The Student Room Group

How long does it take for a HSBC Student bank account to be approved?

About a month or so ago, I applied for a student account with HSBC, and a few weeks later I got a letter telling me to go into my local branch with my passport and paperwork. I did and after the guy said it should be approved soon.

However, I haven't heard anything since and university starts in 3 weeks. Also, it said you get a £60 amazon voucher when you sign up for a student bank account with them. I need this voucher as soon as possible because I plan to buy an item I need for my course, which I wouldn't be able to afford without the voucher.

Does anyone know how long it should have taken or have any ideas?
Reply 1
You should have gone to the local branch to begin with rather than doing it online or by the phone. It should take no longer than a week to get your card and another couple of days for your pin. The amazon voucher may take a while.
Reply 2
Original post by cmfunk
You should have gone to the local branch to begin with rather than doing it online or by the phone. It should take no longer than a week to get your card and another couple of days for your pin. The amazon voucher may take a while.

I went down to my local branch after posting this, and the bank has been messing me about. It wasn't an issue on my end, they had been holding back my application for no reason. The received my information and paperwork the day after I went into the bank, which was nearly a month ago. It is now stuck in a log of 200-300 student bank accounts waiting to be processed. The women I spoke to wasn't happy about the situation because it shouldn't have happened and she apologised to me on the banks behalf. She said I can make a complaint because she told me I should have received my account details a week after going into the bank. She made the complaint on my behalf and said hopefully this will speed up the process.

Quick Reply

Latest