The Student Room Group

My clear retainer has suddenly changed shape...help

Ok, I'm so confused right now as to how this has happened. I know clear retainers can change shape, but in my case the way this happened just makes no sense.

So I cleaned my retainers as instructed with warm water and a cleaning tablet I got from my Orthodontist. However this time; after I finished cleaning (which was literally after 5-6 minutes) I noticed they still looked untidy so I went to the bathroom and brushed it with my toothbrush and warm water. After I took them out of the water they had literally changed shape. Both of my retainers (for top and bottom) had shrunk and the bottom retainer almost looks like it has changed shape with the print of the teeth. I've done some research about this and apparently this happens when the teeth change shape but I literally had these retainers on before I cleaned them! They were fine!

Maybe one of the mistakes I made was to put hot kettle water in the glass before adding cold water from the tap. But from what I remember, my retainers were completely fine. :confused:

The retainers still fit- tight and uncomfortable, but they do fit. I might get used to it but I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing... any advice?

EDIT: I will give my orthodontist a call in the morning regardless. I'm just really confused right now as to what has happened and would like some advice just to know what to expect next; Will I have to pay for new ones?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you put boiling water over your retainers????
I have retainers too and my orthodontics told me to wash it in cold water instead of warm/hot because it's plastic and it'll deform so it was possibly due to the hot water :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scriberg
you put boiling water over your retainers????

...Yep, it was only for 4 seconds before I put the cold water in though.:K:
Original post by blitterflicker
...Yep, it was only for 4 seconds before I put the cold water in though.:K:

thats enough time to deform them! does it still fit in your mouth?
Original post by vincentvangogh
I have retainers too and my orthodontics told me to wash it in cold water instead of warm/hot because it's plastic and it'll deform so it was possibly due to the hot water :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought about that, but the stories I have read up on Google say that the plastic deformed after a few hours of them putting it in water with a high temperature. Also I did not notice anything wrong with them after taking them out, they only changed shape after I had rinsed them in the bathroom.
I don't know, I just wish I hadn't had given it a chance.
(edited 8 years ago)
thats enough time to deform them! does it still fit in your mouth?

Yes they do, but its a tight/uncomfortable fit. The retainer for my bottom teeth also looks like it has changed the shape of the teeth as well as it's overall size. I'm not sure if putting them in will do damage or good for my teeth.
Yes they do, but its a tight/uncomfortable fit. The retainer for my bottom teeth also looks like it has changed the shape of the teeth as well as it's overall size. I'm not sure if putting them in will do damage or good for my teeth.

you are such a wally :laugh: if its too major you might be able to get away with wearing them! if it has deformed a lot you're gonna have to get new ones im afraid
you are such a wally :laugh: if its too major you might be able to get away with wearing them! if it has deformed a lot you're gonna have to get new ones im afraid

:colondollar: I guess I'll leave them in for a little while and see how things go. By the way are you Japanese? I know its a random question but I couldn't resist.
:colondollar: I guess I'll leave them in for a little while and see how things go. By the way are you Japanese? I know its a random question but I couldn't resist.

no im indian...
Ah OK. I thought you might have been Japanese since you have what looks like a Japanese Shiba Inu as your dp, along with 'Yung' in your username which is a Japanese name. Not to mention it beginning with a '¥' which is the Japanese yen sign. Yes, I am obsessed with Japanese culture.

Haha, thanks for your help.:wink:
Ah OK. I thought you might have been Japanese since you have what looks like a Japanese Shiba Inu as your dp, along with 'Yung' in your username which is a Japanese name. Not to mention it beginning with a '¥' which is the Japanese yen sign. Yes, I am obsessed with Japanese culture.

Haha, thanks for your help.:wink:

thats world famous doge and the yen sign is actually a gang symbol :smile: what ethnicity are you?
thats world famous doge and the yen sign is actually a gang symbol :smile: what ethnicity are you?

Oh I see. And I'm British Kashmiri- not very far off from you eh? But I'm currently studying Japanese, in case you're wondering why I'm so attached to Japan :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
What did the orthadontist say coz i have got the same problem apart from i csnt get mine out of my mouth ahhhh
Original post by HEifi
What did the orthadontist say coz i have got the same problem apart from i csnt get mine out of my mouth ahhhh

How did you manage that? Did you put it on after it deformed and now you can't take it off?

In the end I did buy new retainers. Make sure you do it quickly because your teeth will move around after a month or two and all that effort and pain with the braces will go to waste.
Putting hot water on your braces changes the shape, even if for a few seconds. This change will mean the mound fits your teeth in a different way than they were made to. Probably best to speak to your orphadontist about what to do as they’ll know what’s best in your situation
Original post by StudyGirl01
Putting hot water on your braces changes the shape, even if for a few seconds. This change will mean the mound fits your teeth in a different way than they were made to. Probably best to speak to your orphadontist about what to do as they’ll know what’s best in your situation

Thanks. This is from two years back though! I did get it resolved in the end and my teeth are still fine till this day. This question was pretty stupid, it is obvious it was because its plastic and I inserted boiling water which means it will change shape😂. Never mind, we live and we learn.
Thanks. This is from two years back though! I did get it resolved in the end and my teeth are still fine till this day. This question was pretty stupid, it is obvious it was because its plastic and I inserted boiling water which means it will change shape😂. Never mind, we live and we learn.

Lol just realised there’s a problem where dates of posts aren’t coming up properly. Ah well, least you got it sorted. Even if it was a long, long time ago now 😂
Reply 18
HElloI am writing this from my own personal experience After deforming my retainer from hot water I called my dentist and he recommended me to put it again in hot water for some seconds , after that immediately put it in teeth and let it be for a whileThis really helped me and I hope your problem gets resolved too 😁
Original post by fizu
HElloI am writing this from my own personal experience After deforming my retainer from hot water I called my dentist and he recommended me to put it again in hot water for some seconds , after that immediately put it in teeth and let it be for a whileThis really helped me and I hope your problem gets resolved too 😁

Well ****. This could have also helped me save a lot of money 3 years ago 😂

Quick Reply

Latest