The Student Room Group

Engineering or ICT Btec level 3 please help

Hi, I am in stuck in between two different schools, a college which I am currently doing engineering btec level 3 extended diploma, and a sixth Form which I can do ICT btec level 3. I really want to take Games Programming in uni. What would be the better option of the two? As I don't believe ICT is counted as a 'numberative' subject. Thanks
Reply 1
My friend is doing Games Programming in University of Derby and we did Btec IT.
Reply 2
ICT A level isnt regarded as a numerate subject however the IT BTEC you can cover maths, programming, computer architecture and i believe there is a games programming module

I did the IT BTEC and i am now a second year Computer Science student which is the degree in the IT/Computing area that involves the most maths and im doing fine, a lot of universities do not like ICT as an A level however the IT BTEC is more closely related to Computing/CS A level and thats why it is accepted at most universities, for example at my university, they dont accept A level ICT however the do accept the IT BTEC providing you have done a few of the programming and/or software development modules and thats for Computer Science.

You wont have any trouble getting a place to study Games Programming if you take the IT BTEC, and also Engineering isnt as relevant although the maths you learn in Engineering may benefit you with games programming as i believe there is some focus on Calculus in the BTEC Engineering maths modules.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for the replies, just a quick question. Did you not take AS level Maths alongside IT? As I am not eligible to take it. Also the IT BTEC isn't an extended diploma. Would that still be good enough for university?
Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by treewilly
Thank you so much for the replies, just a quick question. Did you not take AS level Maths alongside IT? As I am not eligible to take it. Also the IT BTEC isn't an extended diploma. Would that still be good enough for university?
Thanks again!

If it isnt an extended diploma then you would have to take something else with it to make it up to 3 A levels

you only have to take maths A level with the BTEC if you are looking to go to a top 10 university to study Computer Science, most places do not require it.

do you know how many credits your BTEC is worth?

If it is the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT then it is worth 2 A levels so you would need to take a third to be able to get into university, i would highly recommend that to be maths as it would open a few more university options, failing that you could always look at taking A level Use of Maths, A level Physics, A level Electronics or A level Computing as they would all pair up nicely with the IT BTEC

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply