The Student Room Group

Major and Minor degrees

I am currently looking at Uni course options as I am going into my second year of A-Levels.

One course that interested me was doing a major in English Language and Minor in Journalism. From what I understand (which may be wrong) is that you got one full degree in English Language and one 'half' degree in journalism from this. From the sounds of this, this would be harder than doing just one degree in English Language which is another option I was looking at.

I was wondering if doing a Major and minor course would be harder than doing the single bachelor degree and if it work places would prefer this kind of degree.

Many thanks for any replies:smile:
What is the difference between minor and major degrees?
No, it doesn't work like that. A 'major' means most of your degree is on subjects in that area, with the 'minor' being a few subjects in a different area. Eg Maths WITH physics = mostly maths with some physics. Maths AND physics = same amount of maths as physics. So for the course you're looking at it'll be mostly English language with some journalism.
Original post by KatieB997
I am currently looking at Uni course options as I am going into my second year of A-Levels.

One course that interested me was doing a major in English Language and Minor in Journalism. From what I understand (which may be wrong) is that you got one full degree in English Language and one 'half' degree in journalism from this. From the sounds of this, this would be harder than doing just one degree in English Language which is another option I was looking at.

I was wondering if doing a Major and minor course would be harder than doing the single bachelor degree and if it work places would prefer this kind of degree.

Many thanks for any replies:smile:

You don't get a degree and another half of one. You only get one degree.

Quick Reply

Latest