The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Declining Unconditional Offer to Defer

Hey,

So I got into Nottingham through clearing to study Comp Sci (after declining them originally to apply to King's College, then being rejected), and I have realised it's not financially possible for me to attend this year, so I am going to defer to 16/17 entry. However, the School of Computer Science have upped the requirements for 16/17 to AAA from AAB; I got A*A*C, and although I am resitting ICT (the subject I got a C in) I am really really concerned that I will not get a place next year, and it's genuinely the only place I want to go.

If anyone knows of anything I can do, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Jimmy_M
Hey,

So I got into Nottingham through clearing to study Comp Sci (after declining them originally to apply to King's College, then being rejected), and I have realised it's not financially possible for me to attend this year, so I am going to defer to 16/17 entry. However, the School of Computer Science have upped the requirements for 16/17 to AAA from AAB; I got A*A*C, and although I am resitting ICT (the subject I got a C in) I am really really concerned that I will not get a place next year, and it's genuinely the only place I want to go.

i haven't got any advice for your situation i'm afraid, but could i ask what accommodation you were given? because i urgently need somewhere to live later on this month so if you needed someone to take your accommodation off your hands feel free to contact me!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Jimmy_M
Hey,

We would've been course buddies :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by nemis
i haven't got any advice for your situation i'm afraid, but could i ask what accommodation you were given? because i urgently need somewhere to live later on this month so if you needed someone to take your accommodation off your hands feel free to contact me!
Didn't get to that point unfortunately, sorry!

Original post by Aidan.reed
We would've been course buddies :frown:

Aww, really sucks I can't find a way around this:frown:
It was a few years ago now when I deferred (and not at this uni) but I didn't have to withdraw my offer, I got in touch with them and they accepted my place for the following year and it just updated to the next year on track.
Reply 5
Original post by LaurenW121
It was a few years ago now when I deferred (and not at this uni) but I didn't have to withdraw my offer, I got in touch with them and they accepted my place for the following year and it just updated to the next year on track.

Did you get the offer through Clearing? That's what they're determining to be the issue with me deferring.. :frown:
Ah no I didn't, seems a bit silly that they cant do it the the same way :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by LaurenW121
Ah no I didn't, seems a bit silly that they cant do it the the same way :s-smilie:

Yeah it really is..
They make it seem impossible, my friend did the exact same thing as me, at the exact same uni (but for History) and they couldn't defer her, they just came to an agreement that she would receive an unconditional offer, but she still had to re-apply.. Stupid, but at least that worked out for her!
Reply 8
Original post by Broscientist
Hey, I am an EU student and I will be starting a course in CS at Nottingham after a couple of weeks. I will try to help you in regards to what I know.

1. In terms of grades, I think you have what it takes. ICT is not really relevant for CS so I am sure that your two A* will more than compensate for it (especially if they are in quantitative subjects). Also, Nottingham lower their offers from AAA to AAB if you have maths or computing/computer science at A-level. They have upped their requirements because the number of CS applicants are increasing. According to released UCAS data, for 2014/2015, it was something like ~10 applicants per place if I am not mistaken. But if they liked you this year, chances are that they will accept you next year as well.

2. I think you can apply a couple of tricks when it comes to your personal statement, which will greatly increase your chances. I have experience with fellow friends/acquaintances who have managed to get significantly reduced offers through this strategy, which is very good for showing commitment to study at Nottingham:

- The university is affiliated with very popular YT channels by collaborating with Brady Haran. Staff/students/professors from the School of Chemistry are regularly involved with the channel Periodic Videos. Staff/students/professors form the School of Physics & Astronomy are regularly involved with the channel Sixty Symbols. Staff/students/professors from the School of Computer Science are regularly involved with the channel Computerphile.

I have an acquaintance (a fellow countryman) who got a significantly reduced offer for Chemistry by mentioning Periodic Videos and how it fueled his interest in Chemistry even further. In fact, Periodic Videos was one of the main reasons he applied to Nottingham. The offers for Chemistry according to their web-site range from AAB - ABB which for my country is equivalent to 5.60/6.00 - 5.40/6.00. His offer was 5.20 or the equivalent to BBB, which he still managed to exceed substantially. So, if you have not done so already, perhaps you can go and check out the YT channel Computerphile. The videos cover a lot of CS concepts so I am sure it will help you improve your personal statement even more for the upcoming year.

I hope this helped.

This was quite helpful so thank you.
One thing I'm unsure on, I have heard of the Computerphile channel whilst at a Nottingham Open Day, but I'm just not sure on how to add it to my personal statement without making my personal statement aimed directly at Nottingham; in which case, what if they don't give me an offer, why would another uni want me when I clearly have an interest for Nottingham?
Reply 9
Original post by Broscientist
I would suggest including a specific topic that caught your attention/ what most interests you about computer science. Also, to be more discrete about it, you can mention some other YT channel alongside it? MIT Opencourseware perhaps? You can mention how a particular source of information exposed you to such and such topic, why that particular topic interests you and what your plans are going forward.

Just a few suggestions.

This was very helpful, thank you so much! :smile:
I feel like this will help a lot re-applying to Nottingham, so thanks again :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending