The Student Room Group

The Chav test

Scroll to see replies

15% :u:
Original post by Jack1066
60% chav. I fail to see why eating pot noodles is chavvy, they didn't ask me if I use the word 'cheeky' to describe things.

Also buying own brand stuff is just good economic sense, why pay 2-3 times the price when you can get it cheaper and of a similar quality?

Chavs are smarter than most people give them credit for.

I got 45% borderline.
Reply 22
45%
Dis tess iz siikkkkkkk.
15%.... doesn't really surprise me. I 'apparently' failed on the burberry question... how is that chavvy?
50% Borderline. Just.
65%
Original post by Jack1066
No one uses chav to insult lower class people. Income is not what makes you a chav, its all about your attitude. You can have rich chavs aswell, its just less likely. Chavs normally are lower class, but its their behaviour that gets them the labeling of chav.

Its not about behaviour in the slightest.

Please answer: If you saw a person in red trousers and a blazer being violent would you call them a chav?

Alternatively, do you acknowledge that a perfectly nice person who spoke a bit like dis bro could get called a chav (even if you want to claim that you personally wouldn't)?

Its purely about appearance and the way someone talks. If you choose to ignore the clear correlation with class there that's up to you but you're being very naive.

Everytime I've seen chavs or hipsters mentioned on reddit, no one has said its a class issue,

Of course they have. Its just so normal that you don't even recognise it any more. I mean, you even gave me an 'acronym' for what you thought chav meant, that involved chavs being in social accommodation!!

A couple of examples i've seen: someone boasting about how they sprayed the 'chavs' at the bus stop with water, people shouting at the line of 'chavs' at the job centre, people insulting the 'chavs' who shop at Lidl/Poundland. This quiz who says you're a chav if you buy own brand... could easily go on. Just because people don't say 'i've assessed this person's income and now I hate them!' doesn't mean they aren't making judgements directly relating to someone's social class.

Hipster: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.

I do admit that hipster has a slightly more precise meaning in terms of which upper class people it refers to. But still, I can't see someone who is not well spoken being referred to as a hipster no matter how well they meet your 'definition', can you?

Anyway - believe what you will. I just encourage you to think about the ways in which insults are used. Chav and hipster won't be around for long - they will be replaced by new words. They will have the same meaning and implications though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
20%
85% loool
5%. Higher than I expected.
5%
30%. :lol:
0% Normal :biggrin:
15% (normal)

*wipes sweat from forehead*
11%
>When you realise you got the highest score in the thread :toofunny: