The Student Room Group

as a gay person, I worry about Britain accepting refugees

call me irrational, but I am worried by the prospect of Britain taking in large numbers of refugees, who are likely to hold conservative religious beliefs, which might result in more homophobia on the streets or in terms of political influence. i know some of them might be gay themselves, but i think we can safely assume that most will toe the line in terms of their religion's stance on homosexuality.

i really don't want to feel this way, as I desperately want to help the refugees (especially since that horrible photo of the Syrian child), but I can't help but feel a (perhaps selfish) concern that giving them asylum is a threat to me and people like me.

any advice on these fears? is this my own insecurity showing?

Scroll to see replies

There are almost three million Muslims in the UK, and I've never actually heard of many problems between Muslims and gay people, except gay Muslims. Polls show while many would not accept their own children as gay, they don't care what non Muslims do, and are happy with gay rights generally being applied.

Realistically, the number we'll take will be in the tens of thousands, and they won't all be Muslim, so it won't make a huge difference at all.

So yes, you're overreacting, stop making everything about you.
Reply 2
The few refugees I know don't seem bothered by my bisexuality, or by 2 other girls we know being in relationships with other girls (not each other though..). Although they're by no means representative of all refugees, none of the three of them have ever reacted to me (or the other two girls AFAIK) in a way that was homophobic or even just made us uncomfortable. So I'd say it's probably just insecurity...
Attachment not found
Reply 4
Original post by Mankytoes
There are almost three million Muslims in the UK, and I've never actually heard of many problems between Muslims and gay people, except gay Muslims. Polls show while many would not accept their own children as gay, they don't care what non Muslims do, and are happy with gay rights generally being applied.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

i'm not making everything about me, I am relaying a legitimate concern about a traditionally persecuted community.

i don't think every Muslim (or Christian) feels bigotry towards gay people, but most of these people (who are already in britain) have been exposed to years of western tolerance and culture.
Reply 5
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Attachment not found

??
One of the many reasons we shuouldn't really bother :smile:
"Beggars can't be choosers".
You feel threatened? Not as threatened as some of them felt back in the warzone I'm sure!
Well then you will be hated and persecuted for being gay, but hopefully you will suck it up and not go and try and flee to some other "liberal" country where you're allowed to be gay, because why should they take you?

You should deal with your own problems in your own country.
Original post by Anonymous
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

i'm not making everything about me, I am relaying a legitimate concern about a traditionally persecuted community.

i don't think every Muslim (or Christian) feels bigotry towards gay people, but most of these people (who are already in britain) have been exposed to years of western tolerance and culture.

Yes, they don't morally agree with it, but that doesn't mean they are trying to oppress you. I don't agree with religion, but I still support people's rights. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/06/27/poll-says-muslims-are-proud-of-britains-gay-rights/

And what about their persecution? They're running away from ISIS, you have full legal equality. They are the ones who have the far greater need here. You sound extremely egocentric. Seeing people in great need and just responding "but what about me" is not going to endear you to people.

I've supported every gay rights issue that has come up, but you have to realise this is not a gay issue. Liberal people who support gay rights are not going to support refusing refugees on the off chance some might be homophobes.
Can't bite the hand that feeds you. I'm sure most of them will understand that. I hope.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well then you will be hated and persecuted for being gay, but hopefully you will suck it up and not go and try and flee to some other "liberal" country where you're allowed to be gay, because why should they take you?

You should deal with your own problems in your own country.

Why should they take you? Because you're in need, and what political boundary you happened to be born in shouldn't be the only thing anyone cares about?

So let's say you had a Syrian family member, and they messages you saying "ISIS are coming, they're going to brutally murder the men, and take the women as sex slaves", you'd say "why should I help? You should deal with your own problems"?
Why should they take you? Because you're in need, and what political boundary you happened to be born in shouldn't be the only thing anyone cares about?

So let's say you had a Syrian family member, and they messages you saying "ISIS are coming, they're going to brutally murder the men, and take the women as sex slaves", you'd say "why should I help? You should deal with your own problems"?

Go and tell the OP, he's the one that doesn't believe in accepting migrants because they make him feel 'threatened'.
Muslim attitudes towards homosexuals is no different to Christian or Jewish attitudes.
And before anyone asks, I'm Jewish.
Original post by Anonymous
call me irrational, but I am worried by the prospect of Britain taking in large numbers of refugees, who are likely to hold conservative religious beliefs, which might result in more homophobia on the streets or in terms of political influence. i know some of them might be gay themselves, but i think we can safely assume that most will toe the line in terms of their religion's stance on homosexuality.

i really don't want to feel this way, as I desperately want to help the refugees (especially since that horrible photo of the Syrian child), but I can't help but feel a (perhaps selfish) concern that giving them asylum is a threat to me and people like me.

any advice on these fears? is this my own insecurity showing?

I'm sorry but your fear here is far smaller than what these refugees have to escape on a daily basis, to be filled with yet more disappointment when they can't find somewhere secure and safe to stay.
Reply 16
Yes, I'm sure their main goal is to take Brighton by siege and convert it into an Islamic State, whilst denouncing Pride as a Haram event. Now it's also starting to make sense. That's exactly why they're travelling all the way to the UK.

:rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by Bornblue
Muslim attitudes towards homosexuals is no different to Christian or Jewish attitudes.
And before anyone asks, I'm Jewish.

But its okay, because these bigoted plebs probably believe your family has money, and therefore benefits them. Just as a lot of them also don't seem to be moaning about rich Arabs or Russians buying up property in London and then whacking up rent for everyone else, if it means that the value of their property or parents property goes up. All these people care about is themselves, money and material goods.
Anyone who denies it is being an apologist. You are right sir, you need to vigorously defend your values and liberties.

Realistically, the number we'll take will be in the tens of thousands, and they won't all be Muslim, so it won't make a huge difference at all.

That is a load of bull, there are so many surveys which show that a majority of those surveyed would support death for gays. If they honestly think its acceptable to have anything but inclusive, supportive view of the LGBT community, including their own kids, then they are a danger to tolerance and liberal values.

Quick Reply

Latest