The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Commuting from York to Leeds?

Hi. I'm starting my MA in Leeds (in Medieval Studies).
Since my partner is also doing her own degree in York, I might have to commute from York to Leeds.

Google(!) says it's an hour and 20min trip from my flat (near York uni) to the University. but I'm not sure whether it is bearable for to do the route daily.
At lease, I hope it wouldn't be too disrupting or time consuming to study properly in MA level (in fact, that's why I'm not even considering taking buses)

Is there any one who commute from York and can provide me some advice?
Reply 1
Original post by publicum
Hi. I'm starting my MA in Leeds (in Medieval Studies).
Since my partner is also doing her own degree in York, I might have to commute from York to Leeds.

Google(!) says it's an hour and 20min trip from my flat (near York uni) to the University. but I'm not sure whether it is bearable for to do the route daily.
At lease, I hope it wouldn't be too disrupting or time consuming to study properly in MA level (in fact, that's why I'm not even considering taking buses)

Is there any one who commute from York and can provide me some advice?

Surely if you get straight on the A64 then it wouldn't be an hour and twenty? I'd be wary of the rush hour traffic into Leeds, it can be horrific. Also there is next to no parking at the university unless you get there early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
45 mins if the road is clear, but it may not be when you are travelling so 80 mins is possible. There is free street parking around Woodhouse which is a 10 minute walk into uni.

Train from York to Leeds is about 25 mins but then you have a 20 min walk from the station unless you get a bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you guys for your replies. I actually don't drive. The time I mentioned above was for train + walking.
It seems the walking from my flat to York station takes more time than actual train riding

Getting a season ticket from York to Leeds seems to be my option but I'm looking for a cheaper and smarter way for it would cost £200 a month at least.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Can you get a flat nearer York station ?

Or....there are busses that run between York and Leeds.

Or....what about getting a room in Leeds ? Will cost more but you can concentrate on your studies in the week and see your partner at weekends ? Think about the commute time you will save!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emlaar97
Can you get a flat nearer York station ?

Or....there are busses that run between York and Leeds.

Or....what about getting a room in Leeds ? Will cost more but you can concentrate on your studies in the week and see your partner at weekends ? Think about the commute time you will save!

Posted from TSR Mobile

this seems like a reasonable option. If it's an MA it seems like a good plan. An Ma will only really last 1-2 years if I'm right.

Quick Reply

Latest