The Student Room Group

3 ASs vs 4

Not sure if this is the right place but anyway.
There was a clash with the subjects I wanted to do for AS this year so I can no longer do the combination I wanted to (English language, psychology, history, Spanish). At the moment the most likely option is to drop psychology but I don't know whether to pick up another subject in its place.
I guess what I'm really asking is do I have a realistic chance of getting into a Russell group or possibly Oxbridge uni with only 3 ASs? (Plus EPQ). I often hear people say "you don't actually need 4ASs" but realistically would I be put down against another person with the same results who has done 4 ASs?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Original post by ions
Not sure if this is the right place but anyway.
There was a clash with the subjects I wanted to do for AS this year so I can no longer do the combination I wanted to (English language, psychology, history, Spanish). At the moment the most likely option is to drop psychology but I don't know whether to pick up another subject in its place.
I guess what I'm really asking is do I have a realistic chance of getting into a Russell group or possibly Oxbridge uni with only 3 ASs? (Plus EPQ). I often hear people say "you don't actually need 4ASs" but realistically would I be put down against another person with the same results who has done 4 ASs?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm doing 3 AS too because doing a GCSE maths retake. Personally I think it goes in our favour because we don't have to drop a subject in Year 13, we can carry on with them :smile: but no, you wouldn't, you have less pressure because one less subject :smile: still got lots of work to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A very small number of universities ask for a certain grade in a fourth AS subject as part of their entry requirements for certain courses. As long as you're not applying to them you don't need a fourth AS subject, but not having one would probably be noticed if you applied to the likes of Oxbridge and they might wonder why. But you can always pick up a fourth AS subject next year when the timetable might not clash!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFailFish
A very small number of universities ask for a certain grade in a fourth AS subject as part of their entry requirements for certain courses. As long as you're not applying to them you don't need a fourth AS subject, but not having one would probably be noticed if you applied to the likes of Oxbridge and they might wonder why. But you can always pick up a fourth AS subject next year when the timetable might not clash!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if it's an option where you are but my school lets us 'cluster' if subjects on our timetable clash, ie. doing one of your subjects at a different local sixth form and the others at your main college, if the timetables don't clash
Original post by stressedperson02
Not sure if it's an option where you are but my school lets us 'cluster' if subjects on our timetable clash, ie. doing one of your subjects at a different local sixth form and the others at your main college, if the timetables don't clash

My sixth form does that, it's called the consortium :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest