The Student Room Group

GIRLS.. Why does this offend you so much?

Scroll to see replies

Gender linguistics have a washing machine style of issues. Here is a feminist linguistics point of view:

People have opinions on make up. I don't like girls that have thick ass slug eyebrows etc too.

When men voice their opinions on women's looks, it's not a 2 way street. Women voicing opinion on men's looks is less harmful due to the conditioning that women get since they are born to live and breath beauty (and that their life is validated by their looks mostly).

The make up industry is a male owned industry that forces women to feel invalid and pressure them to buy make up. With feminism, it's about owning what your stereotype is/going against the stereotype, similarly how women are trying to own back the word 'slut/hoe' in a good lighting. Another example being plastic surgery (dangerous procedures that involve changing your looks that are usually hyper sexual such as a big ass/tits, invented by men for prostitues). With that, women are trying to own make up too. As if it is their choice to wear it, and not for men to question what they like because men constantly decide and dictate what a woman should look like. And most women just want to 'look good' in their own style, and that it's not for attracting straight males all the time. Similarly how a guy can train in a gym not solely for the purpose to attract women, and it would be stupid to assume so.

This is where the anger is coming from. That an opinion on make up, stand alone is fine. But due to the context it can fluff some feathers, to put it lightly.
Original post by addyaxis
Gender linguistics have a washing machine style of issues. Here is a feminist linguistics point of view:

People have opinions on make up. I don't like girls that have thick ass slug eyebrows etc too.

When men voice their opinions on women's looks, it's not a 2 way street. Women voicing opinion on men's looks is less harmful due to the conditioning that women get since they are born to live and breath beauty (and that their life is validated by their looks mostly).

The make up industry is a male owned industry that forces women to feel invalid and pressure them to buy make up. With feminism, it's about owning what your stereotype is/going against the stereotype, similarly how women are trying to own back the word 'slut/hoe' in a good lighting. Another example being plastic surgery (dangerous procedures that involve changing your looks that are usually hyper sexual such as a big ass/tits, invented by men for prostitutes). With that, women are trying to own make up too. As if it is their choice to wear it, and not for men to question what they like because men constantly decide and dictate what a woman should look like. And most women just want to 'look good' in their own style, and that it's not for attracting straight males all the time. Similarly how a guy can train in a gym not solely for the purpose to attract women, and it would be stupid to assume so.

This is where the anger is coming from. That an opinion on make up, stand alone is fine. But due to the context it can fluff some feathers, to put it lightly.

"When men voice their opinions on women's looks, it's not a 2 way street. Women voicing opinion on men's looks is less harmful due to the conditioning that women get since they are born to live and breath beauty (and that their life is validated by their looks mostly)."

It's not a two way street? Of course it is. Women commenting on a man's look is obviously just as harmful as many men feel worthless and boys feeling insecure is a thing. I feel as if many girls miss the point on how male insecurities are just as bad as female ones. Just because they don't voice it as much doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. And from that point, it shows that if males talk about things emotionally, they are deemed 'weak' therefore males don't really talk about this stuff. I mean, there are always these pictures of shirtless males and shirtless celebrities with six packs everywhere and if that's not making boys feel insecure then you're wrong. There is a pressure for beauty on both genders. Instead of calling for feminism, how about we teach people to love themselves and feel comfortable in their own skin.

"The make up industry is a male owned industry that forces women to feel invalid and pressure them to buy make up."

The fact that you're talking about the make up industry and saying it is male owned in order to pressurise women clearly shows you have already given in to the stereotype. Some girls wear make up as they feel that it makes THEM look prettier for THEMSELVES not for BOYS. In some other cases, it may be different for other girls. And it is male owned as males are the ones owning most of the businesses nowadays. There are female owned make up businesses who are ALSO pressurising girls to buy make up.

"Another example being plastic surgery (dangerous procedures that involve changing your looks that are usually hyper sexual such as a big ass/tits, invented by men for prostitutes)."

The thing I really hate about Western feminism is that they claim they are for all women yet fail to realise problems with sex workers. You are making sex workers subservient by making this comment. And plus, some sex workers are actually pressurised to join this type of industry due to poverty etc. And first off, like I've said, it's best to teach self-love. And big boobs and big butts should be PRAISED just as much as small boobs and small butts are. It annoys me that just because a girl has a big butt or big boobs she is 'hyper sexual'... No, she's just matured duh! And plus, women wanting big boobs and big butts is not necessarily caused by boys. I think it has more to do with having a lack of confidence therefore they feel as if a gradual change e.g. enhancing certain body parts will make them prettier.

"And most women just want to 'look good' in their own style, and that it's not for attracting straight males all the time. Similarly how a guy can train in a gym not solely for the purpose to attract women, and it would be stupid to assume so."

Some body builders actually get fillers in their breasts to make their breasts look muscular the same as some girls get tummy tucks and butt fillers etc. Again, it's all about self-love. And don't act like the straight male is the enemy here. Haven't you heard a straight females talking about how they want a "Tall, dark and handsome" guy. Is that downgrading short males? Or how they want a guy with a six pack and dimples and a sharp jawline? Is that being rude to other males who don't have those attributes? Aha, from your logic, it's not a problem. So yes, the commenting of appearances goes both ways as it sets standards. If that's what feminist believe in then f*ck it, I don't want to be part of it.
Original post by allysbluehair
Okay so how is that casual misogyny? First off, it's true. Many girls out there - even those claiming to be feminists - go off and criticise boys whilst having the same idea that girls shouldn't be criticised by men as it sets standards; this argument obviously being hypocritical as many males do feel as if they should look a certain way according to what girls say therefore it is ignoring the fact that boys have insecurities too.

Fine, but it's language like "crazy" and insisting that these girls are vain and egotistical that gets me. I don't see why it's crazy and vain to defend what you enjoy doing. Then there's the subtle implication that women who wear no or less make-up are better than those that do. Of course I'm not saying that women shouldn't be criticised, but I don't really see anything wrong with telling them where to go. Free speech and freedom to criticise.

Which brings up another point: criticism does not necessarily mean being offended. ("Sometimes I think these women wait for something to offend them just so they can have a go."elliemayxo) Saying that someone is offended by something is just one way to dismiss them .

Secondly, it's annoying that many people do not even know what misogyny mean and casually use it. Misogyny means the "dislike, contempt for or ingrained prejudice against women." (Source Google).

That is exactly what is going on here.

Therefore a guy clearly stating his physical preference has nothing to do with misogyny.

You don't need to tell people that they could be more attractive to you personally, that's kinda self-centred and rude.

Lastly, this has nothing to do with the fact that "I love boys" (I mean, no sh*t), it's to do with the hypocrisy of some girls out there and finally someone has pointed it out therefore I am going to agree with the person who shares the same views as me.

Re-read my post, that's not what I said. The whole "I'm not like other girls" thing is bizarre, that's usually what it reads as to me. I don't really see any hypocrisy, women aren't a hivemind, different women can criticise different things and that's ok.

If this was not what you meant, let me know but I got notification that you replied to me. I'm new here therefore I think perhaps the comments posted (not directly to me) may be notified.

That's odd, I have no idea why you got a notification.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by allysbluehair
"When men voice their opinions on women's looks, it's not a 2 way street. Women voicing opinion on men's looks is less harmful due to the conditioning that women get since they are born to live and breath beauty (and that their life is validated by their looks mostly)."

It's not a two way street? Of course it is. Women commenting on a man's look is obviously just as harmful as many men feel worthless and boys feeling insecure is a thing. I feel as if many girls miss the point on how male insecurities are just as bad as female ones. Just because they don't voice it as much doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. And from that point, it shows that if males talk about things emotionally, they are deemed 'weak' therefore males don't really talk about this stuff. I mean, there are always these pictures of shirtless males and shirtless celebrities with six packs everywhere and if that's not making boys feel insecure then you're wrong. There is a pressure for beauty on both genders. Instead of calling for feminism, how about we teach people to love themselves and feel comfortable in their own skin.

"The make up industry is a male owned industry that forces women to feel invalid and pressure them to buy make up."

The fact that you're talking about the make up industry and saying it is male owned in order to pressurise women clearly shows you have already given in to the stereotype. Some girls wear make up as they feel that it makes THEM look prettier for THEMSELVES not for BOYS. In some other cases, it may be different for other girls. And it is male owned as males are the ones owning most of the businesses nowadays. There are female owned make up businesses who are ALSO pressurising girls to buy make up.

"Another example being plastic surgery (dangerous procedures that involve changing your looks that are usually hyper sexual such as a big ass/tits, invented by men for prostitutes)."

The thing I really hate about Western feminism is that they claim they are for all women yet fail to realise problems with sex workers. You are making sex workers subservient by making this comment. And plus, some sex workers are actually pressurised to join this type of industry due to poverty etc. And first off, like I've said, it's best to teach self-love. And big boobs and big butts should be PRAISED just as much as small boobs and small butts are. It annoys me that just because a girl has a big butt or big boobs she is 'hyper sexual'... No, she's just matured duh! And plus, women wanting big boobs and big butts is not necessarily caused by boys. I think it has more to do with having a lack of confidence therefore they feel as if a gradual change e.g. enhancing certain body parts will make them prettier.

"And most women just want to 'look good' in their own style, and that it's not for attracting straight males all the time. Similarly how a guy can train in a gym not solely for the purpose to attract women, and it would be stupid to assume so."

Some body builders actually get fillers in their breasts to make their breasts look muscular the same as some girls get tummy tucks and butt fillers etc. Again, it's all about self-love. And don't act like the straight male is the enemy here. Haven't you heard a straight females talking about how they want a "Tall, dark and handsome" guy. Is that downgrading short males? Or how they want a guy with a six pack and dimples and a sharp jawline? Is that being rude to other males who don't have those attributes? Aha, from your logic, it's not a problem. So yes, the commenting of appearances goes both ways as it sets standards. If that's what feminist believe in then f*ck it, I don't want to be part of it.

Yes your argument is very valid. I know all of this too. The OP asked why girls get angry and I explained why girls get angry and why some feminists ideals of 'we're taking this into our own hands, it's not for men!!' comes out very clear when rejecting comments.

It's also in light of Nash Grier's video of 'what he likes in a girl' or some crap, that dictated an impossible model to follow.

Yes big boobs and butts should be praised. I'm all for body positivity of all sizes. I have to disagree though with figures like Nicki Minaj. The trouble with role models like her is that she encourages fake 'hyper sexualised' body parts that are otherwise impossible to get naturally. This leads to a lot of botched surgery and poisoning from weight gain tablets in poorer countries. It's becoming a large problem. Not everyone can afford surgery.

It is a 2 way street in a sense, but with more traffic for women. If you get what I mean. There is pressure on men too, not as largely as women. Men are more widely represented in films and other media as being of all ages, shape, colour, while women are predominantly white and slim. Mostly in big budget games.

Don't take offense of what I've written, i've only highlighted the route of why girls can get offended by comments from men about their make up.
Some girls wear too much makeup thinking its what boys like. it's not.

/thread
Original post by addyaxis
Yes your argument is very valid. I know all of this too. The OP asked why girls get angry and I explained why girls get angry and why some feminists ideals of 'we're taking this into our own hands, it's not for men!!' comes out very clear when rejecting comments.

It's also in light of Nash Grier's video of 'what he likes in a girl' or some crap, that dictated an impossible model to follow.

Yes big boobs and butts should be praised. I'm all for body positivity of all sizes. I have to disagree though with figures like Nicki Minaj. The trouble with role models like her is that she encourages fake 'hyper sexualised' body parts that are otherwise impossible to get naturally. This leads to a lot of botched surgery and poisoning from weight gain tablets in poorer countries. It's becoming a large problem. Not everyone can afford surgery.

It is a 2 way street in a sense, but with more traffic for women. If you get what I mean. There is pressure on men too, not as largely as women. Men are more widely represented in films and other media as being of all ages, shape, colour, while women are predominantly white and slim. Mostly in big budget games.

Don't take offense of what I've written, i've only highlighted the route of why girls can get offended by comments from men about their make up.

Sorry I didn't get your point earlier I actually understand what you mean now.
I'm a girl and i ask myself the same question all the time to why girls get so offended when i guy says that, because it is true. A girl without make up is so much better then a girl painting her face, a guy doesn't want you because of your make-up but because of your personality and make-up adds a mask to your personality it kind of feels like you have things to hide, that is actually what make-up portrays is hiding yourself
Original post by driftawaay
I prefer girls without *too much* make up, basic make up is ok. Fake eyebrows and **** is just gross. Stop it girls.

Cara in your avatar uses eyebrow pencils though :s-smilie: Annoying when it's not okay for regular women to do it but celebrities can have a whole hair and makeup team and not get any stick.

Ladies wear as much or as little as you please :smile: It's not up to anyone else to dress you in the morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jazjaz
Cara in your avatar uses eyebrow pencils though :s-smilie: Annoying when it's not okay for regular women to do it but celebrities can have a whole hair and makeup team and not get any stick.

Ladies wear as much or as little as you please :smile: It's not up to anyone else to dress you in the morning.

Fake eyebrows = eyebrows tattooed on instead of having real eyebrows. Eyebrow pencil is make up.

Try again.
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
listen, If I payed soo much money to buy make up, the last thing i expect, less want is some dickhead to say i look better without it. who iz you?

They are saying that you are beautiful with out make up. You should be flattered
Original post by driftawaay
Fake eyebrows = eyebrows tattooed on instead of having real eyebrows. Eyebrow pencil is make up.

Try again.

Hmm fair enough makes sense then. I've always classed drawn in eyebrows as fake, I'm not saying 'fake' is a bad thing though.
I think that a lot of these posts often suggest that women wear make up etc for the benefit of men, which may be true in a few cases but I, and most women I know wear it to be empowered and have the confidence that goes with that. Many of these posts are offensive to women and so there is a backlash against them.
It's completely okay to prefer certain things on another person, eg i prefer red heads, or I prefer short people, because we can't help who we are attraced to, but a lot of these posts are damaging to the people who are reading them and can be quite offensive, and suggest that women should conform to these ideals, and I think we can all agree that women don't need any more standards to 'live up' to.
A lot of the points they make (especially about make up) are completely invalid, such as 'i prefer women who don't draw on their eyebrows' I doubt most non-makeup wearers would acutally be able to tell the difference between natural and well-done eyebrow
Well its like you getting a new, expensive car and then someone going oh no I prefer the other one.. like gee thanks I will like what I want..just some guy saying they prefer something else isn't gonna change it
Reply 173
Well some girls can be idiots and because they have nothing else to do in their tasteless lives, they just wanna add a little drama to spice it up a little bit I guess.
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
listen, If I payed soo much money to buy make up, the last thing i expect, less want is some ******** to say i look better without it. who iz you?

Pictures are out on social media to be judged, (hence the like system) you can’t decide it can only be judged when it’s being judged the way you want it to be.
Original post by elliemayxo
Lately on Facebook and on other social media websites such as Tumblr and Twitter, i've been seeing an outrage of girls going crazy when guys say stuff like 'I prefer girls who wear less makeup' or 'I prefer it when girls don't draw their eyebrows on' Seriously, whenever I see a guy make a comment like this I will then see about 500 comments from crazy girls saying stuff like 'We don't do it for you, blah blah blah'

Why is it such an issue if a guy is simply stating what he prefers? us girls are doing it all the time, we are constantly going on about what we like in a guy, looks wise or personality wise too.. or both obviously. So why is it that when a guy makes a comment about what HE likes, you go crazy? I'm obviously aware that not all girls do this, but so many do and I just don't understand the issue ..

And as for the whole 'We don't do it to impress you' lets be honest here, if we left the house KNOWING that we wouldn't be bumping into anyone that day, or we wouldn't see anyone that day, would we bother to put on any makeup? probably not. When we know there is a chance of bumping into guys or friends or whatever it may be, we tend to make more of an effort. Most things in life are also to impress other people, whether it's our boss, our families, friends, whatever. It annoys me how defensive some girls get over this.

guys judge girls on the way they look. guys can completely deteriorate a girls confidence by one comment and if wearing makeup for a girl is a way to get out of the house and be happy then it shouldnt be a problem. if i left the house without makeup id probably just cry if someone looked at me so if someone told me to wear less makeup id be hurt because my mental state doesnt allow me because im way too scared of being judged meaning i guess i couldnt ever be what they want. it shouldnt matter if a girl wears makeup or not and if some guys prefer more natural looking girls then they should keep it to themselves
Original post by Botata
Well some girls can be idiots and because they have nothing else to do in their tasteless lives, they just wanna add a little drama to spice it up a little bit I guess.

well no. you cant call people idiots if they express themselves cause its reasonable. i get it if it was pathetic but for some girls its tough to be put in a category of makeup or no makeup because makeup can determine someone confidence. if youre they dont like girls with makeup sure fair enough but some girls will feel hurt because makeup if a way to express themselves and less makeup to them could feel likena restiction or cause a lack in confidence. personally i think its okay to be annoyed but i sort of get your point that they dont need to blow up.
Reply 177
Original post by PlotTwisted
well no. you cant call people idiots if they express themselves cause its reasonable. i get it if it was pathetic but for some girls its tough to be put in a category of makeup or no makeup because makeup can determine someone confidence. if youre they dont like girls with makeup sure fair enough but some girls will feel hurt because makeup if a way to express themselves and less makeup to them could feel likena restiction or cause a lack in confidence. personally i think its okay to be annoyed but i sort of get your point that they dont need to blow up.

I'm not saying that girls shouldn't wear makeup. I'm saying that they should respect other people's preferences and what they find attractive. I have to admit, I did put it in quite an impulsive way but there's no reason for girls to get defensive over a guy simply stating their preference. A lot of girls do the same thing with boys so why doesn't the same thing happen to them? To be honest, if people want the world to be equal, we should consider the boys as much as the girls and this is coming from a female.
Reply 178
To be honest, I think it's nice that guys say they prefer women who wear less make-up, as it makes me feel less self-conscious about my appearance. That being said, If women want to wear make-up it's their choice and they should feel happy in their appearance kinda thing. But, women can't say they don't look at a man and automatically criticize them for what they look like, behaviour etc it's human nature and guy's who prefer women who wear less make-up is their type they're not technically criticizing you.
Personally, I don't care for people's preferences I'll wear whatever I want.
(also, not a meninist and I am a woman)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending