The Student Room Group

*WARNING* the REASON you are UGLY is because you breath your mouth (orthodontics)

:redface:

While swallowing, the pressure exerted against the anterior teeth by the tongue is estimated to be 500 gms, while the force required to move a tooth is as small as 1.7gm.5

We swallow an estimated 2,000 times per day, and each time we swallow, the tongue pushes upwards and flattens in the roof of the mouth, exerting a considerable force that shapes the jaws. The correct position of the tongue is resting in the roof of the mouth. As the child grows, the top jaw forms around the tongue. In other words, the shape of the top jaw is the shape of the tongue. As the tongue is U-shaped, it results in a broad facial structure with sufficient room to house all teeth. Nature dictates that the shape of the lower jaw will follow that of the top jaw.

When the mouth is open, the tongue cannot rest in the roof of the mouth, resulting in a poorer developed, narrow, V-shaped top jaw. A smaller top jaw leads to a narrow facial structure and overcrowding of the teeth. Low tongue posture seen with oral respiration (mouth breathing) impedes the lateral expansion and anterior development of the maxilla (top jaw).

here are the effects of mouth breathing, notice his chin recesses over the years

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are you saying if I have a cold then I should suffocate to death or face being ugly
(edited 8 years ago)
Source?? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bailfire
Are you saying if I have a cold then I should suffocate to death or face being ugly

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
Original post by Xiuchen
Source?? :smile:

http://www.buteykochildren.com/mouth_breathing_and_facial_devel opment.php

references are at the bottom of that page

[video="youtube;NvoX_wEtwDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoX_wEtwDk&safe=active[/video]
bump for chincels
So you're saying is I breathe through my mouth from now onwards I'll get more handsome or is it too late. Cos i've been breathing through my mouth most of life life due to a nasal condition.
Original post by Straighthate
:redface:

While swallowing, the pressure exerted against the anterior teeth by the tongue is estimated to be 500 gms, while the force required to move a tooth is as small as 1.7gm.5

We swallow an estimated 2,000 times per day, and each time we swallow, the tongue pushes upwards and flattens in the roof of the mouth, exerting a considerable force that shapes the jaws. The correct position of the tongue is resting in the roof of the mouth. As the child grows, the top jaw forms around the tongue. In other words, the shape of the top jaw is the shape of the tongue. As the tongue is U-shaped, it results in a broad facial structure with sufficient room to house all teeth. Nature dictates that the shape of the lower jaw will follow that of the top jaw.

When the mouth is open, the tongue cannot rest in the roof of the mouth, resulting in a poorer developed, narrow, V-shaped top jaw. A smaller top jaw leads to a narrow facial structure and overcrowding of the teeth. Low tongue posture seen with oral respiration (mouth breathing) impedes the lateral expansion and anterior development of the maxilla (top jaw).

here are the effects of mouth breathing, notice his chin recesses over the years

Wow....
I'm just sitting here still breathing through my mouth.
What the hell?
Original post by Bengali

I don't want to be told that from a guy wearing a fedora.
Original post by Frodokins
I'm just sitting here still breathing through my mouth.

you better start mewing
age?
im afraid if you havent finished growing its finito
although you may be able to push your maxilla vertically
Original post by Longshot700
So you're saying is I breathe through my mouth from now onwards I'll get more handsome or is it too late. Cos i've been breathing through my mouth most of life life due to a nasal condition.

did you read my post?
mouth breathing is detrimental for facial development
did you read my post?
mouth breathing is detrimental for facial development

So is it too late? I'm 19.
bump
bump

I've always breathed with me mouth open, i'm off to check meself in the mirror now
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I've always breathed with me mouth open, i'm off to check meself in the mirror now

but when you swallow does your tongue push against the roof of your mouth?
its the tongue that is the most important factor here, you can mouth breath and still develop a normal face providing your tongue does exert pressure against the roof of the mouth

is your chin recessed?
but when you swallow does your tongue push against the roof of your mouth?
its the tongue that is the most important factor here, you can mouth breath and still develop a normal face providing your tongue does exert pressure against the roof of the mouth

is your chin recessed?

my chin doesn't look recessed, but i do push me toungue against the roof of me mouth when i swallow, i don't see how it's possible not too

Quick Reply

Latest