The Student Room Group

How does a course transfer affect eligibility for student funding?

Dear Community,
I have come up against an issue with my funding. Having finished my first year of a Law with Business course, I decided to switch to a straight Law course, without the business component. I'm staying at the same uni, the only difference is one module that will change as a result of the transfer. Furthermore, I will continue as a second year student so I'm not starting from scratch. Now, I contacted SFE and they said it will affect my eligibility for the tuition fee loan. It is important to note that I did not receive the tuition fee loan for my first year at uni doing Law with Business course due to the fact that I had 2 years of previous study in Poland. I dropped out of a course at a Polish uni with no qualification to come to study here. That reduced my fee support in such a way that I was not entitled to get the money paid for the first year by SFE so I paid for the year myself. Unfortunately, they see my Law with Business first year as previous study too, which leaves me, according to what they said, with no funding for the 2nd year of the new straight Law course that I transferred to. Can they do that, considering the fact that I'm still a Law student, same uni, same tuition fee amount, same modules except for the business module? I'm thinking of switching back to Law with Business so as to eliminate the possibility of rejection of the money. Have you experienced anything similar to that? I can't help feeling they're making their conditions up. I even spoke to them and they said that the transfer would not impact my eligibility. Now they're saying the opposite. What are my options in this situation?
Whoever you are talking to at SFE was talking nonsense. Keep in mind, the people on the other end of the phone aren't the ones making the rules.

In reality, this can be processed as an internal transfer by your University, and you will be be considered as a returning student.

Also, for argument's sake, even if it were not able to be processed as a transfer, and you did have to reapply as a new student and lose one year of tuition fee eligibility, it wouldn't matter, because it would come off year 1 in the new course. As an entrant straight into year 2, you would be skipping over the ineligible year.

SO whoever you were speaking to at Student Finance was definitely wrong. You will still be eligible for TFL.
Reply 2
Original post by applicationa
Whoever you are talking to at SFE was talking nonsense. Keep in mind, the people on the other end of the phone aren't the ones making the rules.

In reality, this can be processed as an internal transfer by your University, and you will be be considered as a returning student.

Also, for argument's sake, even if it were not able to be processed as a transfer, and you did have to reapply as a new student and lose one year of tuition fee eligibility, it wouldn't matter, because it would come off year 1 in the new course. As an entrant straight into year 2, you would be skipping over the ineligible year.

SO whoever you were speaking to at Student Finance was definitely wrong. You will still be eligible for TFL.

Many thanks for your reply, you improved my mood a lot! I will speak to a Money Advisor at my uni and explain the situation, perhaps this issue can be resolved without any trouble.

Could you please elaborate on the paragraph where you said that either way I still qualify to get the funding? I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending