The Student Room Group

5 A-levels? Help!?

Right so for sixth form I'm moving to a new school. For the first month or so, I'll be studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Still need to talk to the head teacher concerning this though.

My question is, how hard will this be? Maths, Chemistry and Physics alone are a dreadful combination from what I've heard and seen. Adding Further Maths and Biology? Am I just making the next year a living nightmare for myself?

Yes I know there are going to be people here who got "5 A*s at A-level" with ease and I'll have my confidence boosted. I'll probably then come back to this thread next September after experiencing hell itself and wonder how the hell you guys did it. But yeah, thoughts...?
Original post by JustIdris
Right so for sixth form I'm moving to a new school. For the first month or so, I'll be studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Still need to talk to the head teacher concerning this though.

My question is, how hard will this be? Maths, Chemistry and Physics alone are a dreadful combination from what I've heard and seen. Adding Further Maths and Biology? Am I just making the next year a living nightmare for myself?

Yes I know there are going to be people here who got "5 A*s at A-level" with ease and I'll have my confidence boosted. I'll probably then come back to this thread next September after experiencing hell itself and wonder how the hell you guys did it. But yeah, thoughts...?

Hi, I am going into year 13 this year, and for my AS-levels I did physics, chemistry, art, maths and further maths. This year I'm dropping art and carrying on only four subjects to A2. (the reason for this is I'm applying to do physics at uni and it didn't really make sense to be doing art) I understand the system is changing back to just A-levels where you do all the exams at the end of two years (correct me if I'm wrong here).
First of all, what did you get at GCSE, because I think that's a small indication of how you might find it. However, there are lots of other things you need to consider? For example, are you willing to give up a lot of your free time for the next two years? I don't think I was fully prepared for having next to no social life this year, and it was a bit of a shock how much time I had to put aside for schoolwork, especially maths and art.
I personally found it a huge challenge to adjust to doing further maths, not so much because of the difficulty but the pace and sheer quantity of work.
Also, with that many subjects, you learn that at any given time, you are constantly slightly behind in at least one subject (at least I was) and you just learn to deal with that. You need to learn not to get stressed out easily.
Having said all that, I did enjoy all my lessons, and it's great to be able to study that many subjects in so much depth, and I was very happy with my grades this year, so I think it can be done with a lot of hard work. Find out whether you can start all five subjects and drop one later if you find you can't cope, because I think it's worth a shot if you think you'd enjoy all the subjects.
Hope this helps a little...
Reply 2
Original post by halfhearted
Hi, I am going into year 13 this year, and for my AS-levels I did physics, chemistry, art, maths and further maths. This year I'm dropping art and carrying on only four subjects to A2. (the reason for this is I'm applying to do physics at uni and it didn't really make sense to be doing art) I understand the system is changing back to just A-levels where you do all the exams at the end of two years (correct me if I'm wrong here).
First of all, what did you get at GCSE, because I think that's a small indication of how you might find it. However, there are lots of other things you need to consider? For example, are you willing to give up a lot of your free time for the next two years? I don't think I was fully prepared for having next to no social life this year, and it was a bit of a shock how much time I had to put aside for schoolwork, especially maths and art.
I personally found it a huge challenge to adjust to doing further maths, not so much because of the difficulty but the pace and sheer quantity of work.
Also, with that many subjects, you learn that at any given time, you are constantly slightly behind in at least one subject (at least I was) and you just learn to deal with that. You need to learn not to get stressed out easily.
Having said all that, I did enjoy all my lessons, and it's great to be able to study that many subjects in so much depth, and I was very happy with my grades this year, so I think it can be done with a lot of hard work. Find out whether you can start all five subjects and drop one later if you find you can't cope, because I think it's worth a shot if you think you'd enjoy all the subjects.
Hope this helps a little...

Helpful stuff mate, thanks. I didn't do extraordinary at GCSE. My (very) strong points are maths and sciences (obviously) and I got A*s in them. Other than that a some Bs and a C.

One thing that concerns me is the free time. I actually want a social life so I can relate with you there. Honestly I am interested in all those subjects but I would prefer a work load that isn't so immense, but it's the school's requirement which I am yet to quite understand. Like I said, I'll need to talk about it on Monday. But yeah man thanks.
Original post by JustIdris
Helpful stuff mate, thanks. I didn't do extraordinary at GCSE. My (very) strong points are maths and sciences (obviously) and I got A*s in them. Other than that a some Bs and a C.

One thing that concerns me is the free time. I actually want a social life so I can relate with you there. Honestly I am interested in all those subjects but I would prefer a work load that isn't so immense, but it's the school's requirement which I am yet to quite understand. Like I said, I'll need to talk about it on Monday. But yeah man thanks.

If you got A*s in the the subjects you actually want to take, you should be fine in terms of understanding everything, so it's just comes down to whether you want to commit to the work load.
good luck, hope you work everything out!
Done the exact same A-Level, it doesnt boost your Ucas application the only reason you should be doing it is either if you can't decide what exactly u wanna study at uni or you're just interested in the topics. It really isnt worth it
Worst decision of my life doing them exact 5 A levels. Completely pointless. Do 4 or 3! :smile:

Universities want a maximum of 4 qualifications most the time anyway. Generally they want 3. Make life easier!

I agree Maths, Physics and Chemistry are the best combo. I'm doing them for A2 now! Stick with them and perhaps pick one other (maybe an easier AS??) but it is up to you! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jack.lp.thompson
Worst decision of my life doing them exact 5 A levels. Completely pointless. Do 4 or 3! :smile:

Universities want a maximum of 4 qualifications most the time anyway. Generally they want 3. Make life easier!

I agree Maths, Physics and Chemistry are the best combo. I'm doing them for A2 now! Stick with them and perhaps pick one other (maybe an easier AS??) but it is up to you! :smile:

Thanks for the advice.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest