The Student Room Group

Should I be worried that I struggle to pass GCSE Maths?

For years as far back as I can remember, I have always struggled with maths. I left primary school with a SATs level 2a and finished key stage 3 with a level 4c. Since November of year 10 (2009) I have been taking my maths GCSE for the past 5 years and keep gaining the same grade - E! Most people tell me "ex least you're not getting worse" but neither am I getting any better. I was due to start Adult Nursing this September, but although a final decision hasn't been made as it's still being considered by the tutors, I still will be using maths on the course and for the role as a nurse - which has been my dream job ever since I can remember. I am a clinical HCA at a hospital where I am using maths quite a bit, but it takes me ages to process it in my mind, and observations become a difficulty because I am having to write the numbers as fractions. It's got so bad I've become nervous around doing my numerical areas and often avoid it and ask another HCA to "help me" by using the same excuse that I need "supervising" whilst carrying them out.

Academically I am good with everything else - even music with counting the beats and time signatures. I got good grades in English and science and passed a level 3 diploma and a foundation degree recently.

No one has ever picked up that I might have a delay in maths, but coming across a Dyslexic website that showed a form of Dyslexia called Dyscalculia which is a delay in mathematical areas has shown me the symptoms which I meet quite a lot of. I am a 21 year old female, where I know now it's too late to be assessed in an academic setting as I no longer attend an institute, so I am now stuck for someone to go to for advice. I'd appreciate any advice stating where I can gain support from in England. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending