The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn's remarks on The Sun.....

Last night, when asked a question about a quote in The Sun Jeremy Corbyn very proudly stated that he wouldn't know what the quote was because he 'doesn't buy The Sun'. As would be expected of a crowd of Labour party members (i.e. Public sector workers and Union members) this was met by a roar of clapping and cheering and it would seem that Corbyn had just played the ace of spades. However this type of behaviour confirms the reason a proper left wing leader will never be elected in this country. The left are so caught up in their own greatness that they fail to realise that maybe the 4 million people that buy right-leaning populist newspapers daily (The Daily Mail and the Sun) are not idiots being forced into buying tory propaganda that is destroying their brains (Yes that is what many lefties will try to make out) but are in fact simply people buying the newspaper that they most enjoy reading and can relate to the most. The left seem to think they have a monopoly on intelligence and that the 189,000 (hahaha) people who read the guardian are 'right'. Also the Daily Mail website get's more double the number of hits in a DAY (12 million) than The guardian Website gets in a MONTH (6 million) but the left will still believe that they are the correct people and that anything else is wrong and people who disagree are either idiots or horrible
people. If the left wants any hope of being elected anytime soon then they need to stop bigging themselves up about how great they are and telling everyone how what they do is so wrong (TWITTER IS THE HOME OF THIS) and actually try and convince people who read certain newspapers that they have better ideas (if a labour leader gets popular then populist newspapers will follow, thats what they do, support the popular candidate).

Sorry for the rant...

Interested to hear what other people's opinions are of his remarks.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

96 Dead, Don't buy the sun.
Meh I reckon a lot of people buy the Sun for the tits.
And think of places like Liverpool, like no-one buys the Sun there
Original post by United1892
96 Dead, Don't buy the sun.

Classic. I assume you believe that the 2 million that do are horrible people.
Murdoch rags are for intellectually inferior idiots who do as told. Do you expect Corbyn to read The Sun?
This is the problem with the modern left: purport to represent the working man, but at the same time look down on them.
Reply 7
What's up with all the right-wingers here constantly moaning about "the left", yet I barely see any lefties doing the same regarding "the right"?
Anyway, the Mail and the Sun are utter trash. If you want to read a tory paper at least read the Telegraph or Times, or something else with actual journalistic and moral integrity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Classic. I assume you believe that the 2 million that do are horrible people.

No I just believe it's a fair reason not to buy it. I will not buy a newspaper which lied about the deaths of 96 innocent people at a football match.
Reply 9
Original post by yelllowribbon
Meh I reckon a lot of people buy the Sun for the tits.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to buy it as a serious news source, they're buying it for tits and celeb gossip.
Original post by Olie
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to buy it as a serious news source, they're buying it for tits and celeb gossip.

Seriously, it's so awkward on the bus when some old guys sits in front of you on the bus and just spends ages on page 3
Original post by RobML
What's up with all the right-wingers here constantly moaning about "the left", yet I barely see any lefties doing the same regarding "the right"?
Anyway, the Mail and the Sun are utter trash. If you want to read a tory paper at least read the Telegraph or Times, or something else with actual journalistic and moral integrity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably to get away from other social media sites like Twitter and Facebook where you may as well be a serial killer if you are right wing. To be fair TSR is fairly sensible.
I haven't really been following the Labour leadership contest that much, but I thought Corbyn was focusing on ideas. However, as his ideas fall outside the narrow political spectrum of the establishment, he has been subject to some quite vitriolic attacks by the likes of The Sun.
Probably to get away from other social media sites like Twitter and Facebook where you may as well be a serial killer if you are right wing. To be fair TSR is fairly sensible.

They do have a weird stereotype for the left though. I've seen people complain about the left being liberal on one thread then call it totalitarian in another. How can it be both?
A lot of people don't buy newspapers and get their news online or from tv or radio.
Yeah and it follows the same trend. The Mail has 250,000,000 monthly readers, The Guardian has 6 million.

Because the Mail has far more clickbait articles and has at least half of it's internet viewership outside of the UK.
Also the Daily Mail website get's more double the number of hits in a DAY (12 million) than The guardian Website gets in a MONTH (6 million)

Yeah, you've plucked that stat out of your arse:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/17/guardian-website-100-million-users-abc
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/20/mail-online-traffic-metro-standard-mirror
https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/nrs-guardian-co-uk-is-uk-s-top-monthly-news-site/s2/a553108/
The core of OP's post makes a good point, that not all Sun readers are idiots who swallow up the nonsense in its pages. Doesn't mean I can't cheer with Corbyn's supporters (I am not one of them) when someone takes a dig at that squalid little rag, though.
Reply 18
[QUOTE=TheNervousWreck;59117867]Last night, when asked a question about a quote in The Sun Jeremy Corbyn very proudly stated that he wouldn't know what the quote was because he 'doesn't buy The Sun'. As would be expected of a crowd of Labour party members (i.e. Public sector workers and Union members) this was met by a roar of clapping and cheering and it would seem that Corbyn had just played the ace of spades. However this type of behaviour confirms the reason a proper left wing leader will never be elected in this country. The left are so caught up in their own greatness that they fail to realise that maybe the 4 million people that buy right-leaning populist newspapers daily (The Daily Mail and the Sun) are not idiots being forced into buying tory propaganda that is destroying their brains (Yes that is what many lefties will try to make out) but are in fact simply people buying the newspaper that they most enjoy reading and can relate to the most. The left seem to think they have a monopoly on intelligence and that the 189,000 (hahaha) people who read the guardian are 'right'. Also the Daily Mail website get's more double the number of hits in a DAY (12 million) than The guardian Website gets in a MONTH (6 million) but the left will still believe that they are the correct people and that anything else is wrong and people who disagree are either idiots or horrible
people. If the left wants any hope of being elected anytime soon then they need to stop bigging themselves up about how great they are and telling everyone how what they do is so wrong (TWITTER IS THE HOME OF THIS) and actually try and convince people who read certain newspapers that they have better ideas (if a labour leader gets popular then populist newspapers will follow, thats what they do, support the popular candidate).

Sorry for the rant...

Interested to hear what other people's opinions are of his remarks.So, maybe the reason Jeremy doesn't read the Sun is that he doesn't subscribe it's right wing agenda. Credible explanation given his views.

While I am not against browsing this rag and can see the appeal of boobs, photo story, free vouchers and sport etc. I do think we should aspire to a bit more than 5 word sentences, making fools of girls and crude partisan editorial propaganda. It takes 5 mins to read and is virtually devoid of news. Don't think this is a right or left wing view.
The press has almost always been anti-Labour relative to Labour's actual popularity. With the exception of the three elections contested by Blair, where a lot of the press favoured Labour, the Tory-supporting press has always accounted for a higher proportion of newspaper circulation than the proportion of the votes the Tories actually got at the ballot box. Even in the big Labour electoral victories like 1945 and 1966, more than half the press supported the Tories.

A similar phenomenon took place on a huge scale in the Scottish independence referendum - only 1 small Scotland-only Sunday newspaper backed independence, while virtually the entire rest of the press, both Scotland-only and UK-wide, opposed independence, yet when the vote actually came it was far far closer than the press endorsements would suggest.

In general, the Tory-leaning papers, while being read mostly by Tory voters, tend to have sizable Labour-voting minorities (the exception to this rule is the Telegraph). The Labour-leaning papers do not, by contrast, have sizable Tory-voting minorities.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending