The Student Room Group

Should we ban smoke breaks at work ?

Well what do you think ?

I dont smoke but personally, I dont think smoke breaks make a major differance to working, I mean you only go out for like 5/10 minutes. Also it depends on the job if its a job where you need to be presentable like working at debenhams and where you interact with customers, I would raher those companies avoid them. Because when you speak to a customer it doesnt look good when you smell of smoke. The smoker might not be able to smell that but for the non smokers, we can tell.

So should we ban smoke breaks ?

Scroll to see replies

Smoking breaks should be banned. Smokers should not get special treatment to exercise their habit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Smoking breaks should be banned. Smokers should not get special treatment to exercise their habit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But still surely we should compensate for their 'needs'. If they have chosen this habbit and its legal.
i think smoking should be banned unless it's in your own house, even then if there are children present it's a huge no-no

throw your hate at me, full power! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww :frown: I quite liked breaking other people's cigarettes and pipes, and now you're trying to stop me.
Reply 5
Original post by diamondluck
i think smoking should be banned unless it's in your own house, even then if there are children present it's a huge no-no

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why ? Should it be banned.
I hardly think it would be constructive, seeing as it's basically impossible to work for 4-5 hours solidy at a desk job. A cig break in the day helps me clear my mind and get back to work in about 5 minutes. Much better than all the gossips who spend half the time chatting and not working.
Original post by redleader1
But why ? Should it be banned.

my uncle is a heavy smoker... my other uncle got cancer from it.
so the reason why i hate smokers is personal, but it's mainly cos it's a waste of money (v. expensive btw), addictive, harmful to small children who breathe it in, passive smokers, ruins your nails and teeth, stinks, makes you look chavvy and chocolate is better :biggrin:
but then on the other side I'm sure nobody will make smoking illegal considering how much money those companies make

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Facist

Well what do you think ?

I dont smoke but personally, I dont think smoke breaks make a major differance to working, I mean you only go out for like 5/10 minutes. Also it depends on the job if its a job where you need to be presentable like working at debenhams and where you interact with customers, I would raher those companies avoid them. Because when you speak to a customer it doesnt look good when you smell of smoke. The smoker might not be able to smell that but for the non smokers, we can tell.

So should we ban smoke breaks ?

Yep, either that or give everyone 5-10 minute breaks. No one should get special treatment based on their personal choices
Nah. It takes about 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette. Unless you want to stop people from getting a coffee too, which takes about the same amount of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely not. Furthermore, they should repeal the smoking ban in pubs/clubs because now, instead of the rich, satisfying aroma of cigarette/weed smoke, all you can smell is BO and Stella farts. :frown:
But still surely we should compensate for their 'needs'. If they have chosen this habbit and its legal.

They choose to smoke. They don't need special treatment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Interzone Agent;59105543]Nah. It takes about 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette. Unless you want to stop people from getting a coffee too, which takes about the same amount of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arguably longer.
Original post by DiddyDec
They choose to smoke. They don't need special treatment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People choose to drink coffee and go for 'coffee breaks' to, even though coffee isn't particlarly good for your health and it takes twice as long to drink coffee than smoke. Should we ban those too??

Although I say this as a non-smoker an non-coffee drinker.

They should be allowed the same amount of break as everyone else. If they choose to divide their break up into multiple 5 minute cigarette breaks, so be it. Taking your break and taking cigarette breaks is where the problem lies.

Original post by VotreAltesse
People choose to drink coffee and go for 'coffee breaks' to, even though coffee isn't particlarly good for your health and it takes twice as long to drink coffee than smoke. Should we ban those too??

Do people take coffee breaks in the same way people taking smoking breaks though? Most people take coffee breaks as part of the main break they're given, I thought? If this isn't the case, then you're right - coffee breaks should be no different. However, I'm not convinced this is the case.
Original post by VotreAltesse

Coffee breaks ?? What at work I never got coffee breaks ?? Infact I would love one ! The only coffee break I had was when I was at uni to take time of doing an assignment.
Reply 16
Seems a fascist to me.

Sure, there's an argument that if smokers disappear out to the smoke shack half a dozen times a day they are getting maybe 30 minutes extra paid doss time.

But then again, whether you are a smoker on a non smoker, a 5 minute break every hour is really not a bad thing. Everybody should be allowed 5 minutes every hour to stretch, get a cup of coffee, take a leak, share a joke with a colleague etc. If the smokers want to use their 5 minutes to nip outside and burn one it's no skin off my nose.
my uncle is a heavy smoker... my other uncle got cancer from it.
so the reason why i hate smokers is personal, but it's mainly cos it's a waste of money (v. expensive btw), addictive, harmful to small children who breathe it in, passive smokers, ruins your nails and teeth, stinks, makes you look chavvy and chocolate is better :biggrin:
but then on the other side I'm sure nobody will make smoking illegal considering how much money those companies make

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but if someone wants to smoke that's their choice.

I'm a non smoker but I have no issue with people having cig breaks.
Reply 18
Yes. Smokers should be able to last through their work without a break if it matters that much to them. I also think that banning the breaks may make it easier for them to quit, and hey, the Government is all for that.

Living with someone who does smoke, and is in a job where they actually can't smoke at work or take a break to the nature of the job, I think it's helped them to start to quit because they have to go most of the day without it.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Absolutely not. Furthermore, they should repeal the smoking ban in pubs/clubs because now, instead of the rich, satisfying aroma of cigarette/weed smoke, all you can smell is BO and Stella farts. :frown:

Same.

Just allow pubs to designate themselves as smoking or non-smoking. Non-smokers can go to a smoke-free pub, smokers get to enjoy a fag with their pint.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending