University of Edinburgh-£298 million

University of Manchester-£174.3 million

King's college London-£162.6 million

University of Glasgow-£157.8 million

University of Liverpool-£141.7 million

Imperial college London-£98 million

London school of Economics-£97.2 million

London Business school-£92 million

I've created this list after thoroughly researching each university's financial statement published for the 2013-2014 year.
The average university endowment in the UK is £20 million
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ali1302
Here's the list of the top ten universities by endowment fund:

University of Cambridge-£5.98 billion

University of Oxford-£4.355 billion

I've created this list after thoroughly researching each university's financial statement published for the 2013-2014 year.

Do you know why Cambridge's endowment is so much higher than Oxford's when Oxford is bigger and did better in the latest RAE?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Do you know why Cambridge's endowment is so much higher than Oxford's when Oxford is bigger and did better in the latest RAE?

RAE is a measure of the quality and quantity of research. Oxford receives £478 million in research income, while Cambridge at £371 million. This however has little to do with the universities endowments which are a measure of academic financial assets.
Original post by Ali1302
RAE is a measure of the quality and quantity of research. Oxford receives £478 million in research income, while Cambridge at £371 million. This however has little to do with the universities endowments which are a measure of academic financial assets.

Ah, thanks! I wasn't aware of the difference.
Reply 4
Ah, thanks! I wasn't aware of the difference.

To add Cambridge has an annual income of £1.51 billion, while Oxford at £1.174 billion. This is mainly because Cambridge has additional sources of income for instance it's own exam board(OCR,CIE). Therefore, Cambridge also generates higher annual income.

Isnt it REF now?
Original post by earthworm
Isnt it REF now?

Apparently so! Seems like I'm talking a load of nonsense this evening...
I think cambridge does better in STEM in REF then oxford and so attracts mote funding?
Reply 8
Isnt it REF now?

REF stands for research excellence framework

RAE stands for research assessment exercise

Both pretty much stand for the same thing
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I think cambridge does better in STEM in REF then oxford and so attracts mote funding?

This list has nothing to do with funding, however oxford by far gets the highest research income of any UK university at £478.3 million compared to Cambridge at £371 million.
Original post by Ali1302
This list has nothing to do with funding, however oxford by far gets the highest research income of any UK university at £478.3 million compared to Cambridge at £371 million.

Hmm interesting, thanks
Reply 13
Original post by Ali1302
Here's the list of the top ten universities by endowment fund:

University of Cambridge-£5.98 billion

University of Oxford-£4.355 billion

Cambridge's endowment has risen, Oxford's is stable. I'm wondering if Oxford's shares in oil companies could explain these bad results.

Anyway, you should also look at the income from their endowment. They can have vast lands that don't return anything.
Reply 14
Original post by Josb
Cambridge's endowment has risen, Oxford's is stable. I'm wondering if Oxford's shares in oil companies could explain these bad results.

Anyway, you should also look at the income from their endowment. They can have vast lands that don't return anything.

Cambridge's endowment hasn't risen that much really, the £4.9 billion estimate was in fact the endowment at 2011-12 which was 3 years ago. Oxford's endowment has increased by about £300 million which was down from last year where the endowment increased by about £491 million. I'd estimate Cambridge's endowment was growing at a similar rate by about £300 million to £500 million per year.
Not one could predict the financial crisis. Hopeless elitist corporate machines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending