The Student Room Group

I've had a major change of heart..

If you've seen some of my posts you'd know that I've been pretty harsh about the regugess and the recent events. I've just seen the news and I have to say, that I honestly do not blame these people for coming over here to try and get safety. If it was us British people and we couldn't even leave our doors without the possibility of being killed, then we would be doing the same. We wouldn't stay in an area when the danger is so high.

I see a guy in Bristol has decided to help the refugees and give them a place to stay for a while, I think this is a great idea and other people should be encouraged to do the same. And I'm very aware that on a previous post I have said that there's no way on earth I would do that, but in this case you have to ask yourself, imagine that was me?. It makes me wonder why millionaires aren't doing anything to help, they spend thousands on handbags and designer goods but can't spare anything for those most in need... Maybe i've turned a little soft. But I hate seeing anyone that distressed and in that much danger. I wish there was something that could be done. It's a tragedy.

Scroll to see replies

I'm all for helping out in any way I can, but I'm not having them in my house.
Er... Wealthy people are taxed massive amounts of money which is being donated to the various aid schemes by the government, plus many of them give generously to charity.

I honestly don't think the solution is to take these people in - they are economic migrants coming from safe refugee camps in places like Turkey. The UK and by extension Europe cannot take countries full of people, crisis or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'm all for helping out in any way I can, but I'm not having them in my house.

I can absolutely understand that, and quite honestly- Neither would my mum let anyone random in our house. For the safety of ourselves.
I agree with what the poster above has said; millions has been donated but where do you see the money really put into action and being used efficiently? They'll probably pop up in a month's time and say that they used all the money to, I don't know, give them clean air to breathe on their way here :facepalm:

I wouldn't take them into my home, no.
I would have people in my house in a heartbeat if we had the room.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I agree with what the poster above has said; millions has been donated but where do you see the money really put into action and being used efficiently? They'll probably pop up in a month's time and say that they used all the money to, I don't know, give them clean air to breathe on their way here :facepalm:

The money is being used. Billions have been put into refugee camps.
It is through the idiocy of the "refugees" that they are dying - they are paying obscene amounts of money (that they could spend on their family!) to smugglers to get them out of safe countries rather than just staying and being safe!
They are already in safe, protected refugee camps yet they are ECONOMIC migrants coming to Germany and the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by missmillie12345

That's so lovely of you... I wish more people were like this. I'm really upset over these events
Reply 8

This website needs more people like you.
Original post by elliemayxo
That's so lovely of you... I wish more people were like this. I'm really upset over these events

That lady is just making an excuse. Of course she has the space. She has a 6x3ft space to fit someone in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Just try and imagine yourself in their situations. Helpless and completely on the egde.
Reply 11
I feel the same too. 😔 although I was born here, some of my family actually were refugees
Original post by Xlxl23
I feel the same too. 😔 although I was born here, some of my family actually were refugees

It's really sad. Alot of people consider me as quite harsh and cold but with the recent events, people have changed their opinion. I just wish all this stuff could stop.

You do have the room. You are just accustomed to luxury and feel that you don't wish to share it. Most of your fellow citizens are of the same opinion.

Here is what will happen if the State takes in millions of refugees:

Someone will knock at the door of your house in your nice middle class community. When you will open the door you will find commissar Jamal and commissar Hussein, who will tell you that having such a big house for yourself is not what a moral citizen does and 2 families of migrants will be moving in with you. You will be allowed to keep part of one room and a bed and necessary personal belongings. Everything else in the house will be shared.
Just try and imagine yourself in their situations. Helpless and completely on the egde.

They are in SAFE REFUGEE CAMPS. They are coming from safe countries where food, drink and shelter are being provided. It is THEIR OWN FAULT that they are giving all their money to smugglers to take them on dangerous routes.

They are economic migrants!

Many of them deny food and drink because the aid workers are Christian and wear crosses - they are Muslim so don't accept the food. Don't believe me, just Google it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
To try and get safety?

So Bodrum isn't safe?

France isn't safe?
This Egyptian billionaire wants to buy islands in the Mediterranean for refugees.
I'm all for welcoming them.
The blurry patch is their status. A lot of people seem to think that they're going to come here and stay and most likely integrate into the country. Is that the case? Or, is granting them asylum a more "temporary" measure, as in they'll go back when the situation has much improved (which will take decades if not more) because nobody really wants to leave their country unless they have to? It's complex.
Original post by phoenixsilver
They are in SAFE REFUGEE CAMPS. They are coming from safe countries where food, drink and shelter are being provided. It is THEIR OWN FAULT that they are giving all their money to smugglers to take them on dangerous routes.

They are economic migrants!

Many of them deny food and drink because the aid workers are Christian and wear crosses - they are Muslim so don't accept the food. Don't believe me, just Google it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have children who are being killed right infront of them, their lives are being torn apart... they literally have nothing left. They most likely will not see past all of this. Your comments are awful and you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. 'THEIR OWN FAULT' do you realise how dangerous their own countries are? as I mentioned before, if your only option was to either die, or risk travelling to a dodgy country.. what would you do? Most of these people have children to try and take care of. I hope you never have to go through trauma.
Sometimes, to be able to call ourselves humans with all the moral implication that it comes with, we need to do what is unpopular and difficult. Germany has shown a compassionate side to itself and it's to them we should be looking. I support taking in these war refugees, I don't think any human can look at these images of desperate mothers and dying children and say, no sorry, you can't come here and live, you must die over there.
They have children who are being killed right infront of them, their lives are being torn apart... they literally have nothing left. They most likely will not see past all of this. Your comments are awful and you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. 'THEIR OWN FAULT' do you realise how dangerous their own countries are? as I mentioned before, if your only option was to either die, or risk travelling to a dodgy country.. what would you do? Most of these people have children to try and take care of. I hope you never have to go through trauma.

Whilst I agree with you, you haven't really replied to the other posters points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending