The Student Room Group

will i struggle with these a levels

are those 4 subjects at AS going to be really hard and time consuming.. I'm willing to put in work but I'm not one of those people who can do loads every day after school i get so distracted
(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds ok but you will need to work your *ss off if you want to pass them!
Original post by ellen199
I'm taking biology chemistry geography and maths (i will only do maths AS cos bio and chem are linear now and want to carry on geog) but i don't know if these subjects are gonna be too hard for me
i was going to change maths to philosophy/ethics and take that for as level or just take 3 subjects but the head of sixth form said I'm too clever to just do 3!? but apparently unis don't really care about as levels anymore?
i got 5 A*'s and 5 A's in my GSCE's, but no idea how i was not expecting even 1 A*
so basically are those 4 subjects at AS going to be really hard and time consuming.. I'm willing to put in work but I'm not one of those people who can do loads every day after school i get so distracted

Biology, Chemistry and Maths are a definite step up. Geography I don't know much about.

It's going to be hard work and it's going to be time consuming - that's the truth. You don't need to do loads after school as long as you keep up with homework and go over your stuff periodically. With any luck, you'll have teachers who will test you regularly so nothing will slip your mind completely between now and exam season.

Most universities make offers based on three A-levels but depending on the course a lot of them stipulate you have a fourth AS level at a certain grade so I would take four just to be sure.
Reply 3
Original post by Hydeman
Biology, Chemistry and Maths are a definite step up. Geography I don't know much about.

It's going to be hard work and it's going to be time consuming - that's the truth. You don't need to do loads after school as long as you keep up with homework and go over your stuff periodically. With any luck, you'll have teachers who will test you regularly so nothing will slip your mind completely between now and exam season.

Most universities make offers based on three A-levels but depending on the course a lot of them stipulate you have a fourth AS level at a certain grade so I would take four just to be sure.

okay thank you. do you think it would be much easier if i changed maths to rs? i really want to focus on getting good grades in biology and geog
Original post by ellen199
okay thank you. do you think it would be much easier if i changed maths to rs? i really want to focus on getting good grades in biology and geog

It depends on what you find easier, really. If you have a natural talent for maths, go for that. Or if you're better at humanities, go for that. Maths at AS, I felt, isn't that difficult but A2 Maths is horrendously difficult so that's one thing to consider...
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
It depends on what you find easier, really. If you have a natural talent for maths, go for that. Or if you're better at humanities, go for that. Maths at AS, I felt, isn't that difficult but A2 Maths is horrendously difficult so that's one thing to consider...

I do find maths easy and enjoyable but that was GCSE haha, i think ill give maths AS a go then, thank you!
you have the grades at GCSE which shows now much effort you seem to be putting in, doing a science or math is one of the hardest graded Alevel subject but as long as you are willing to put the work in and effort even if you think they are too hard when you start them then go for it. Im sure you will do well.
if you think it may be too hard when you start then take one away and only do three, and if you school makes you do four then choose an easier subject to balance out the work (I chose photography as my easier subject)
hope this helps
Reply 7
Original post by katieMCR
you have the grades at GCSE which shows now much effort you seem to be putting in, doing a science or math is one of the hardest graded Alevel subject but as long as you are willing to put the work in and effort even if you think they are too hard when you start them then go for it. Im sure you will do well.
if you think it may be too hard when you start then take one away and only do three, and if you school makes you do four then choose an easier subject to balance out the work (I chose photography as my easier subject)
hope this helps

thank you, if i find its too much ill maybe do EPQ instead

Quick Reply

Latest