The Student Room Group

Suspended from work..is this going to show on my employment records?

Hi, I was suspended from work on the basis of refusing to take a drugs test at work. I admitted to smoking cannabis over the weekend, and therefore said I refuse to take it because the outcome will come positive. My question is, will this be on my employment history, I really want to break into law, and I'm going to law school this October. I've only been with the company for a matter of two days, so I'm not going to have them as a reference for future employers. I believe this is going to stay on my employment record for a mere 9 months, is that correct? Any help would be appreciated - thank you.
Original post by Adam_90
Hi, I was suspended from work on the basis of refusing to take a drugs test at work. I admitted to smoking cannabis over the weekend, and therefore said I refuse to take it because the outcome will come positive. My question is, will this be on my employment history, I really want to break into law, and I'm going to law school this October. I've only been with the company for a matter of two days, so I'm not going to have them as a reference for future employers. I believe this is going to stay on my employment record for a mere 9 months, is that correct? Any help would be appreciated - thank you.

Don't use them as a reference, I'd quit tbh now, consider that job fff'd.

I was fired for (among other things) smoking weed just before work. Haha this was back in my wild days (i have since calmed down and changed dramatically now, wouldn't smoke a puff these days)

but yeah, I was doing soul destroying "chugger" work, essentially I was knocking on people's doors trying to get them to donate to charity, with my managers breathing down my neck to be a bit more "convincing" i.e guilt trip.

It was a really ****ty experience, when I was fired, I sent my old manager a text calling him a fat piece of **** and a load of other things.

I just pretend I never worked there, it was some ****ty summer job, no one is going to find out, I didn't break the law (or at least get caught).

I've since seriously "fixed up" as a person, back then I was off the rails man, but yeah, obviously wont use them as a reference, just pretend I never worked there. if I am ever confronted about it, I will flatly deny any association, there's no way anyone will find out though, sure companies keep records but there's not a single huge employer database with the in's and out's of everyones little summer jobs is there :smile:

You'll be fine
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheMaster102
Don't use them as a reference, I'd quit tbh now, consider that job fff'd.

I was fired for (among otter things) smoking weed just before work. Haha this was back in my wild days (i have since calmed down and changed dramatically now, wouldn't smoke a puff these days)

but yeah, I was doing soul destroying "chugger" work, essentially I was knocking on people's doors trying to get them to donate to charity, with my managers breathing down my neck to be a bit more "convincing" i.e guilt trip.

It was a really ****ty experience, when I was fired, I sent my old manager a text calling him a fat piece of **** and a load of other things.

I just pretend I never worked there, it was some ****ty summer job, no one is going to find out, I didn't break the law (or at least get caught).

I've since seriously "fixed up" as a person, back then I was off the rails man, but yeah, obviously wont use them as a reference, just pretend I never worked there. if I am ever confronted about it, I will flatly deny any association, there's no way anyone will find out though, sure companies keep records but there's not a single huge employer database with the in's and out's of everyones little summer jobs is there :smile:

You'll be fine

Thanks a lot for the response, it was just a summer job for me, and i just so happen to last for only two days lol, but I've told them I was going to leave anyway, and so therefore, they're going to send me a p45. I know this might sound stupid, but they have my national insurance number, if another employer checks my national insurance number, wouldn't it say I worked there, and if so, why I left?
Original post by Adam_90
Thanks a lot for the response, it was just a summer job for me, and i just so happen to last for only two days lol, but I've told them I was going to leave anyway, and so therefore, they're going to send me a p45. I know this might sound stupid, but they have my national insurance number, if another employer checks my national insurance number, wouldn't it say I worked there, and if so, why I left?

I don't think that's how it goes. Like when I've applied for other jobs I've omitted jobs I did- if the application for was a fixed size etc. Nothing was ever mentioned of the job that I didn't mention. It's not like you have a criminal record you just got suspended.
Reply 4
Original post by anonymouspie227
I don't think that's how it goes. Like when I've applied for other jobs I've omitted jobs I did- if the application for was a fixed size etc. Nothing was ever mentioned of the job that I didn't mention. It's not like you have a criminal record you just got suspended.

Thank you every so much, I was really worried. I've worked so hard to be in the position I am, and for a stupid mistake ( I don't usually take drugs I did this weekend because it was my friends birthday) and for that to ruin my future.
Thanks
Original post by Adam_90
Thank you every so much, I was really worried. I've worked so hard to be in the position I am, and for a stupid mistake ( I don't usually take drugs I did this weekend because it was my friends birthday) and for that to ruin my future.
Thanks

Your future isn't ruined. But yeah defo be careful about the choices you make because as you said you worked really hard and its devastating when you can lose it
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
In this instance you are ok. But all it would take is a future possession caution by the police and you would have to declare this in your SRA "suitability test" if you chose to become a solicitor.

But the same could be said if you had been charged for drunk and disorderly.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I'm glad I can learn from this and never make this mistake - thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending