The Student Room Group

What am I missing?

I am planning on applying for TC again this year. I did some last year but I didn't get anywhere so i'm trying to think of ways I can improve my applications. As far as academics are concerned, my A levels were far from spectacular and I got BBC. I managed to get a 1st in LLB law but I didn't go to a RG university.

Regarding work experience, I have worked in a large retail company for four years in a variety of different position. I also worked for my student Union as a supervisor. And more recently I have been involved in the corporate and financial world as I have worked in a pensions company and mainly dealt with the compliance department. I have also worked at a legal advice centre and I have shadowed a lawyer in a magistrates court for a few weeks.

Regarding extra curricular and hobbies, at university I took part in debates, presentations and moots. I also am extremely keen on musical instruments and have taking part in theatre performances. I also have a great interest in sports and have participated in Karate competitions, and attended sports clubs. At university I was involved with the SU and encouraged students to vote etc.

After reading this site, I can tell my problem is that I lack legal work experience but my issue is after applying for vacation schemes and being rejected, I am struggling as to how I can get any relevant commercial experience. I am not overly interested in working for a large MC firm in London I am more interested in working at a national firm such as Freeths, Mills & Reeve, Shoosmiths etc. I just wondered if anyone had any advice? Thanks!
Original post by J-SP
What are your first/second year uni grades like?

I suspect it is that you haven't got commercial legal work experience. Look for ways to build it up - start off with open days/workshops and continue to apply to vacation schemes. Use your university alumni networks/personal networks to find alternative forms of legal work experience (eg working in in-house legal teams for big corporates).

However your extra curriculars all sound quite "singular". Are you selling the team working and leadership aspects of the activities you have undertaken?

Any of these factors and a spelling/grammatical mistake or two could push your application into the unsuccessful pile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My first year grades were usually 60+ averaging at about 62/63 and second year they were mainly 69/70 and I averaged on exactly 70. And yeah I agree regarding the commercial, clearly applying for vacation schemes wasn't getting me far so would you suggest trying to network through open days etc? and am I likely to be allowed to attend these because I have seen many where you have to submit a CV and explain why you want to attend

I think your right though I will need to sell my team working and leadership skills more. Thanks for the advice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Of course you are allowed to attend. Some firms will have some eligibility criteria for specific open days (for instance you won't be able to apply to first year specific ones), but the majority you will be able to where you are eligible to apply for the training contracts available that year.

They can be a great way to build up your CV, show your pursuit to learn more about the career and also gives you a foot in the door to impress the people there. You'd be surprised how easy recruiters can remember those people who come across well at those events and how pleased they will be to see the application from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks a lot for your advice. I am definitely going to take it as I am guessing events will soon be announced. I imagine that after attending one it will give more info about a particular firm to boost my VS apps. Again, thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending