lowest UKCAT score accepted in Aberdeen? for both dentistry as well as medicine?
Hey :smile: Thank you so much for the help. Really appreciate it! 40% is still a lot. What's the lowest UKCAT score accepted in Aberdeen? for both dentistry as well as medicine?

dentistry no idea but if you go on that website i posted on the left theres a link to previous applicants and it gives you a bunch of stats
Do you know if achieved grades are worth more than predicted grades at Aberdeen? Also, do they look heavily at Standard Grades?

@atomos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any idea what academics they look for for graduate applicants? Will they ignore GCSEs and just count the degree instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending