The Student Room Group

How to flirt with a guy you like in a group setting?

Hey,

I like a guy from one of my societies at university and I mean like in terms of wanting to get to know him better and hopefully date him not just wanting to have sex with him (so please don't tell me to do something provocative lol). The society usually meets once a or twice a week and we go for drinks after - nothing crazy just a chat in the pub and I don't really drink anyway.

We have talked lots with others being around and he always sits near me but I find it difficult to express interest with an 'audience' present and I'm quite shy when it comes to flirting as it is. Are there any ways that I can show him I like him without looking like 'easy' in front of others? And how about flirting by touch with making it too forward? And any clever ways of 'isolating' him?

He often gives me a hug when I go (he doesn't do this with others) or tries to leave at the same time as me so walks with me to get food before we part ways and again I get my hug :h: Should this keep happening how do I take the next step? I'm really scared of coming across as desperate.

By the way I don't have social media to contact him and he once asked for my number but I declined by accident as he was asking subtly but I didn't realise until later. How can I now give him my number?

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I like a guy from one of my societies at university and I mean like in terms of wanting to get to know him better and hopefully date him not just wanting to have sex with him (so please don't tell me to do something provocative lol). The society usually meets once a or twice a week and we go for drinks after - nothing crazy just a chat in the pub and I don't really drink anyway.

We have talked lots with others being around and he always sits near me but I find it difficult to express interest with an 'audience' present and I'm quite shy when it comes to flirting as it is. Are there any ways that I can show him I like him without looking like 'easy' in front of others? And how about flirting by touch with making it too forward? And any clever ways of 'isolating' him?

He often gives me a hug when I go (he doesn't do this with others) or tries to leave at the same time as me so walks with me to get food before we part ways and again I get my hug :h: Should this keep happening how do I take the next step? I'm really scared of coming across as desperate.

By the way I don't have social media to contact him and he once asked for my number but I declined by accident as he was asking subtly but I didn't realise until later. How can I now give him my number?

Thank you

Why do you part ways? Just hang out with him.
Reply 2
Original post by cole-slaw
Why do you part ways? Just hang out with him.

Because it's usually late when we leave like 11-12pm and I have to get the tube home. I suppose I could stay later and get the night bus.
Where could we go casually after? I suppose maybe I can sit and an invite him eat my food with him and just talk?
Sorry I'm really bad at ideas!
Reply 3
Because it's usually late when we leave like 11-12pm and I have to get the tube home. I suppose I could stay later and get the night bus.
Where could we go casually after? I suppose maybe I can sit and an invite him eat my food with him and just talk?

Or when you part ways you could say something sweet like you really appreciate his company and see how he reacts to that :h:

Or casually ask if he wants to go for a drink on a different night.

Do you have any common interests that you might enjoy doing together?
Reply 5
Original post by Ephilas
Or when you part ways you could say something sweet like you really appreciate his company and see how he reacts to that :h:

Aw that's such a cute idea thanks I will try that :smile:

Or casually ask if he wants to go for a drink on a different night.

Do you have any common interests that you might enjoy doing together?

Yes the society we go to (I'm not going to say what it is due to anon) he is a lot more experienced and confident in the activity than me so I was thinking of maybe asking him to help me out to get my skills and confidence sometime but I don't want to seem like I'm pestering him. The whole reason I joined the society was to try something new and tackle my anxiety and it's really helping but I still don't feel very confident. Do you think that would weird him out? I'm sure he would be happy to help though.

Any tips on asking him to go for a drink but keeping it classy? Sorry I'm not very good at this :s-smilie:
Aw that's such a cute idea thanks I will try that :smile:

Yes the society we go to (I'm not going to say what it is due to anon) he is a lot more experienced and confident in the activity than me so I was thinking of maybe asking him to help me out to get my skills and confidence sometime but I don't want to seem like I'm pestering him. The whole reason I joined the society was to try something new and tackle my anxiety and it's really helping but I still don't feel very confident. Do you think that would weird him out? I'm sure he would be happy to help though.

Any tips on asking him to go for a drink but keeping it classy? Sorry I'm not very good at this :s-smilie:

That might work, or it might be better if you have any other common interests (eg like the same music, like to go bird watching, literally whatever) to invite him to do that with you.

When you say goodbye, just say "hey, are you free one night this week to go for a drink?".

Suggest a nice bar that you want to try and you think he might like the beer there. Or something personal like that.
Reply 7
Sounds like an easy task. I would start by asking if he wants your number.

You already have something going, so don't think much about the consequences and just take the easy route. Anything will pretty much work.
Reply 8
That might work, or it might be better if you have any other common interests (eg like the same music, like to go bird watching, literally whatever) to invite him to do that with you.

When you say goodbye, just say "hey, are you free one night this week to go for a drink?".

Suggest a nice bar that you want to try and you think he might like the beer there. Or something personal like that.

Ooo that's a good idea thank you I shall make it personal :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jido
Sounds like an easy task. I would start by asking if he wants your number.

You already have something going, so don't think much about the consequences and just take the easy route. Anything will pretty much work.

Yeah you're right maybe I'm over thinking it I do that a lot!
It's as clear as daylight that he likes you as he wouldn't be taking the time to wait for you, hug you or talk to you more than the others in the society. I suspect, as a lad, he'll be kicking himself everyday for not asking you out.

I reckon you should continue the routine you mentioned for a while and give him a chance to open up to you. If you feel like he isn't, then don't be afraid to prompt him with subtle hints and eventually become more explicit with your hints (e.g ask for phone number, ask him if he wants to grab a coffee one day etc)

Let us know what happens, best of luck!
Original post by Gazzaaa
It's as clear as daylight that he likes you as he wouldn't be taking the time to wait for you, hug you or talk to you more than the others in the society. I suspect, as a lad, he'll be kicking himself everyday for not asking you out.

I reckon you should continue the routine you mentioned for a while and give him a chance to open up to you. If you feel like he isn't, then don't be afraid to prompt him with subtle hints and eventually become more explicit with your hints (e.g ask for phone number, ask him if he wants to grab a coffee one day etc)

Let us know what happens, best of luck!

I know I wish he would have asked me out! I suppose it is unlikely that he would yet since he didn't even get my number. But thanks that's really useful info you've given me I'm definitely taking notes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending