The Student Room Group

Economics?

I'm currently choosing Alevel options and I have put down RS as one of my options but I'm thinking of changing RS to economics instead and I've read up on both options and both are considered to be good Alevels however I don't really have a preference but I don't know if economics is any good. I like maths but I'm good at RS.
Can someone who's done economics Alevel help me by explaining what economics actually is like what you do in the course and what I can get out of it in the future?
Thanks
Original post by Rajput123
I'm currently choosing Alevel options and I have put down RS as one of my options but I'm thinking of changing RS to economics instead and I've read up on both options and both are considered to be good Alevels however I don't really have a preference but I don't know if economics is any good. I like maths but I'm good at RS.
Can someone who's done economics Alevel help me by explaining what economics actually is like what you do in the course and what I can get out of it in the future?
Thanks

Economics is a really interesting subject I think, in AS year you'll study how economics work at both the smallest level (one individual) right up to the impacts on all of us that the government has with taxes, interests rates and such.

In the subject you'll study economic theory such as the relationship between supply and demand, the impact of price - as well as slightly more abstract concepts like elasticity and the difference between long run and short run. You learn to display these concepts using graphs, and eventually evaluate how a change in economic conditions (e.g. a price rise) will impact a market.

As for the future - the course provides logical thinking skills, and essay writing skills in one - its a well respected A Level (as you know) and if you decide on an economics degree, they're some of the best paid graduates there are.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest