The Student Room Group

Full time work and full time study - discuss

Hi, I'm Kellie and I've pretty much got my heart set on studying English full-time at Uni whilst retaining my current job. I'm 22 and have spent the last 4 years working towards the job I currently hold and funding alone will not cover my monthly outgoings, such as rent and bills.

I currently work 45 - 50 hour weeks however I'm reducing this down to the lowest I can as soon as I start Uni, which is 35 hours. My contact hours at Uni are 9 hours, and I'd want to be putting around 15 hours of independent study in on top. This adds up to a hell of a lot of hours, around 60 all told.

In my favour is my experience working long hours, as I have worked 70 hour weeks in the past when we've been short-staffed. Also, working this many hours now means that I can save so I can afford to completely focus on my PCGE year by taking myself off work completely. Also, as much as I would have jumped at the chance a few years ago, I'll be swerving the Uni experience such as nights out, clubbing, volunteering, extracurricular studies and such. I may possibly consider changing to part-time study mid-course or searching for another part-time role if it all just gets too much. If my place of work offered a part-time position then I'd snap it up but unfortunately it's just not possible.

I know that full time work and study is a massive undertaking and would not work for the majority of people. However, I feel that I'd be able to do it and want to hear from people in a similar situation or currently attend university.

Are my hours set aside for independent study realistic? Do you do this yourself or do you feel that it's be an impossible task? Any tips?

Any and all advice welcome!
It's ambitious, but I wouldn't say impossible. I've seen people get through degrees while working full time.

How much time will be spent commuting? Is 15 hours enough? Will it be quality independent study or squeezing in a couple of hours after a long day?

If I was in your shoes, I would be concerned that I would not be able to devote enough time to do my ability justice. Getting through a degree and doing well are not the same thing.
I'll be in a similar situation to you. I've worked for my company for over 7 years and love my job so I'll be staying on full time. I start Law at Birkbeck next month full time and also have 9 contact hours. Treat uni as a full time job so they'd expect 30/35+ hours a week. I'd be looking to do 21 hours minimum personal study. That said, this might be difficult with the number of hours you work. I'd say see how you go for the first term but if you really want to get the best grade possible, it might be wise to reduce your hours during term time for the duration of your degree. I'm a single parent to a 6 year old so my timetable is rigid. I honestly don't know how it's going to pan out until I'm in it, but I'm managing my expectations from now that I may need to look at going part time

Blog: www.thenubianrapunzel.com
Reply 3
I am also in a similar situation, undergraduate with a part time job 15 hours a week, that will be starting a second job and will be working 2 jobs equivalent to 30-35 hours in total and studying full time, nothings impossible you just got to see how you get on like I am and work hard. Good luck !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending