The Student Room Group

Settling into a levels?

I'm doing Computing, Business Studies and Economics, started a levels yesterday and would like to know how I can settle into a levels quickly. Going to start revising my work throughout this weekend Also do I need to bring my folder to each lesson? I don't see how I'm going to carry three folders in one day...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did different subjects to you, but I'd advise getting into a routine with homework, looking over your notes etc. early on.
Get homework done early whilst stuff you've done in class is fresh in your mind - try to use your free lessons for this! I found it helpful to read over my notes at the end of each day, so I could add things or look stuff up if necessary.
Don't get too hung up on revision yet - you don't want to burn yourself out in the first term! A-levels are hard, so you will need to put in the work, but everyone needs time to relax too!

As for folders, keep them at home, and put the notes you need to have in school with you (i.e. those for the current topic, or for homework you're planning on doing in a free lesson) in a plastic wallet or smaller folder.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Will98765
I'm doing Computing, Business Studies and Economics, started a levels yesterday and would like to know how I can settle into a levels quickly. Going to start revising my work throughout this weekend Also do I need to bring my folder to each lesson? I don't see how I'm going to carry three folders in one day...

seriously .....buy a bag to put your folders in :/
Original post by zumiz
seriously .....buy a bag to put your folders in :/

I'm having the same trouble, bags sometimes cannot carry 4/5 folders so it's a bit impractical considering most bags can only hold 1-2 folders.
---
If you're worried about carrying folders, try and see if the school will give you a locker. All of us are getting lockers next week when our form groups are fully sorted (As we keep moving from group to group lately). If your school doesn't have lockers I would advise purchasing a small plastic folder to carry notes in, you can sort everything out when you get home OR you can just bring in folders for the subjects you have that day (only recommended if you've only got 1-2 of your chosen subjects that day).
Reply 4
This is the same situation I'm in right now I could have done better in German, Chemistry, Sociology and R.E for my GCSEs I got;

Maths-A
English Lit-C
English Lang-C
Chemistry-B
Biology-A
Physics-B
German-A
French-A
Sociology-B
R.E-B
Welsh-B

For AS I'm doing Chemistry,BIology,Maths and German. Have I made the right decision? I've been told by teachers I will do well in Maths, will do well if I work hard in German and Biology and told that Chemistry isn't recommended. However I would like to go into a Biology/Pharmacy course at Uni. Please help?????????
Original post by Zobia_T
This is the same situation I'm in right now I could have done better in German, Chemistry, Sociology and R.E for my GCSEs I got;

Maths-A
English Lit-C
English Lang-C
Chemistry-B
Biology-A
Physics-B
German-A
French-A
Sociology-B
R.E-B
Welsh-B

For AS I'm doing Chemistry,BIology,Maths and German. Have I made the right decision? I've been told by teachers I will do well in Maths, will do well if I work hard in German and Biology and told that Chemistry isn't recommended. However I would like to go into a Biology/Pharmacy course at Uni. Please help?????????

Choose the courses which you are going to enjoy and will get you to where you want to go. Obviously you will need to be good at the course however your success will be down to the work you put in and also being good at a course is part of enjoying it.
Perhaps bring an expanding folder with subsections which you could easily transfer from that into your folder you keep at home. Or simple bring in small A4 folders (not lever arch) which you could use to transport your work.
Original post by Zobia_T

Maths-A
English Lit-C
English Lang-C
Chemistry-B
Biology-A
Physics-B
German-A
French-A
Sociology-B
R.E-B
Welsh-B

Do what you want and look at some uni requirements
Reply 8

I'm starting A-levels on Monday and I've bought 4 lever arch files, one for each subject, and one normal folder to go in my bag. The folder in my bag simply transfers the stuff from lessons to the large files at home. Meaning I don't have to carry my individual subject folders in my bag because it's quite frankly impossible - even when they're empty down to their sheer size.
Original post by Zobia_T

Maths-A
English Lit-C
English Lang-C
Chemistry-B
Biology-A
Physics-B
German-A
French-A
Sociology-B
R.E-B
Welsh-B

same position as you when i was younger, everyone has potential to get an A maybe an A*, work hard and you will get it.
Really disappointed that I got 6A*s and 5As at Igcse... I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and German for as, hope I get 3 As in maths, further and Germabut other two subjects are linear so no as's in them. 50 people in my year got 10A*s and above...
Reply 11
Start looking at past papers in computing. A lot of the answers and questions are repeated through the years (At least they are in AQA and WJEC)
Original post by timster32
Really disappointed that I got 6A*s and 5As at Igcse... I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and German for as, hope I get 3 As in maths, further and Germabut other two subjects are linear so no as's in them. 50 people in my year got 10A*s and above...

You're disappointed with your GCSES! :eek: Oh my don't be you got really good!!:h:
Original post by funkymonster
You're disappointed with your GCSES! :eek: Oh my don't be you got really good!!:h:

Maybe but compare that with every one else in my school...
I did my AS last year and I just carried 1 folder with sections for each subject in, then emptied it into a bigger folder per subject at home when we moved to a new topic. Don't start carrying 4/5 folders around because by Christmas you'll probably have double that...
Original post by timster32
Maybe but compare that with every one else in my school...

Don't compare yourself to others EVER, you should be happy with what you got. I got no A*'s at GCSE, A's in maths and science subjects (except statistics) and geography, B's in all others and I was very happy. Those grades show something, doesn't matter what someone else got if you still got high grades that means something.

My advice:-

- Get a copy of your specification for each subject (teach may help there or contact the exam board).

- Try to get hold of as many past papers as possible (dating back the last 25 years if you can), and get the specimen papers if you are doing the new A levels.

- Get hold of mark schemes too.

- Look at stacks of questions set in your A levels text books that are relevant to each topic.

- Get a few revision guides (Letts, Revision Express etc)

- Don't just learn the facts, make sure you can apply your knowledge to all kinds of situations.

- Take as much advice (in person) from a student who has got AAA/A*A*A* grades in your subjects if you can.

- Students who get the A/A* grades go very deep into their subject - make sure you do too.
(edited 8 years ago)
My school has the rule of an every day folder, so you bring just one each day and empty it about once a month, so that may be an idea if you can't carry all the needed ones.
I agree with the idea that covering your work now, after it's done, isn't a bad idea, but do not go all out doing hours of revision in the first term! You'll tire yourself out too soon, and A-Levels are hard, hard work.
Do your homework as soon as possible, but if you're feeling run down or much too tired, save it for the next day. Again, don't burn out too quickly. Also, ask teachers for help if you need it!
Past papers, mark schemes, examiner reports and syllabuses! Do past papers, mark them, read the examiner reports and have a printed syllabus to know if you've covered everything, but again, not hugely necessary until next year when you start revision properly.

You're in the same position as everyone else who has ever done A Levels.

It's never too early to start doing homework. Last year when I started AS I avoided doing homework for the first month as none was given to me, and that left me at a disadvantage when we got properly into the work because I couldn't remember much. So make sure you look over what you learn everyday when you get home - doesn't have to take hours, just half an hour will be fine. Write up your notes again if they don't make sense or if they're a mess, it helps you later trust me.

Also make sure you understand everything. It's easy to think if something doesn't make sense just forget about it when you move onto the next topic, but you WILL regret this when you start studying in January. You will have to put in so much more time learning it again and trying to understand it. Even if it's just new words that you learn and you forget what they mean, highlight them and maybe make glossary at the back of your book. This helps me as I'm doing French so new words I come across I make sure to learn them and it helps so much. Don't just rely on what the teacher gives you either - do your own research at home as there is only so much time in lessons and this will get you much higher grades. A levels are a huge shock and step up from GCSE's so you must learn to be more independent and do whatever YOU need to do to get the best grades possible, as it is a lot harder to get good grades compared to school.

Make life as easy as possible for yourself when you start revising. It will take a lot of time and effort but you will thank yourself later.

Also with folders, I could only ever fit one in my bag at a time so I took one at a time. Just take what you need for the lesson and leave your folders at home, unless you REALLY need them. Just do what's best for you, even if it means bringing another bag, but you don't really need to. Folders just ensure you have all your work in order in one place.

Good luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Chung224
same position as you when i was younger, everyone has potential to get an A maybe an A*, work hard and you will get it.

Thanks, I will definitely try my best at AS and will hopefully go on to do a Chemistry A Level with an A. Also I was 8 marks from an A overall!! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest