The Student Room Group

Retching due to anxiety

For the past year or so I've been getting this weird feeling in my throat that makes me feel as if I'm going to throw up. If it gets particularly bad, I end up doing this gagging/dry heaving thing - a bit like when you've seen something really disgusting.

I never get any sickness feeling in my stomach, and I've never actually been sick from it, I just end up gagging uncontrollably until I manage to force myself to stop.

I've been told its due to stress from GCSE's (which was when in started) and AS levels but I've never been a particularly anxious person and its difficult to know how to stop myself being so stressed when I'm not actually aware that I'm stressed.

Recently I've noticed that even thinking about it or my throat can set it off and shivering when I'm cold will also often make me feel sick.

No one I know has ever experienced anything like it before and I get the impression a lot of people think its a bit weird. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar thing, and if they had any tips for dealing with it so I don't end up retching in public?
I had a friend who suffered something like this during her a-levels. Have you tried talking to someone about it, a counsellor or GP. Usually a good counsellor can really help untangle some of the problems that can illuminate on why you react/behave in such a way.

Quick Reply

Latest