700-724 28%
725-749 9%
750-774 0%
775-799 2%
800-824 0%
>824 5%
<5500%
Total votes: 43
Who else is applying to Manchester this year for medicine? What are your stats like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mariapops
Who else is applying to Manchester this year for medicine? What are your stats like?

How crucial is ur ukcat ranking? They just have a cut off right, it doesn't matter after that?
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Jonnyss;59483051]How crucial is ur ukcat ranking? They just have a cut off right, it doesn't matter after that?

When deciding who to interview, they look first at the UKCAT score and then consider the information given on the non academic form.
I am not sure whether I should be applying to manchester with these stats
GCSE- 5A* 5A
A-LEVEL- A*AAb
UKCAT- 660 band 2
My ukcat is quite low for Manchester I think
Reply 4
Original post by mariapops
When deciding who to interview, they look first at the UKCAT score and then consider the information given on the non academic form.

Does any know how much weightage is given to PS/non academic form while inviting for an interview??

Do they forget about academics and UKCAT and just score PS/non academic form alone to call someone for interview Or do they take all in account while calling for someone to interview ??

I am asking this as both are different in former PS/non academic form has lot of wieghtage while in the latter it is distributed amongnst 3 elements...

Thanks
I have practically the same results but only AS (4 As) and a band 1 SJI and really want to go to Manchester. Anyone know what the cut off was in previous years, especially last year? I thought my UKCAT score was pretty good until i went on Student Room today......
I am wishing to apply to Manchester, UKCAT was 657.5, does anyone know last years cut off? Im also applying with achieved grades A*AAb
Original post by helloravers
I am wishing to apply to Manchester, UKCAT was 657.5, does anyone know last years cut off? Im also applying with achieved grades A*AAb

Admissionscycle 2014/15 :
Applicants with a WP Plus Flag = 2450 and above,
and Applicants with a WP Flag or nocontextual flags = 2560 and above
Hope that help!
Reply 8
Original post by helloravers

We will not know our UKCAT thresholds for 2016 entry until we receive all of our applicants’ scores in November 2015. However, as a guideline, our average standard threshold score for A106 over the past five years was 2600 (NB - this does not include 2013/14 entry when an issue with one of the UKCAT sub-tests resulted in all candidates’ scores becoming inflated). Our threshold score corresponds to a population percentile somewhere in the mid-60s.
Reply 9
Original post by blxckatoro
Got 712.5 in UKCAT
AS: AAAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*A*
GCSEs: 12A*s and 3As

is Manchester a sensible choice?

nah, looks elsewhere. No way you'd get into any uni with those grades. Lets be honest, you only wrote this for a bit of attention...
Reply 10
Hello guys,

Manchester medic 1st year here, a little tip from me would be too wait if you can till the UKCAT final percentile scores are released, this would give you a good indication of how strong your UKCAT score is in your cohort. With this you can gage whether applying to Manchester would be a sensible option. You can also look at the cut off from last year which I think was 640 (I cant remember for sure) check what percentile that was and use that as a gage to see what percentile you need to be.

Goodluck with your application guys, it seems like yesterday when I was applying, time flys. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Original post by Hudl
Hello guys,

Manchester medic 1st year here, a little tip from me would be too wait if you can till the UKCAT final percentile scores are released, this would give you a good indication of how strong your UKCAT score is in your cohort. With this you can gage whether applying to Manchester would be a sensible option. You can also look at the cut off from last year which I think was 640 (I cant remember for sure) check what percentile that was and use that as a gage to see what percentile you need to be.

Goodluck with your application guys, it seems like yesterday when I was applying, time flys. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Hey, how did you find your first year? What are the pros and cons of the course in your opinion? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Hudl
Hello guys,

Do you know what the 'assessment forms' after the interview are?
Original post by SimSembi
nah, looks elsewhere. No way you'd get into any uni with those grades. Lets be honest, you only wrote this for a bit of attention...

Erm It was just a bit of banter, mocking the typical med applicant that posts on these forums
Reply 14
Original post by Hudl
Hello guys,

Hi
Thanks for information. Here are my stats.. gcse 2A* 6A 2B AS level AAAA and predicted A*A*A and ukcat 720 sj band3. I put my choices Liverpool, Manchester, Keele and Newcastle and I am not taking BMAT. But I am worried of Manchester choice with my gcse grades. Could you please guide me whether to keep Manchester or go for Exeter or any other choices. But worried of Exeter as my brother got rejected even after good interview last year. I am fully confused.Thanks in advance
Would u guys say it is safe to apply to Manchester with a ukcat score of 670?
Reply 16
Original post by Carryduffp
Do you know what the 'assessment forms' after the interview are?

After the interviews, offers are made entirely on your interview performance and your academic profile is no longer taken into account.
They look for the qualities that are outlined in the GMC tomorrows doctors and demonstration of the skills that they required for you to have on your personal statement in the first place to get an interview. I can't remember each component but it will be somewhere omn the website. Eg Communication, Team work ability, ability to reflect etc

Original post by Natha_Lite
Hey, how did you find your first year? What are the pros and cons of the course in your opinion? Thanks :smile:

I am just starting my first year but up to now there is a lot of information academic / non-academic and a lot of things to keep up with. It is really important to be organised or you may start to drown. I can't really give my personal opinion on pros and cons of the course yet seeing as I am in my second week of my first year. Maybe ask me this later on.

Pros from when I was researching included anatomy dissections, pbl (Believe it or not is a great way of learning and you still get lectures weekly)
Cons also include PBL as you dont know what detail to read too and whether you're covering everything you're meant to know.
Reply 17
Original post by volvo
Hi
Thanks for information. Here are my stats.. gcse 2A* 6A 2B AS level AAAA and predicted A*A*A and ukcat 720 sj band3. I put my choices Liverpool, Manchester, Keele and Newcastle and I am not taking BMAT. But I am worried of Manchester choice with my gcse grades. Could you please guide me whether to keep Manchester or go for Exeter or any other choices. But worried of Exeter as my brother got rejected even after good interview last year. I am fully confused.Thanks in advance

Manchester only look at GCSEs to make sure you have reachedd the minimum requirement which is on their website but from memory it was something like 6As/A* with at least a B in English lang, Maths, Science (You should double check this) and as long as you meet this minimum requirement you were guaranteed to progress to the net stage of assessment. Personally I think your application to Liverpool is a waste of a choice unless they have switched to using the UKCAT this year as I heard some rumours about this earlier.
Original post by Hudl
Hello guys,

Hey, on UCAS there's a footnote about us being required to sit an IOT as well as the UKCAT. What does the IOT involve?

Thanks,
Yasamin :smile:
Reply 19
[QUOTE=yasaminO_o;59754357]Hey, on UCAS there's a footnote about us being required to sit an IOT as well as the UKCAT. What does the IOT involve?

Thanks,
Yasamin :smile:

I think they're referring to the non academic form that needs to be filled in

Quick Reply