The Student Room Group

My new flatmates talk too much, what should I do?

We are all girls and they are lovely enough but they just talk way too much. It's not even anything interesting most of the time either, just mindless small talk going on and on and on and I find exhausting.

Although I'm not shy, I'm not a huge talker and I find this sort of aimless chatter really excruciating. But I don't want my quietness to be mistaken as aloofness or rudeness.

What should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
We are all girls and they are lovely enough but they just talk way too much. It's not even anything interesting most of the time either, just mindless small talk going on and on and on and I find exhausting.

Although I'm not shy, I'm not a huge talker and I find this sort of aimless chatter really excruciating. But I don't want my quietness to be mistaken as aloofness or rudeness.

What should I do?

I had that. I just hid in my room and went into the kitchen when it was free.
Occasionally try to turn the conversation to a more engaging topic. Ask them their opinions on things that interest you. If they are mindlessly chattering away about sh*t, take the lead in conversations and make a concentrated effort to show them your own personality.

Good luck
Reply 3
Try and join in on the subjects you find interesting. Respond if they ask you a question, sometimes even question them on things they talk about. Don't force yourself to become too involved or you might come across as 'fake'
Honestly don't sweat it, it's not the end of the world if you don't talk 24/7.
Reply 4
Sew their mouths shut.
Rko them?
Reply 6
Same situation last year, dislike those meaningless talks but still wanna keep a well relationship, my opinion is don't show you are annoyed, talk to them normally when there's a need, or have a joke with them sometimes. I would go to the studying room in our dorm when they were noisy and came back when it's time to sleep.
Hope I could get some quite roommates this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending