The Student Room Group

What exactly is happening in Syria to cause the refugee crisis?

Now I understand that there are wars going on and there are mass conflicts of interest but why? who? when? I sort of get the basics of it but not much else... Some explanation of it all would be appreciated. Cheers

Scroll to see replies

They just want to come over and see what this whole Corbynmania thing is all about.
Original post by WoodyMKC
They just want to come over and see what this whole Corbynmania thing is all about.

Jez we can!
Reply 5
You really don't want to know the real explanation for all the conflicts that have happened in this century.
Original post by jackhaugh
Now I understand that there are wars going on and there are mass conflicts of interest but why? who? when? I sort of get the basics of it but not much else... Some explanation of it all would be appreciated. Cheers

The link posted earlier is pretty good. It started as a civilian uprising in 2011, and government forces shot at protestors, killing many. Army defectors and some civilians who took up arms started to fight back. Armed activity by rebels started to pick up around October 2011, and escalated over the next few months as the rebels grew in strength. By mid 2012 it was in a full scale civil war.

The rebels aren't just one group, they're lots of different groups, including some Islamists. ISIS used to be an ally of the rebels but then ended up splitting off and fighting them. The Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate (the Nusra front) fights alongside other rebels but has attacked some western backed rebel groups in the past (while still working with others, it's a bit of a weird situation).
Then you have the Free Syrian Army and the Islamic Front, both of which are umbrella organisations with many different member groups in them. The Kurdish YPG are a totally different kettle of fish.

Iran backs the Assad government, and supplies weapons and ammunition. Russia does the same, and has backed them at the UN by blocking UN resolutions. Hezbollah, a Shia group in Lebanon, supports Assad and fights alongside the Syrian government. Many of the gulf states like Saudi Arabia support the rebels, and have supplied weapons, sometimes to Islamist groups. Turkey and Jordan allow weapons to cross their borders to the rebels. The UK and USA (and some other western countries) oppose Assad but haven't done much about that (and can't really).

I've been following the Syrian war pretty much since it started, so if you're unsure about something or just want to know more, just ask me and I should be able to help.
The British Empire actually drew up many of the borders in the middle east - notice how quite a few of them are long straight lines. So you end up with multiple 'groups' of people in one country and some groups are under represented and often ignored by the group in power. You get tension and eventually violence occurs. The BBC article is an oversimplification.
Original post by RFowler
The link posted earlier is pretty good. It started as a civilian uprising in 2011, and government forces shot at protestors, killing many. Army defectors and some civilians who took up arms started to fight back. Armed activity by rebels started to pick up around October 2011, and escalated over the next few months as the rebels grew in strength. By mid 2012 it was in a full scale civil war.

The rebels aren't just one group, they're lots of different groups, including some Islamists. ISIS used to be an ally of the rebels but then ended up splitting off and fighting them. The Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate (the Nusra front) fights alongside other rebels but has attacked some western backed rebel groups in the past (while still working with others, it's a bit of a weird situation).
Then you have the Free Syrian Army and the Islamic Front, both of which are umbrella organisations with many different member groups in them. The Kurdish YPG are a totally different kettle of fish.

Iran backs the Assad government, and supplies weapons and ammunition. Russia does the same, and has backed them at the UN by blocking UN resolutions. Hezbollah, a Shia group in Lebanon, supports Assad and fights alongside the Syrian government. Many of the gulf states like Saudi Arabia support the rebels, and have supplied weapons, sometimes to Islamist groups. Turkey and Jordan allow weapons to cross their borders to the rebels. The UK and USA (and some other western countries) oppose Assad but haven't done much about that (and can't really).

I've been following the Syrian war pretty much since it started, so if you're unsure about something or just want to know more, just ask me and I should be able to help.

A lot more to be said, and one very important thing on top of it - you didn't expose (and common people are not informed at all) about the work of the British intelligence and USA agents in this area and what exactly they do there, and why ISIS is so much angry to the British intelligence particularly.

Most of the blood sheds were recorded with British participants and captives.
Original post by Alex9999999999
A lot more to be said, and one very important thing on top of it - you didn't expose (and common people are not informed at all) about the work of the British intelligence and USA agents in this area and what exactly they do there, and why ISIS is so much angry to the British intelligence particularly.

Most of the blood sheds were recorded with British participants and captives.

I tried to keep it as short as I could, this is very much a basic summary.

I could go on and on for ages. The factions part is a lot more complicated (there are loads of groups involved, the FSA and IF are umbrella organisations rather than single unified armies). I could explain the course of quite a few offensives and battles as well. But I won't go into that level of detail unless I'm specifically asked about it.
Original post by RFowler
I tried to keep it as short as I could, this is very much a basic summary.

I could go on and on for ages. The factions part is a lot more complicated (there are loads of groups involved, the FSA and IF are umbrella organisations rather than single unified armies). I could explain the course of quite a few offensives and battles as well. But I won't go into that level of detail unless I'm specifically asked about it.

Compliments.

You are the first person I see in this website to be realistic, well informed and really careful about exposing the true story.

I would be grateful if you do it, I ask you politely. I am grateful to see at least one person to be interested to understand the story, not only hysteria, shouting and clowns around.

Respect.
Original post by jackhaugh

Syria no longer exists in effect. The rebels and Assad are fighting over the western half of the country, ISIS have largely conquered the Middle and the Kurds have the north east of the country (which they will never ever give back). The UN believe that 84% of Syrian business has closed and that their GDP would take 30 years to recover if the war ended tomorrow, damage in the cities is comparable to WW2. The result of western inaction is that over 300,000 are dead and millions have fled the country.

The only recent difference in events is that the EU gas stupidly said they can come.
IN for (hopefully) RFowler's longer summary.
History is happening in Syria.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
IN for (hopefully) RFowler's longer summary.

I can't really go much further than that unless I'm specifically asked about something, otherwise I have no idea where to start.
Original post by RFowler
I can't really go much further than that unless I'm specifically asked about something, otherwise I have no idea where to start.

What turn you on to learn and look for the truth about the Syria story?
Original post by Alex9999999999
What turn you on to learn and look for the truth about the Syria story?

I've been following it in the news since it started because I was interested to see how it plays out, considering it's history in the making. This year I've been using the reddit community for the Syrian civil war to follow it in even greater detail.
Original post by RFowler
I've been following it in the news since it started because I was interested to see how it plays out, considering it's history in the making. This year I've been using the reddit community for the Syrian civil war to follow it in even greater detail.

Very good for you.

Don't trust the official media judgement, make up your own mind and then work about your own opinion. It is the best ever attitude to stay independent in your studies.

I witnessed many times media to lie openly about something which I was witnessing with my eyes.

You are on the proper track, stay there and never drop this attitude, it will lead you only to prosperity and success.

Leave blind people to be blind. It doesn't happen by force to open their eyes.
Usa and british intervention

Quick Reply

Latest