The Student Room Group

Should i teach myself Further Maths?

I'm interested in taking Maths and Computer Science at uni and i've just started my A2 studies in Maths, Computing and Psychology and got 2 A's and a B (in Psych) for AS.
As my desired course doesn't really need psychology and i don't really enjoy it anymore i've been thinking recently that maybe i should drop it and take further maths as i've already done my D1 paper and got an A and a D in FP1 as i didn't devote any time to it. The problem is that my school doesn't timetable further maths so i would have to teach myself it but my teachers have said they would help and a few friends study it too. I have quite a busy life so i cant really take 4 A2 levels but i just feel that i'll have more motivation to work on Further Maths than on Psych as i enjoy it much more.
Do you think i should drop Psych and take Further Maths although its more work or just stick to Psych and suffer for a year? I feel i would get a better mark in Further Maths but its a bit risky.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Connolly1370
I'm interested in taking Maths and Computer Science at uni and i've just started my A2 studies in Maths, Computing and Psychology and got 2 A's and a B (in Psych) for AS.
As my desired course doesn't really need psychology and i don't really enjoy it anymore i've been thinking recently that maybe i should drop it and take further maths as i've already done my D1 paper and got an A and a D in FP1 as i didn't devote any time to it. The problem is that my school doesn't timetable further maths so i would have to teach myself it but my teachers have said they would help and a few friends study it too. I have quite a busy life so i cant really take 4 A2 levels but i just feel that i'll have more motivation to work on Further Maths than on Psych as i enjoy it much more.
Do you think i should drop Psych and take Further Maths although its more work or just stick to Psych and suffer for a year? I feel i would get a better mark in Further Maths but its a bit risky.

It's your choice.

However, teaching yourself Further Maths would be very difficult... it sounds like you'd have a heck of a lot of work to do:

- retake FP1
- learn FP2 + FP3 + two more applied modules

That's 5 exams you'd have to go through for it if I'm not mistaken. Not easy :frown:
Original post by Connolly1370

If you're doing Maths and Computer science at uni then I'd recommend Further Maths.

It's risky, yes, but if you're good at Maths and you work hard an A or above is perfectly possible in a year.

It's a good opportunity to do D2 (if that isn't your A2 module anyway) as well as some stats or Mechanics, and it'll definitely help with the Maths parts of your degree. And it's easier to do something you enjoy anyway, so if Psychology isn't needed for most/all of your choices and you don't enjoy it.. Further Maths would be a good idea.
Original post by SeanFM
If you're doing Maths and Computer science at uni then I'd recommend Further Maths.

It's risky, yes, but if you're good at Maths and you work hard an A or above is perfectly possible in a year.

It's a good opportunity to do D2 (if that isn't your A2 module anyway) as well as some stats or Mechanics, and it'll definitely help with the Maths parts of your degree. And it's easier to do something you enjoy anyway, so if Psychology isn't needed for most/all of your choices and you don't enjoy it.. Further Maths would be a good idea.

Yup further maths is definitely more rewarding and challenging than psycology.But its up to you. If you feel you arent capable of it then just stop it.

Quick Reply

Latest