The Student Room Group

Ucas application, uni help, need advice

I have just started my last year of A-Levels (A2). UCAS applications are due soon and I feel like I've started an early mid-life crisis. I have a vague Idea of what I want to do in Uni. I quite like the idea of either Product Design or Graphic Design. Possibly something IT related. Honestly I feel like I will enjoy Graphic Design more but I feel like Product/Industrial Design will look better from an employer's perspective.

I know I'm sort of going off the point here but I would ultimately like to work for a large technology based company. Such as Samsung, Apple, Google etc.. (I can dream) Hopefully to be a part of their creative design team.

I received AAAB for my AS Levels in Product Design, Business Studies, ICT and History. I am on track, and feel confident in getting A*,A*,A for my A2's. Decided to drop History after AS as I feel it's not very relevant, it was my worst grade (was only a few marks off an A) and I very much dislike the subject.

Now, more to the point - I have no clue what University to go to. I live in South Wales, I have no problems with moving to a Uni anywhere in the UK so that's not the issue. I just want to go to the best Uni I possibly can, that reflects best on me when I hopefully go to apply for a Job after my Degree. My first choice at the minute is Loughborough as the Uni looks great and does well on Art & Design Uni rankings. But any alternative recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My school no longer has a careers advisor so I don't really have anybody to talk to.

Also, the R&D and Design Department that I worked with during work experience told me that when applying for design roles, the certain Uni you went to is a massive factor. I just want to make the right choices and not limit my career path before I have even started University.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by JHafodJ
I have just started my last year of A-Levels (A2). UCAS applications are due soon and I feel like I've started an early mid-life crisis. I have a vague Idea of what I want to do in Uni. I quite like the idea of either Product Design or Graphic Design. Possibly something IT related. Honestly I feel like I will enjoy Graphic Design more but I feel like Product/Industrial Design will look better from an employer's perspective.

I know I'm sort of going off the point here but I would ultimately like to work for a large technology based company. Such as Samsung, Apple, Google etc.. (I can dream) Hopefully to be a part of their creative design team.

I received AAAB for my AS Levels in Product Design, Business Studies, ICT and History. I am on track, and feel confident in getting A*,A*,A for my A2's. Decided to drop History after AS as I feel it's not very relevant, it was my worst grade (was only a few marks off an A) and I very much dislike the subject.

Now, more to the point - I have no clue what University to go to. I live in South Wales, I have no problems with moving to a Uni anywhere in the UK so that's not the issue. I just want to go to the best Uni I possibly can, that reflects best on me when I hopefully go to apply for a Job after my Degree. My first choice at the minute is Loughborough as the Uni looks great and does well on Art & Design Uni rankings. But any alternative recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My school no longer has a careers advisor so I don't really have anybody to talk to.

Also, the R&D and Design Department that I worked with during work experience told me that when applying for design roles, the certain Uni you went to is a massive factor. I just want to make the right choices and not limit my career path before I have even started University.

I'm just about to start my graphic design degree. I highly recommend you take a look round the university of Lincoln :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest