The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark for GCSE English literature AQA?

So for my English GCSE (AQA) overall I got an A. My overall UMS was 178 and 180 is an A*. In units 1 and 3 I got an A* but in unit 2 (the poetry unit) I got a B with a UMS of 48. It would be my poetry paper that I got remarked.

My question is, do I just need to get two more UMS marks on the unit 2 paper (and how many raw marks is this) to go up to an A* overall or do I have to get enough UMS marks to bring the unit 2 paper up 2 an A? (I don't know what the boundary for that was).

I just want to realistically know if it's worth getting the unit 2 paper remarked if 2 more UMS marks would bring me up to an A* overall.

I know this all sounds very confusing but thank you for any help or advice you can give.
Reply 1
I have the same question- I got 176 UMS. However I got high As in both exams and an A* in coursework.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Axy333
So for my English GCSE (AQA) overall I got an A. My overall UMS was 178 and 180 is an A*. In units 1 and 3 I got an A* but in unit 2 (the poetry unit) I got a B with a UMS of 48. It would be my poetry paper that I got remarked.

My question is, do I just need to get two more UMS marks on the unit 2 paper (and how many raw marks is this) to go up to an A* overall or do I have to get enough UMS marks to bring the unit 2 paper up 2 an A? (I don't know what the boundary for that was).

I just want to realistically know if it's worth getting the unit 2 paper remarked if 2 more UMS marks would bring me up to an A* overall.

I know this all sounds very confusing but thank you for any help or advice you can give.

I'm going to be honest here, the chance of it gaining two marks or more isn't likely IMO. If it was a large controlled assessment or a long exam (90 mins or more) which has 'subjective marking' you might have a better chance.

If you're doing English Literature as an A-level I would definitely go for it though, or if you had a disappointing performance in English Language.
I was 2 UMS off a A* in history and I am getting it remarked
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to get a remark - the paper was 1 hour 15 minutes and consisted of 2 separate tasks: a poetry comparison and an unseen which I think can be quite subjective (but what do I know!?). I will keep you all updated, thank you x😊
Reply 5
Original post by Axy333
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to get a remark - the paper was 1 hour 15 minutes and consisted of 2 separate tasks: a poetry comparison and an unseen which I think can be quite subjective (but what do I know!?). I will keep you all updated, thank you x😊

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending