The Student Room Group

i think the uk education system is failing me :/

so,i have looked at many countries in Asia such as Singapore,japan and south Korea ,china and they're education is way better and their pupils are more disciplined unlike in the uk. I also hate how in hate the uk the teaching methods are like discussion and trying to figure stuff out while in other asian countries that i mentioned they're different and better. in Asian countries that i mentioned they are way ahead than the uk with education and they're smarter and most pupils seem to respect they're teacher and know that the teacher has authority while in the uk in my school no one seems to respect the teacher and don't even know the simple rule that in the class room you are meant to be quite and listen to the teacher and not interrupt and put your hand up.

I feel like my education is being failed as in one lesson for example in science that was 1 hour and 15 minutes all we learned was what is photosynthesis and its equation and what do plants need to survive which should have took 10 minutes or less. Or for example in maths we do the same thing every year we learn the same thing and we never learn challenging difficult concepts or anything like that. Teachers cannot control the class they don't know how to make the class quite and listen, they won't shout or send bad people out and I'm just frustrated because i spend more than half of the lesson waiting for everyone to shut up.In asian countries it is shown that most pupils respect their teachers and shut up. I feel like in the uk there is not enough pressure on young people to success and not enough discipline and young people are not pushed to their limit and are too comfortable.

I feel like I'm being let down as I'm not achieving my potential as i try so hard in school to learn and i never learn as much as I can as people don't know when to be quite or behave. I wish the uk education system was as good and strict as the one in japan for example. I think school should be longer for example 12 hours long or even 10 (the limit) and that they're should be cram schools in the uk. I do not think the emphasise on studying and succeeding in life because of education is emphasised enough in the uk.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Then leave.
Original post by Maria1812
x

While there's a lot wrong with the UK education system, only part of what you've said is true. There is plenty of pressure on kids here. Maybe not as much as the countries you've mentioned but, hey, it's not a competition to see who can drive more kids to suicide over their exam performance.

Yes, we'd all like to have fewer delinquents ruining school for everybody else but it's an imperfect system. Besides, as you get older, those kind of people gradually disappear as their failure to work hard excludes them from successive levels of education.

Edit: What exactly do you think longer school hours will achieve if time is already being wasted on teaching 10-minute stuff in an hour and 45 minutes? :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
The education system has failed me also.

I cant generate the concentration to deal with your lack of paragraphs.
That wall of text made my eyes go wonky.
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Candour
The education system has failed me also.

I cant generate the concentration to deal with your lack of paragraphs.

i edited it so now you see i made paragraphs.
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
While there's a lot wrong with the UK education system, only part of what you've said is true. There is plenty of pressure on kids here. Maybe not as much as the countries you've mentioned but, hey, it's not a competition to see who can drive more kids to suicide over their exam performance.

Yes, we'd all like to have fewer delinquents ruining school for everybody else but it's an imperfect system. Besides, as you get older, those kind of people gradually disappear as their failure to work hard excludes them from successive levels of education.

Edit: What exactly do you think longer school hours will achieve if time is already being wasted on teaching 10-minute stuff in an hour and 45 minutes? :tongue:

It's not only about making school longer, but changing teaching methods to the asian way and introducing more discipline in schools. If there is more discipline and people will be quite than we will be able to learn more.So it's not only about making school longer but changing other things to make the education system in the uk better.
Not all schools are like that in the uk , although the majority are. Perhaps you should move to a better school?
It's not only about making school longer, but changing teaching methods to the asian way and introducing more discipline in schools. If there is more discipline and people will be quite than we will be able to learn more.So it's not only about making school longer but changing other things to make the education system in the uk better.

What do you mean by changing teaching methods to the Asian way? Discipline is easier said than done when parents are looking for any excuse to blame the teacher for their little soldier or little princess's problems.

If there's a problem with the UK education system, it's that it's too exam-centric and becoming more so with the reforms that're being rolled out. It's all very well saying that Asian kids get better results than us but you're going to have to decide here: what do you want, better results or better pupils?

I for one think that this pressure to get this grade or that grade has fundamentally ruined education. The ones who do best are the ones with the best exam technique and curiosity and imagination is all but stifled because, guess what? It's more important to get top marks on an exam and get into this or that university than it is to ask questions and really understand more of the topic than is asked for by the specification bullet points.
Reply 9
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Not all schools are like that in the uk , although the majority are. Perhaps you should move to a better school?

Before I went to a worse school, so I moved to another one but it's still not as good as i want it too. I wish i could go private school maybe but i cant afford it. No other school in my area is good the really good ones are far and changing schools is not easy and is a long process, you can't change schools that easily.
so,i have looked at many countries in Asia such as Singapore,japan and south Korea ,china and they're education is way better and their pupils are more disciplined unlike in the uk. I also hate how in hate the uk the teaching methods are like discussion and trying to figure stuff out while in other asian countries that i mentioned they're different and better. in Asian countries that i mentioned they are way ahead than the uk with education and they're smarter and most pupils seem to respect they're teacher and know that the teacher has authority while in the uk in my school no one seems to respect the teacher and don't even know the simple rule that in the class room you are meant to be quite and listen to the teacher and not interrupt and put your hand up.

I feel like my education is being failed as in one lesson for example in science that was 1 hour and 15 minutes all we learned was what is photosynthesis and its equation and what do plants need to survive which should have took 10 minutes or less. Or for example in maths we do the same thing every year we learn the same thing and we never learn challenging difficult concepts or anything like that. Teachers cannot control the class they don't know how to make the class quite and listen, they won't shout or send bad people out and I'm just frustrated because i spend more than half of the lesson waiting for everyone to shut up.In asian countries it is shown that most pupils respect their teachers and shut up. I feel like in the uk there is not enough pressure on young people to success and not enough discipline and young people are not pushed to their limit and are too comfortable.

I feel like I'm being let down as I'm not achieving my potential as i try so hard in school to learn and i never learn as much as I can as people don't know when to be quite or behave. I wish the uk education system was as good and strict as the one in japan for example. I think school should be longer for example 12 hours long or even 10 (the limit) and that they're should be cram schools in the uk. I do not think the emphasise on studying and succeeding in life because of education is emphasised enough in the uk.

I can tell it's failing you as your English is truly awful.
Reply 11
I'm sure that if you don't feel sufficiently challenged, there are some teachers that would be sympathetic in giving you extra material? The classroom demeanor shouldn't matter too much as long you are being given the appropriate content to work through yourself.

It is true the UK education system isn't catered for everyone, maybe take some Open University courses as well?
Reply 12
Original post by Hydeman
What do you mean by changing teaching methods to the Asian way? Discipline is easier said than done when parents are looking for any excuse to blame the teacher for their little soldier or little princess's problems.

If there's a problem with the UK education system, it's that it's too exam-centric and becoming more so with the reforms that're being rolled out. It's all very well saying that Asian kids get better results than us but you're going to have to decide here: what do you want, better results or better pupils?

I for one think that this pressure to get this grade or that grade has fundamentally ruined education. The ones who do best are the ones with the best exam technique and curiosity and imagination is all but stifled because, guess what? It's more important to get top marks on an exam and get into this or that university than it is to ask questions and really understand more of the topic than is asked for by the specification bullet points.

The kids in Asia get better grades because they are more disciplined and learn better therefore. Do you see the link between discipline and good pupils and good grades or do i have to point it out to you.school should be grade based no one cares what you know unless the grade on your paper is an a or a* that's what matters right now in life. you can be the smartest person but if you get a c or d and go to some university no one ever heard of no one will employ you or care how smart you are unless that paper says so. this is the reality of modern life! Thats the problem with uk they're not strict enough and people dont care about grades as much. i think it you get bad grades you should feel ashamed instead of parents telling kids it's okay you do better next time. someone in my class pretty much had bad grades at the end of the year and did not care that much at all, i know thats not everyone but some people are like that.
in the uk education is mandatory whereas it's a luxury elsewhere i.e. you don't have to 'pay'. beggars can't be choosers

many uk students still get top grades and go on to become the best. stop giving yourself excuses
Reply 14
Original post by hicong
I'm sure that if you don't feel sufficiently challenged, there are some teachers that would be sympathetic in giving you extra material? The classroom demeanor shouldn't matter too much as long you are being given the appropriate content to work through yourself.

It is true the UK education system isn't catered for everyone, maybe take some Open University courses as well?

Some teachers in my school do not even give homework sometimes or plan they're lessons and i dont think they would have extra work. i dont want extra work i would prefer that school was longer so we can learn more and more strict so there would be no need for extra work instead we would be doing what you call 'extra work' in school instead of asking for it because you don't feel challenged enough.
Reply 15
Some teachers in my school do not even give homework sometimes or plan they're lessons and i dont think they would have extra work. i dont want extra work i would prefer that school was longer so we can learn more and more strict so there would be no need for extra work instead we would be doing what you call 'extra work' in school instead of asking for it because you don't feel challenged enough.

Definitely bring it up with your guidance teacher/whatever bud. There is always provision in schools to give you more content/move you at a different pace.

Of course you gotta realise change doesn't happen so fast and the school ain't becoming longer or stricter any time soon. You just have to work around it.
Reply 16
Original post by cheesedrew
in the uk education is mandatory whereas it's a luxury elsewhere i.e. you don't have to 'pay'. beggars can't be choosers

many uk students still get top grades and go on to become the best. stop giving yourself excuses

Uk students do not get top grades what on earth are you talking about you mean the ones with tutors private schools. If you look at the rankings for test results the uk is behind japan and Singapore and south Korea are in the lead with grades and test results. so i have no idea what on earth your talking about!Here is a source as proof from the BBC website!Here you see the Uk is ranked 20th so think about what you said because i don't think you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32608772
(edited 8 years ago)
If you think it should be longer why don't you just work outside of school, changing yourself will be a lot easier than changing the whole system.
Original post by gracieb2218
Those countries also have the highest teen suicide rates so...

Not really all of them. They may have a high suicide rate (some of them) because the parents force them to study all the time, but hes talking about school in general.
Uk students do not get top grades what on earth are you talking about you mean the ones with tutors private schools. If you look at the rankings for test results the uk is behind japan and Singapore and south Korea are in the lead with grades and test results. so i have no idea what on earth your talking about!Here is a source as proof from the BBC website!Here you see the Uk is ranked 20th so think about what you said because i don't think you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32608772

I think they meant general top grades (A*'s and A's etc) at their schools, not their grades compared to the rest of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending