The Student Room Group

Why do refugees specifically have to come to the UK?

I have a question for any one concerned about the refugee crisis, which I hope is everone! As the picture tries to convey, the refugees are fleeing the war in Syria and many wish to come to the UK or other western European states. However there isn't war in the surrounding Arab or Turkish nations or in the Balkans.

Unlike many people who have shared this picture I am in favour of the UK doing its part to help the refugees but I don't see why it has to be by allowing them to come here. Why can't the UK pay for the housing, support and potentially settlement of refugees in the nations surrounding Syria?

This would remove many problems and concerns people raise concerning refugees. It removes the need to transport refugees hundreds of miles, it allows them to far more easily return home when the war is over, they would be in countries with far more similar cultures to them allowing much easier integration etc. They could even be allowed to work in those countries to stimulate their economies, which those countries need much more than the UK, and to provide for themselves.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Because we'll give them so much more than other countries. The UK is the promised land.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Because we'll give them so much more than other countries. The UK is the promised land.

Indeed. I fear that sentiment among refugees isn't helpful for them or for us as a nation.
There is SO much more opportunity for refugees in Western countries, but they may be coming to the UK because:
1) We provide free healthcare/education.
2) They may be more informed about the immigration process (asylum seeking, visa applications) because information is more readily available.
3) There is more opportunity to claim benefits

But anyway, what are your views on the crisis and should we let more people in? Be honest
Hey Stoic, long time no see :hi:

It's because the UK is rich and has the resources to deal with a large number of them.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I have a question for any one concerned about the refugee crisis, which I hope is everone! As the picture tries to convey, the refugees are fleeing the war in Syria and many wish to come to the UK or other western European states. However there isn't war in the surrounding Arab or Turkish nations or in the Balkans.

Unlike many people who have shared this picture I am in favour of the UK doing its part to help the refugees but I don't see why it has to be by allowing them to come here. Why can't the UK pay for the housing, support and potentially settlement of refugees in the nations surrounding Syria?

This would remove many problems and concerns people raise concerning refugees. It removes the need to transport refugees hundreds of miles, it allows them to far more easily return home when the war is over, they would be in countries with far more similar cultures to them allowing much easier integration etc. They could even be allowed to work in those countries to stimulate their economies, which those countries need much more than the UK, and to provide for themselves.

Because the UK is better
Reply 6
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

It's because the UK is rich and has the resources to deal with a large number of them.

Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

what about other rich countries as UAE? they are Muslims countries too and much richer than we are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222405/How-six-wealthiest-Gulf-Nations-refused-single-Syrian-refugee.html
Original post by The Angry Stoic

Why did you put "come to the UK" in your title and then admit in your first paragraph that their target is W. Europe? Trying to get an audience for the thread or do you choose to ignore that overwhelmingly they are trying to reach Germany? For pretty obvious reasons in that it offers the potential to earn a decent living and so far has made welcoming gestures unlike the UK, where the Tory shires and UKIP trolls rule the roost via their tame poodles in the lying and distorting mass media..
Every country should take an equal burden. UK has played a large role in overseas conflicts and plays a large role in military arms sales.

What's right is right. Dave wanted to arm the FSA and directly intervene in Syria at one point. We should welcome the refugees with open arms.
Free health care, accommodation and until recently, benefits on the first day of arrival.

Obviously the news hasn't spread yet that they'll need to wait to claim benefits now.
To claim benefits of course. Why bother going to countries like the UAE, Qatar, Saudi where they actually have to work for a living when they could get a free ride for them and their families.
Original post by Fango_Jett
To claim benefits of course. Why bother going to countries like the UAE, Qatar, Saudi where they actually have to work for a living when they could get a free ride for them and their families.

It's not that they don't want to go it's that they aren't being accepted. Saudi, Qatar, UAE are FARRRRRRRRRRRR richer than the UK. If i was a muslim i would of packed up a long time ago and went there brah.
Original post by Bill_Gates
It's not that they don't want to go it's that they aren't being accepted. Saudi, Qatar, UAE are FARRRRRRRRRRRR richer than the UK. If i was a muslim i would of packed up a long time ago and went there brah.

Then we should be pressuring them to accept the refugees than continuing to stain our own healthcare and education system. UAE and Qatar needs workers so bad that they have to import them by the truckload from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Countries that have a 90% foreign labour force shouldn't exactly be snubbing them by any means.
Reply 14
benefits
Original post by Fango_Jett
Then we should be pressuring them to accept the refugees than continuing to stain our own healthcare and education system. UAE and Qatar needs workers so bad that they have to import them by the truckload from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Countries that have a 90% foreign labour force shouldn't exactly be snubbing them by any means.

Qatar only has a population of 2 million, UAE has like 9 million. 4 million i believe are displaced. I would not expect them to take them all. But both are much richer than the UK. European countries are arguably need them more due to the ageing population and changing demographics.
Original post by sdotd
benefits

Benefits in the UK are terrible mate.
I remember watching an interview (can't remember on what channel) a while back with some refugees passing through other countries to get to western / northern European countries.

The interviewer asked why they wanted to go to those countries rather than settle in the ones that they passed. They replied that the people in the countries they passed through would racially abuse them and treated them appallingly. They heard that they would be treated with respect and given the opportunity to make a life for themselves in countries such as Germany, Sweden, the UK etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Qatar only has a population of 2 million, UAE has like 9 million. 4 million i believe are displaced. I would not expect them to take them all. But both are much richer than the UK. European countries are arguably need them more due to the ageing population and changing demographics.

An ageing population should only ever be countered with a higher birth rate, it's our own fault that it's happening, and becoming a multicultural failure of a nation by a quick fix with immigration will prove disastrous.
Reply 19
Benefits in the UK are terrible mate.

free housing
free money
free healthcare
no need to work

Quick Reply

Latest