The Student Room Group

Good teachers - how important are they?

I've seen some odd posts on here about people saying that if you work super hard even if you have a bad teacher, it's EASY to get good grades. People say it doesn't matter about a teacher's ability to teach, but I disagree. Even if you have a bad teacher you can obviously do really well but I'm telling you it's not EASY. It actually makes your life a lot HARDER. Teachers are there to teach, you can't learn everything from a textbook, especially if it's something as important as technique. They are extremely important to help you understand, and yes they will make mistakes but at the end of the day they're there to help. if you're paying the big bucks to send your kid to a expensive school of a very high-standard, don't you think it's only fair to expect a high standard of teaching? What are your thoughts?
I also think having a good teacher is incredibly important, for all levels of education. Having a good teacher not only ensures that you get better quality education and that you learn more effectively, but can often also make lessons more enjoyable, and enjoying what you learn makes a big difference in how well you do - if you hate the subject, you're likely to put less effort into learning it :smile:
Reply 2
I think having a good teacher is really important. There have been times where I may have struggled with something but felt I couldn't approach their teacher. If you have a good teacher, you'll enjoy lessons more, be more likely to attend classes etc. Of course if you work hard you can get good grades but you should always have a teacher who will back you up anyway.

When I've had bad teachers or ones who, for whatever reason, haven't liked me, well I've seen the results of that.
Good teachers are SO important.
I had a rubbish teacher in year 9 and was getting Ds in maths.

I had a good teacher in year 10-11 for maths, and came out with a high A*, and I even did the further maths exam and came out with an A.

I had good teachers for science until year 10 and was regularly getting A*s.
Fast forward into year 11 and my teacher was terrible, I got an A in science and an A* in additional but only because I revised them to the death and had to take up time from my other subjects so i could study science.

Also, more than anything, good teachers also tend to be the friendly, supportive, caring ones. It's difficult to engage yourself and do well in a subject where your teacher is stupid and not encouraging.

Being a good teacher isn't necessarily making your kids know everything about the subject you teach. It's about being engaging, being understanding, being personable. You have to make your kids like you and your subjects and make them enjoy your lessons. The subjects I did best in were the subjects in which I had teachers who NEVER failed to give me motivation and encouragement; the teachers who clearly cared about you as a person and your results.

tl;dr: good teachers are important. You can pass your GCSEs with rubbish teachers, but it's so much harder, both academically and mentally.
Of course having a good teacher is important! A good teacher could make the difference between motivating you or demotivating you. If good teachers weren't important then why are teachers constantly monitored by Senior team and probed by Ofsted?
I do think it's very important. Most people end up spending a lot of time self-studying and revising but it just makes things much easier, and for essay subjects or humanities for example where exam technique isn't obvious or needs to be taught it's essential. It was reflected in my GCSE results as well. Music was the subject taught by my only 'bad' teacher who simply refused to teach us the syllabus and acted in a way towards his students that was really out of order and ended up being my one B grade. Obviously a B isn't a bad grade (much as people on TSR like to pretend it's the end of the world) but the point is I probably would have got an A or A* in that too if I'd have been taught properly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest