The Student Room Group

How hard would it be to obtain A*'s in these subjects?

Hi, so basically I'm starting my GCSE's and I was just wondering how hard each of these are. Of course I'm not expecting one person to know the difficulty for all of them, but if people could tell me what they know that would be great.

The GCSE's I'm doing are;

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Triple Science
Full course RS
German
French
History
Okay. I'm going into Year 10 now so I don't now if this helps but oh well. I've taken a new GSCE paper on Maths already and it's pretty difficult seeing as they've taken some easy things out and taken things out from A Level maths and put it down into GSCE but don't worry.

Now for History, I done some 'research' on this as I recently had to drop an option. History is generally considered easier if you like English and enjoy writing out papers and such. My older brother enjoyed History in GSCE so much that he took it for A Level. And now he's at university studying English Literature so... Anyway good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm going into Year 11, and I've done most of these. History is apparently difficult (based on the opinions of friends.)
I found French really easy, but some of the speaking tasks are difficult, it takes a while to get used to them.
If you get a good teacher, German is meant to be roughly the same as French.
Triple science is difficult. Just revise and stick to it and you'll do fine.
I found maths easy, but I bombed on my end of year test :s-smilie: Again, revision will help.
English literature: I hate it. The books are rather boring (If they're the same every year) Wuthering Heights and Romeo and Juliet. Yep. Of Mice and Men is a good read, but the other books are boring and therefore hard to read.
Religion is so easy. I got through the whole year with a teacher I HATE, no revision, in a subject I hate (we have to take religious studies), and I got 63/64 on the end of year mock.
Original post by ZainahS
Hi, so basically I'm starting my GCSE's and I was just wondering how hard each of these are. Of course I'm not expecting one person to know the difficulty for all of them, but if people could tell me what they know that would be great.

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Triple Science
Full course RS
German
French
History

It's all subjective but for me (Ive included the grades I got for reference. Keep in mind that with the exception of a couple I really worked hard for my GCSEs):

english lit & lang is easy (A* in both)
maths is quite hard (A)
science isn't that bad, just learn everything but you don't have to understand it (A*)
RS is really easy if you learn your stuff (A*)
German I didn't do
French was easy. I didn't even revise and I got my A
History- well this was the hardest one for me but I still got an A* cos I worked my butt off :smile:
Original post by missmillie12345
It's all subjective but for me (Ive included the grades I got for reference. Keep in mind that with the exception of a couple I really worked hard for my GCSEs):

english lit & lang is easy (A* in both)
maths is quite hard (A)
science isn't that bad, just learn everything but you don't have to understand it (A*)
RS is really easy if you learn your stuff (A*)
German I didn't do
French was easy. I didn't even revise and I got my A
History- well this was the hardest one for me but I still got an A* cos I worked my butt off :smile:

hi I've just started year 11 and I did my year 10 history mock a few months ago and I wasn't very happy with my grade. Do you have any tips for studying GCSE history because I'm really struggling and i'm aiming to get an A or A* for history GCSE...
Original post by tanyakhnm
hi I've just started year 11 and I did my year 10 history mock a few months ago and I wasn't very happy with my grade. Do you have any tips for studying GCSE history because I'm really struggling and i'm aiming to get an A or A* for history GCSE...

hiya :smile: It's really hard I get you. I've just done it for AS as well and honestly you do have to put in more effort than other subjects. I may have done a different exam board (I did AQA) but PM me and I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 6
I got my GCSE's this year and achieved A*s in the following.
Maths: Probably the easiest one to get an A* in, especially if you are already gd at maths, but doing past papers and making sure you understand each topic will help you get an A* cause the questions aren't too difficult.
French: Not sure how to help cause I didn't do any revision but work hard on your vocab and put a lot of effort in with your coursework( if you have any) so that you can go into the exams with top coursework marks.
Science: Definitely look through past papers but with GCSE science its more about what you can memorise cause you don't really need to understand the concepts, just regurgitate what you've memorised.
History: This was the hardest imo, however try and get a lot of practice writing essays so that by the time of the exam you will have a clear structure to your essay meaning the examiner can find marks in your essay easily.
Gd Luck:smile:
I achieved A*s in most of those...its easy
Reply 8
Revising maths is really important. I tend to always get A*s, but on my end of year I started freaking out and got distracted.
AN EXAM INVIGILATOR FELL OVER BEHIND ME AND THEN STOOD THERE FOR THE WHOLE EXAM I COULDN'T CONCENTRATE
I got a B, even sinking to the point where I wrote "7+12=17" on my paper. Trust me, revise for maths.
Original post by ZainahS

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Triple Science
Full course RS
German
French
History

From my experience, easiest to get A* are probably Lit, Language, RS, French, History and Bio.
I am in Year 12 and I did all those subjects as well as Computer Science and Geography but didn't do RS, German or French.

With the exception of English Lang all those subjects are pretty much regurgitating what you have memorised, especially in Triple. The only thing hard about Triple are the new words and the fact you have an extra 3 science papers to sit whilst your friends get to finish school early as they couldn't be bothered to sit an extra 3 for an extra GCSE.

Quick Reply