The Student Room Group

Problems at work ?? Quick answers please.

Ive graduated uni and wanted a job part time so I could get some money so I got a job at Mcdonalds. Now im applying everywhere I can related to my field as graduate jobs now take time.

So I was working the night shift and me and another guy usually have a laugh with each other, he was saying how crap I was at working and calling me names. So I started to mock him a bit more too, one could argue it was a bit of banter. He said you dont know what your doing, so what will you ever get out of life. So I said ive graduated got a degree whilst you work in a dead end job the rest of your life.

So he came up to me and said I shouldnt have said that about him as he works hard and does it for the money and that I should listen to him because he's been working there longer and my degree is irrelevant. I said yeah thats fine, I understand but you still shouldnt have mocked me when I was doing my job. He didnt really give a response to that.

He's usually ok, he did say I did a good job cleaning one side but that I should also listen to him. But the manager didnt tell me to do his section.But he was taking the piss I was just doing the same back to him.

Now due to this small incident, I feel confused as to what happend usually he's ok, I mean dont they like the fact about what they said that I should work hard. The manager said I did a good job. However not to sound arrogant I feel that I can do better than Mcdonalds the incident was beyond me and makes me think that more incidents like this will occur and Im starting to see the stereotype of workers in minimum wage and dead end jobs.

There's a lot of gossip about other workers like they'll always talk about guys who dont do to well. God knows what they say about me. What I dont understand is that when people dont do a good job it dosent affect anyone else you are assigned to you section.

What do you think ?
Original post by redleader1
Ive graduated uni and wanted a job part time so I could get some money so I got a job at Mcdonalds. Now im applying everywhere I can related to my field as graduate jobs now take time.

So I was working the night shift and me and another guy usually have a laugh with each other, he was saying how crap I was at working and calling me names. So I started to mock him a bit more too, one could argue it was a bit of banter. He said you dont know what your doing, so what will you ever get out of life. So I said ive graduated got a degree whilst you work in a dead end job the rest of your life.

So he came up to me and said I shouldnt have said that about him as he works hard and does it for the money and that I should listen to him because he's been working there longer and my degree is irrelevant. I said yeah thats fine, I understand but you still shouldnt have mocked me when I was doing my job. He didnt really give a response to that.

He's usually ok, he did say I did a good job cleaning one side but that I should also listen to him. But the manager didnt tell me to do his section.But he was taking the piss I was just doing the same back to him.

Now due to this small incident, I feel confused as to what happend usually he's ok, I mean dont they like the fact about what they said that I should work hard. The manager said I did a good job. However not to sound arrogant I feel that I can do better than Mcdonalds the incident was beyond me and makes me think that more incidents like this will occur and Im starting to see the stereotype of workers in minimum wage and dead end jobs.

There's a lot of gossip about other workers like they'll always talk about guys who dont do to well. God knows what they say about me. What I dont understand is that when people dont do a good job it dosent affect anyone else you are assigned to you section.

What do you think ?

Leave McDonalds and try find a job somewhere else. I've heard too many bad stories about them, and your experience is another one to add to that list.
Reply 2
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Leave McDonalds and try find a job somewhere else. I've heard too many bad stories about them, and your experience is another one to add to that list.

But what about what the guy said ? I mean was he in the wrong or me ? I mean he has worked there longer. Usually he's ok but now for some reason this issue esclated..
But what about what the guy said ? I mean was he in the wrong or me ? I mean he has worked there longer. Usually he's ok but now for some reason this issue esclated..

Just because he's been there longer doesn't give him the rights to mock you and boss you around. But it does mean he can advise you nicely on how to do certain things.

I would say he's in the wrong overall although saying that he'll be in the dead end job his whole life was sort of rude :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Just because he's been there longer doesn't give him the rights to mock you and boss you around. But it does mean he can advise you nicely on how to do certain things.

I would say he's in the wrong overall although saying that he'll be in the dead end job his whole life was sort of rude :tongue:

Lol. What other stories have you heard about Mcdonalds any links was it on TSR ?
Reply 5
It'll be fine as long as he doesn't take it too personally and will brush it off, don't be too quick to give up the McDonald's job though! Wait till you have a good shot at another place (don't tell others at work obviously) before you give it up.

In the end, he's being difficult trying to bump up his ego so don't encourage him because it won't be a joke at this point, Obviously you are defensive because you do feel you're better than this but while you're there just act as if you're both equally qualified. Everyone feels better when they're in the same boat. Using personal to back yourself up in arguments never ends well, I actually think that they will be speaking of you "being up your arse with your degree" rather than doing badly at work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hicong
It'll be fine as long as he doesn't take it too personally and will brush it off, don't be too quick to give up the McDonald's job though! Wait till you have a good shot at another place (don't tell others at work obviously) before you give it up.

In the end, he's being difficult trying to bump up his ego so don't encourage him because it won't be a joke at this point, Obviously you are defensive because you do feel you're better than this but while you're there just act as if you're both equally qualified. Everyone feels better when they're in the same boat. Using personal to back yourself up in arguments never ends well, I actually think that they will be speaking of you "being up your arse with your degree" rather than doing badly at work.

Why shouldnt I tell anyone ? They might moan about that ? True however he started it if he was being polite its different fair enough it can be a joke but he did the same with me. Anyway after I told him not to say how I work negatively. But they started it saying how I was doing badlly. Then again what I dont get it if the manager is ok about it whats their problem my side has nothing to do with them in terms of work.
Reply 7
Yeah :biggrin: It's like you'd never tell people you just met that you're a millionaire for example, just draws way too much attention to yourself. The problem is that's it's gone too far for a joke.

As long as you know you're better, you don't need to say it - just tell him the manager says it's fine and is he wants to break his back at McDonald's then he's welcome to go ahead. That you need to listen to him is just bs, he's just another worker - take advice but he's not in charge of you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hicong
Yeah :biggrin: It's like you'd never tell people you just met that you're a millionaire for example, just draws way too much attention to yourself. The problem is that's it's gone too far for a joke.

As long as you know you're better, you don't need to say it - just tell him the manager says it's fine and is he wants to break his back at McDonald's then he's welcome to go ahead. That you need to listen to him is just bs, he's just another worker - take advice but he's not in charge of you.

I've been a seasonal worker for 2 years. Most people know me. That's why it's weird with this guy usually you can joke but for some reason he took it the wrong way which was weird because he started it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Aaah fair I thought you just started working there, some people are like that to try cover up their own insecurities, I think you hit his weak spot, he probably feels just as bad about his current life in his own spare time ya know?
Original post by hicong
Aaah fair I thought you just started working there, some people are like that to try cover up their own insecurities, I think you hit his weak spot, he probably feels just as bad about his current life in his own spare time ya know?

True he was quiet after we had the argument and when I also told him to stop mocking me, saying that he gave me some advice and also calmed down on the mocking. But still its on my head I cant believe he came up to me to discuss such a small matter that has turned into something big.

Not only that im seeing, a bit of bitchiness oh well we'll see what happens.

he shouldn't be giving you banter if he can't take some in return but it's probably best in general not to point out that you are more qualified and superior to the people you work with, it is going to get their backs up

just keep applying around and stay out of workplace drama

Quick Reply