The Student Room Group

Go to interview or not?

I have an interview next week for a receptionist in a school job. I'm wondering whether I should bother going to it or not. I have psychosis and recently the voices have been using the interview as an opportunity to tell me just how useless and pathetic I am. I feel like it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to email the interviewer and say I'm no longer interested in the job.

Tbh I'm really not interested in the job as things are. It's full time 8 - 5 so I'd find it difficult to get time to see my psychiatrist/psychologist not to mention I have social anxiety and in particular a phobia of using phone (great for a receptionist!).

It just seems like this job would stress me out too much (the voices react to stress) without really giving me much back. I guess there's the reference and experience which will look good when I try for a more appropriate job but I don't know if that's worth stressing myself over so much?

Anyone else been in this kind of situation?
Yeah, you should give up on the job before you ruin it for the whole school - and seek professional help when you have the chance.
Reply 2
If I were you I'd cancel the interview and make getting better your main priority - you can't risk a job worsening your mental health. I also have social anxiety and can't stand talking on the phone, you're not the only one :smile: maybe look for a part time job so that you can see a psychiatrist when you're not working?
if you're not currently in work then it might be helpful to build up more gradually? as in perhaps start with some voluntary work as that tends to be more relaxed and if you are a little unreliable due to your mental health they will be more patient about it than a paid position, then have a go at part time work and work your way up to full time

as far as this position goes you are in the best position to understand how your mental health will react to it, I would generally advise not giving up on things because of your mental health but equally feeling you have failed at either getting the job or keeping the job may only make you feel worse and if that is likely to happen it might be better to take things more easy

Quick Reply