The Student Room Group

Example access assignment & answer (Humanities/social science)

H,

Funding permitting I should soon be embarking on an access course. As there is very little info out there on what the specification looks like (it appears to be very dependent on the college) I was wondering if anyone had example of what they had asked to do and what a decent essay looks like which has been marked?

Thanks
I did Access last year. Are you asking about what a typical assignment spec looks like?

My first Psychology assignment dealt with Perspectives. The title was: "Describe and evaluate two different perspectives in psychology." In practice, this meant covering Freud & Behaviourism (Pavlov/Skinner), since that's what we were taught. The task entailed describing the main principles of each and evaluating them. There's probably not much point me going into any further detail, since, as you say, it's dependent on the college.

You'd need to be very careful if you look at a marked assignment in advance of having to submit a similar one, due to the risk of plagiarism. Most colleges will use plagiarism detection software (mine uses Turnitin), which will compare each submitted essay against previously submitted ones. After the above assignment was marked and returned, my Psych tutor sent out a couple of distinction grade essays (with the permission of the students who'd written them) to the whole group, just so people could get a sense of what's required to get a distinction. You might be fortunate enough to benefit from the same, or even better be the author of one of the best essays whose work is used as an example to the rest of your group!
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
I did Access last year. Are you asking about what a typical assignment spec looks like?

My first Psychology assignment dealt with Perspectives. The title was: "Describe and evaluate two different perspectives in psychology." In practice, this meant covering Freud & Behaviourism (Pavlov/Skinner), since that's what we were taught. The task entailed describing the main principles of each and evaluating them. There's probably not much point me going into any further detail, since, as you say, it's dependent on the college.

You'd need to be very careful if you look at a marked assignment in advance of having to submit a similar one, due to the risk of plagiarism. Most colleges will use plagiarism detection software (mine uses Turnitin), which will compare each submitted essay against previously submitted ones. After the above assignment was marked and returned, my Psych tutor sent out a couple of distinction grade essays (with the permission of the students who'd written them) to the whole group, just so people could get a sense of what's required to get a distinction. You might be fortunate enough to benefit from the same, or even better be the author of one of the best essays whose work is used as an example to the rest of your group!

Hi, yes just wanted to know what a distinction/merit answers look like. It's been a while since I did any proper academic courses. Hopefully they will hand out some example answers but course does not start for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending