The Student Room Group

the structure of a triglyceride and a phospholipid

Can anyone help with regards to what they are? Thank you very much in advance.
Kook
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Can anyone help with regards to what they are? Thank you very much in advance.

Hello I've just completed my btec applied science L3 qualification. We've learnt about the structure. Before I tell you what I kno I'd encourage u to research.

Okay so triglycerides structure contains of one glycerol molecule which acts like a backbone which is attached with 3 fatty acids that are non polar- insoluble in water.

Phospholipid contains a polar head and a non polar tail.
A Triglyceride consists of a molecule of Glycerol with three fatty acids attached to it.

The fatty acids attached to the molecule of Glycerol can be either saturated, unsaturated or polyunsaturated!

Phospholipids are like Triglycerides, but instead they have TWO fatty acid chains and a Phosphate group. Plasma cell membranes are made from a double layer of phospholipids!
Original post by t.thompson22
A Triglyceride consists of a molecule of Glycerol with three fatty acids attached to it.

The fatty acids attached to the molecule of Glycerol can be either saturated, unsaturated or polyunsaturated!

Phospholipids are like Triglycerides, but instead they have TWO fatty acid chains and a Phosphate group. Plasma cell membranes are made from a double layer of phospholipids!

Are you taking alevels?
Original post by Uz25
Are you taking alevels?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending