The Student Room Group

Is it normal to just suddenly lose interest in video games?

I spent much of my teenage years playing video games - I've got almost 200 titles in my Steam library and I used to be able to spend hours on end playing. But for some reason, I just seem to have lost interest. I can't seem to play a normal game now for more than half an hour or so without getting disinterested. It's been months since I've actually properly played a AAA title. The only ones that seem to interest me now are narrative-driven Indies that are more like stories than games.

I can't say I feel sad about this, just a bit weird. The thing I've spent most of my free time on for the past 10 years is suddenly totally uninteresting to me. Has anyone else felt that way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just a normal part of growing up. Interests come and go.
Reply 2
Yeah bud, I used to be hooked on RS/WoW and countless other games, I don't think I could even play it/want to play it for 30 mins now - I think it's partly burnout, partly having other things in my life to keep me busy.
Totally normal.
Original post by Plagioclase
I spent much of my teenage years playing video games - I've got almost 200 titles in my Steam library and I used to be able to spend hours on end playing. But for some reason, I just seem to have lost interest. I can't seem to play a normal game now for more than half an hour or so without getting disinterested. It's been months since I've actually properly played a AAA title. The only ones that seem to interest me now are narrative-driven Indies that are more like stories than games.

I can't say I feel sad about this, just a bit weird. The thing I've spent most of my free time on for the past 10 years is suddenly totally uninteresting to me. Has anyone else felt that way?

The exact same thing happened to me in the past few days, I can barely manage playing for 10 minutes before thoughts like "why am I wasting time on this" enter my head.
Original post by S E L A W Z
The exact same thing happened to me in the past few days, I can barely manage playing for 10 minutes before thoughts like "why am I wasting time on this" enter my head.

Yes, I think my interest started to wane around the same time that I started to self-teach a language. I can't exactly say that I'm using my time completely constructively now (I've spent an inordinate amount of time on TSR lately!) but I guess it has started to dawn that there really are better uses of my time (and money).
Reply 6

Yep! I did, for a while! To be honest even now I still feel that my interest in gaming isn't as strong as it used to be. Completely normal I'd say! :smile:
Reply 7
It's completely normal I've gone through phases of completely losing interest in gaming as a whole and then come back to a few months later just to pass time(10-20 mins a game or something).

Now I tend to just play casually and not take it seriously at all unless the game actually catches my interest somehow, lately rocket league has been the only game I can play for extended periods of time as the matches are short 5 mins a game and pretty easy and fun to just get straight into. (even then it's only 1 hour of solid gaming)
Happened to me recently.
Reply 9
Completely normal. Time to find another interest :smile:
I know what you mean, Although I still play game I only play about 2 and thats usually only when my friends are also able to play. Like you I just lost interest over time.
Ignore these noobs who think their too cool for video games.

Video games are awesome, and you don't just suddenly lose your passion for it.

Just play different games - you'll find one that's addictive eventually.
Don't worry, it's normal.

I lost interest in playing games after having a long summer holiday after GCSEs. It just got boring. I guess that is good in a way as now I have more time to revise for my AS Levels.
The industry is stale.
Yes, I think my interest started to wane around the same time that I started to self-teach a language. I can't exactly say that I'm using my time completely constructively now (I've spent an inordinate amount of time on TSR lately!) but I guess it has started to dawn that there really are better uses of my time (and money).

I believe my loss of interest has stemmed from my recent ongoing work on my personal statement for my UCAS application. I have been obsessed with tweaking and perfecting it for the past week now and can't seem to focus very well on anything else, but even before I began work on it video games were getting very stale for me and the only reason I continued playing was I didn't have anything better to be at during my free time. Maybe I just need a break from them, I'll pick them up again come late October when the UCAS process is complete and see how it goes.
tbh its happened to me, I dont have time for it and tbh the quality of games right now are awful I now only play a select few titles. the

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
No. I stopped playing video games when I grew up at the age of 19 and realised that materialistic superficial form of entertainment doesn't matter in the slightest.
Totally mate. I went thought a phase a few years ago where I was playing a particular game every day and was obsessed by it, then one day I just thought "I'm done with this game" and pretty much stopped playing games.
Reply 18
Original post by ElephantMemory
The industry is stale.

Thank you someone said it. For gamers like me there have been no decent games for the past 5,6,7 years. All I have been playing are games before 2010 and the next one I'll probably try is the new battlefront game I've been looking forward to since childhood.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr JB
No. I stopped playing video games when I grew up at the age of 19 and realised that materialistic superficial form of entertainment doesn't matter in the slightest.

*Doesn't matter to you.
To everyone else in this billion dollar industry, it matters a lot.

I bet what you consider to be the opposite of material and superficial, most other people would find to be an even bigger waste of time. Just a thought :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest