The Student Room Group

i think the uk education system is failing me :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Maria1812
Well if school was quite it would be a good place to do extra things, at home i'm very distracted by tv and computer and everything around em at school i feel more motivated.With youtube videos i find it hard to focus i'm a visual person who needs to see things black and white written down rather than listening. In school i could always get help from teachers but at home i cannot get help.

Not everything, in fact almost nothing after school/uni will be on a blackboard with copying word for word, you will need to adapt yourself for the future =) Especially as in university, especially in top unis like you mention - the onus will be on you to do your own independent learning and self-study.

You need to develop these skills fast.
Reply 61
Original post by Hydeman
Sure, I did. I suspected it was an obsession with praise and prestige and you've admitted it yourself quite a few times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not deliberately attacking you. You just seem blissfully unaware of the attitude you're taking. Have a think about the following statement: 'Getting to imperial would make me happy as others would praise me and i would feel better about myself.'

You're openly admitting that you want to do it because you want praise. And if you need validation from others to feel good about yourself, well, that's going to cause you some problems when you go to top universities and (assuming you're reasonably smarter than your peers) are faced with the reality that you're no longer special and that everybody is as smart or smarter than you. That's what I'm saying: this attitude will screw you over in the long run. Sorry if my tone has been a bit terse but that is just the way that it pans out for a lot of people in your position.

If everyone in my uni was as smart as me i would be happy as in my class, there are loads of idiots and it makes me unhappy as i have no one to relate to or talk to as all people do in my class i gossip and scream and do not think about their future. So you are wrong. If i went to imperial I would get praise from my mom and my family and people i meet. By the way what do you want to be when your'e older just interested.
I feel like the south Korean students are very lucky i wish i could go cram school till 10 and spend all the time revising. My mom never pushes me which makes em sad because i want her to push me more and i try to do it myself but tis hard to get out of old habits. I already feel stress and pressure from myself so i would not be bothered by all the stress I'm used to it.

Why would you? Its all very extreme. And they're far from lucky. You've not experienced it so you have no idea. I revised long hours for gcses and i thought it was all very awful and terribly daunting. It was 3/4 weeks before exams so i had to revise everything quickly. Honestly, you should be grateful rather than jealous.
And lmfao my parents dont "push" me but i still do reasonably well and im motivated. You shouldn't need someone else to tell you what to do, you should be independent w a goal in mind and should focus on that.
i went to a rubbish state school too, and at the time i had 2 good friends who had travelled from china to the UK, they came in year 10. I'm actually really shocked to read your original post because they said the EXACT SAME THING about how students don't respect teachers, hours should be longer and more stuff (like how in China a class had like 100 pupils or something)

anyway, my point is that if you're determined to work hard from home then NOTHING can stop you ok? ask your teachers what specification you're doing, what book you should buy, go on bitesize or the exam board website or your school online portal for extra help. lessons are just there for you to get extra notes, the main thing is doing work outside of school.

my 2 chinese friends never found school lessons helpful and were also very poor so couldn't afford private tutors.

they studied hard at home and at school (for example during class the teacher would be busy shouting at someone or telling us a pointless story and she would do her own work, the teacher wouldn't mind) and at the end of the year she came out with one of the best results (almost all A*s). at a level she was found it better because the disruptive pupils didn't make it through to her subjects (STEM) and now she is going to do medicene at imperial lol.

people will try to throw you down as I've seen the previous responses, but my main point is that people will be jealous of you and you need to work hard at home to achieve your goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
So many things wrong with that statement.

The 'Asian Way' or actually Rote learning doesn't actually equip students very well. It just helps them pass exams, which conveniently happens to be what we assess the different countries academic performance on.

We teach our students to think for themselves, to contribute to lessons. Yes that creativity means we can be undisciplined but I tell you what, I would hate to be taught like they do in China.

There was a programme on the BBC recently comparing the styles - go take a look and really decide which is better.

I seen the first episode of that series and i thought the teaching method was very good and i learn that way the bets. By the way did you watch the whole series because i didn't if you did what happened in the end? Who had the better test results? Passing exams is my main goal of getting an education so rota learning suits me.
How do you propose I change myself. I have no idea how to study maths outside of school as they are changing the math test and its going to be way harder and the grades will be in numbers and i cant find any resources for the new maths GCSE's as they reformed the whole exam and for example the new best grades is 2 times higher than the old a*. so what am i meant to do?! And my new science teacher is hopeless. I don't even know what text book to use for maths because i don't think they're any with new material.

If you are serious about getting good at maths and going to a uni like Cambridge or Imperial, then teach yourself it. GCSE isn't really maths, it's basic numeracy. Even A level is pretty basic. Get yourself some books and./or use the vast array of Internet resources, and take it from there. Then, when it comes to actually sitting the GCSE exam, it will be an absolute cakewalk.
I seen the first episode of that series and i thought the teaching method was very good and i learn that way the bets. By the way did you watch the whole series because i didn't if you did what happened in the end? Who had the better test results? Passing exams is my main goal of getting an education so rota learning suits me.

I did. But how did they get there? By rote learning - which means you pass exams and nothing else.

What happens after education? What happens when you go into the big bad world of work with all your shiny qualifications and you find you don't have the skills required apart from a bunch of worthless certificates.

Graduate Jobs certainly require you to think for yourself, Rote learning does not prepare you for that.

Oh and for those suggesting my side of the argument is throwing you down. If that's what gets you through exams - go for it. Just recognise its not the way for the majority of the UK population.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by grassntai
Asian education turns you into automatons who all think the same way, I would rather inflict pain on myself than go through their harsh education system. It's memorisation after memorisation, very little emphasis put on critical thinking which is why Asia has the fewest famously successful entrepreneurs while the west have plenty.

You might think your education is failing you but the reality is you go to a developed country and have access to facilities others could only dream of. Take the opportunity, stop deflecting your own laziness and work hard. My friend came from a comprehensive and he studies at UCL, I hope to follow suit and go to a RG university, we're both from state schools.

The disruptive students drop like flies after GCSEs anyway so ignore them and stay focused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for me education is all about memorisation so this apparently 'harsh education system' would cater to my needs very well. For em school is all about memorisation and passing exams.which i cannot do if the school system is failing me
If everyone in my uni was as smart as me i would be happy as in my class, there are loads of idiots and it makes me unhappy as i have no one to relate to or talk to as all people do in my class i gossip and scream and do not think about their future. So you are wrong. If i went to imperial I would get praise from my mom and my family and people i meet. By the way what do you want to be when your'e older just interested.

Again, your logic is entirely circular. You've already said that you need praise to feel better about yourself; how is going to make you feel better about yourself when you discover you're either average or below average among your peers? I'm not saying don't go to top universities but if you go there with this mindset, you will crack like a nut under the pressure. Tying down your happiness to other people's opinion of you is a recipe for disaster. Beyond that, do what you want. :wink:

I'm applying for medicine this year. :smile:
Reply 69
for me education is all about memorization

You have much to learn young padawan, this isn't how to get the best education :u: In fact, probably the worst way.

Memorization without actual learning and understanding is simply useless, especially in the sciences where problem solving skills are paramount.

If jobs needed memorization, they would hire a 10,000 word essay not a human being.
(edited 8 years ago)
So many things wrong with that statement.

The 'Asian Way' or actually Rote learning doesn't actually equip students very well. It just helps them pass exams, which conveniently happens to be what we assess the different countries academic performance on.

We teach our students to think for themselves, to contribute to lessons. Yes that creativity means we can be undisciplined but I tell you what, I would hate to be taught like they do in China.

There was a programme on the BBC recently comparing the styles - go take a look and really decide which is better.

+1. Completely agree with this.
Reply 71
Original post by Hydeman
Again, your logic is entirely circular. You've already said that you need praise to feel better about yourself; how is going to make you feel better about yourself when you discover you're either average or below average among your peers? I'm not saying don't go to top universities but if you go there with this mindset, you will crack like a nut under the pressure. Tying down your happiness to other people's opinion of you is a recipe for disaster. Beyond that, do what you want. :wink:

I'm applying for medicine this year. :smile:

So your'e doing a level?
your'e doing im assuming physics,chemistry,maths and biology. as thats what people who want to study medicine usually do?if you are doing these a levels are they hard just wondering, as i want to do those a levels? i tie my opinions to other people's as i often feel judges by others and the need to make a good impression is important.
for me education is all about memorisation so this apparently 'harsh education system' would cater to my needs very well. For em school is all about memorisation and passing exams.which i cannot do if the school system is failing me

So you want to be an automaton? What's your ambition to become a banker?

It doesn't stop students from comprehensives going to university to study medicine, stop deluding yourself and stop blaming others when it's your own efforts that ultimately determine your future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
I did. But how did they get there? By rote learning - which means you pass exams and nothing else.

What happens after education? What happens when you go into the big bad world of work with all your shiny qualifications and you find you don't have the skills required apart from a bunch of worthless certificates.

Graduate Jobs certainly require you to think for yourself, Rote learning does not prepare you for that.

Oh and for those suggesting my side of the argument is throwing you down. If that's what gets you through exams - go for it. Just recognise its not the way for the majority of the UK population.

Tell me what happened at the end of the series. Who had better test results? also if rota learning is so bad why do so many Chinese students go to top universities in the uk? it seems to work for them (rota learning). i'm that person who needs everything said to them instead of making em find out on my own that's annoying and doesn't work for me.
Reply 74
So your'e doing a level?
your'e doing im assuming physics,chemistry,maths and biology. as thats what people who want to study medicine usually do?if you are doing these a levels are they hard just wondering, as i want to do those a levels? i tie my opinions to other people's as i often feel judges by others and the need to make a good impression is important.

If you understand them and you have a good feel for the subjects, all of them are easy.
So your'e doing a level?

I've finished A-levels. And yes, I studied those subjects, although for most universities you only need Chemistry, Biology and one other subject of your choice. The specification will be different for you (you still haven't told me what stage of education you're at...) in the sciences as it's changing from this year onwards but for Mathematics it's not changing until 2017. They're pretty hard subjects but it's possible to do well with dedication and time. Out of the four, I'd say Physics is the most difficult.
so,i have looked at many countries in Asia such as Singapore,japan and south Korea ,china and they're education is way better and their pupils are more disciplined unlike in the uk. I also hate how in hate the uk the teaching methods are like discussion and trying to figure stuff out while in other asian countries that i mentioned they're different and better. in Asian countries that i mentioned they are way ahead than the uk with education and they're smarter and most pupils seem to respect they're teacher and know that the teacher has authority while in the uk in my school no one seems to respect the teacher and don't even know the simple rule that in the class room you are meant to be quite and listen to the teacher and not interrupt and put your hand up.

I feel like my education is being failed as in one lesson for example in science that was 1 hour and 15 minutes all we learned was what is photosynthesis and its equation and what do plants need to survive which should have took 10 minutes or less. Or for example in maths we do the same thing every year we learn the same thing and we never learn challenging difficult concepts or anything like that. Teachers cannot control the class they don't know how to make the class quite and listen, they won't shout or send bad people out and I'm just frustrated because i spend more than half of the lesson waiting for everyone to shut up.In asian countries it is shown that most pupils respect their teachers and shut up. I feel like in the uk there is not enough pressure on young people to success and not enough discipline and young people are not pushed to their limit and are too comfortable.

I feel like I'm being let down as I'm not achieving my potential as i try so hard in school to learn and i never learn as much as I can as people don't know when to be quite or behave. I wish the uk education system was as good and strict as the one in japan for example. I think school should be longer for example 12 hours long or even 10 (the limit) and that they're should be cram schools in the uk. I do not think the emphasise on studying and succeeding in life because of education is emphasised enough in the uk.

To be honest the government won't give teachers rights to actually do anything to students, if a 30 students wear down a teacher day in day out for years and the teacher finally cracks and swears or something they are out (the two best teachers at my primary school got fired for getting rough with students who were being completely out of order and aggressive). And if the government did change it there would be a massive riot of protective parents that think it's their right to punish their children, not the schools (Yer well the school wouldn't need to if they actually taught their child to behave but they aren't gonna admit faults in their parenting, just blame it on the government it's easier).

I'm all up for taking misbehaving students to prisons age 12 to see inmates and what it's actually like, or send them to a military styled camp. Because frankly it would scare the **** out of them. And I think pupils should be segregated even further- Grammar schools, comprehensives, a school underneath this (more military bases style) and then the behavioural schools. It would give everyone their chance to excel (except those who don't want to) because unlike me my sister is in a comprehensive and despite her trying her best she is disrupted by pupils who don't behave and therefore won't receive results anything like mine, no matter how hard she personally tries.

The British government won't make the tough decisions because it wants to bumlick the spineless British public who can't be realistic about anything until it's too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by grassntai
So you want to be an automaton? What's your ambition to become a banker?

It doesn't stop students from comprehensives going to university to study medicine, stop deluding yourself and stop blaming others when it's your own efforts that ultimately determine your future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know who i want to become. I'm still deciding. Who do you want to become?
Reply 78
Tell me what happened at the end of the series. Who had better test results? also if rota learning is so bad why do so many Chinese students go to top universities in the uk? it seems to work for them (rota learning). i'm that person who needs everything said to them instead of making em find out on my own that's annoying and doesn't work for me.

There are a lot of chinese people. Almost 20x that of British people, you're seeing the few that made it through the system without being turned into a machine.
Truth is that you have to self educate yourself as well. Best students tend to have a good work ethic, and never have problems with the british education system.
Although i study sociology and it is true that the education system here is notorious for failing its students mainly working class and this is backed up by multiple studies. So you're probs right. Its just you wouldnt be failing as an individual if you had the right mind set and necessities needed to succeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending