The Student Room Group

Healthy eating at university

Hello all,

I want to eat healthily at university as I am terrified of putting on a ***t tonne of weight! So I was hoping to get some ideas of healthy meal options and healthy snack ideas and also I would also like to know what you would eat in a typical day at uni if you consider yourself to eat 'healthily'.

The only meat I eat is chicken btw :biggrin:

Please reply to this thread with awesome ideas!!

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LSE12
Hello all,

I want to eat healthily at university as I am terrified of putting on a ***t tonne of weight! So I was hoping to get some ideas of healthy meal options and healthy snack ideas and also I would also like to know what you would eat in a typical day at uni if you consider yourself to eat 'healthily'.

Thank you

Typical day varies really so I'll write some of the things I eat:

Breakfast:
Bran
Banana
Apple

Lunch:
Sandwich
Hummus
Carrot sticks
Fruit

Tea:
Chilli (sorry about you only eating chicken)
Home made burgers
Micro-veggies
Fish pie

I have a balanced diet, lots of fruit and veg
Reply 2
Original post by EloiseStar
Typical day varies really so I'll write some of the things I eat:

Breakfast:
Bran
Banana
Apple

Lunch:
Sandwich
Hummus
Carrot sticks
Fruit

Tea:
Chilli (sorry about you only eating chicken)
Home made burgers
Micro-veggies
Fish pie

I have a balanced diet, lots of fruit and veg

Your meals are very healthy :biggrin: Thank you for posting! May I ask what you put in your sandwich? Or is it just cheese salad?
Original post by LSE12
Your meals are very healthy :biggrin: Thank you for posting! May I ask what you put in your sandwich? Or is it just cheese salad?

ham normally
Greek salads for me.
Avo & egg for brunch.
Grilled chicken, cous cous & salad most dinners, but also switch it up with salmon/turkey steaks etc. Cheap too.

I try to stay away from bad carbs (rice, potatoes, pasta), except for brown bread in the morning- but that is easily cut out. And pasta is necessary sometimes.

Also frozen grapes for snacks, and sometimes dried apricots!
Original post by LSE12
Hello all,

Thank you

Hey, take this information from someone who joined university two years ago with the same intentions as you.

On campus, everywhere, by law the university has to provide a certain amount of healthy alternatives. However, the canteen in my university is useless. Everything is so unappealing and expensive. It's easy to see why so many students put on weight during their university years as the unhealthy lunch options are much more convenient and cost effective!

If you are staying in halls, or home, meal prep is very important! I'm a girl, 20, I weigh 10stone5, I consume no more 1200 calories a day, and guys should consume 1500-1700 calories per day if they are not wanting to put on any weight. Making use of these calories is most important! I wake up, have a mea replacement/protein shake for breakfast. I know people stress the importance of breakfast, but honestly, if you want to remain slim breakfast should be your priority meal. You should feed your body within 30 minutes of waking up, even if this is something as little as a belvita breakfast bar. If you don't have breakfast your metabolism will start to slow down throughout the day, therefore any calories you consume will take longer to burn off and may even store as fat within your body.

I don't live in halls, I travel to uni so I prepare my meal for the day. I limit myself to a 600 cal lunch and then a 600 cal dinner. If I get hungry throughout the day I will snack on fruit or natural yogurts. Whenever I say this to my friends, they always come out with the same thing "600 calories?! That's hardly anything" but like I mentioned earlier, if you use your calories wisely then it is more than enough. For example, a popular lunch meal of mine will be chicken breast, asparagus and sweet potato chips, which doesn't even come to 600 calories and I am stuffed after it!

Google 600 cal meal recipes, but make sweet potato your best friend.. It's a good carb, which provides energy and it is also one of your 5 a day!

If you do not want to put on weight, or if you would like to lose more weight then stay away from sugar, carbonated soft drinks and white carbs!

Being a university student, it is easy to choose the unhealthy option because it is quick and cheap. Healthy eating at home may seem expensive so try and buy chicken and freeze it if you are not going to use it to prolong the use by date. Sweet potatoes are cheap and last you forever!
Original post by KirstyGauder
Hey, take this information from someone who joined university two years ago with the same intentions as you.

On campus, everywhere, by law the university has to provide a certain amount of healthy alternatives. However, the canteen in my university is useless. Everything is so unappealing and expensive. It's easy to see why so many students put on weight during their university years as the unhealthy lunch options are much more convenient and cost effective!

If you are staying in halls, or home, meal prep is very important! I'm a girl, 20, I weigh 10stone5, I consume no more 1200 calories a day, and guys should consume 1500-1700 calories per day if they are not wanting to put on any weight. Making use of these calories is most important! I wake up, have a mea replacement/protein shake for breakfast. I know people stress the importance of breakfast, but honestly, if you want to remain slim breakfast should be your priority meal. You should feed your body within 30 minutes of waking up, even if this is something as little as a belvita breakfast bar. If you don't have breakfast your metabolism will start to slow down throughout the day, therefore any calories you consume will take longer to burn off and may even store as fat within your body.

I don't live in halls, I travel to uni so I prepare my meal for the day. I limit myself to a 600 cal lunch and then a 600 cal dinner. If I get hungry throughout the day I will snack on fruit or natural yogurts. Whenever I say this to my friends, they always come out with the same thing "600 calories?! That's hardly anything" but like I mentioned earlier, if you use your calories wisely then it is more than enough. For example, a popular lunch meal of mine will be chicken breast, asparagus and sweet potato chips, which doesn't even come to 600 calories and I am stuffed after it!

Google 600 cal meal recipes, but make sweet potato your best friend.. It's a good carb, which provides energy and it is also one of your 5 a day!

If you do not want to put on weight, or if you would like to lose more weight then stay away from sugar, carbonated soft drinks and white carbs!

Being a university student, it is easy to choose the unhealthy option because it is quick and cheap. Healthy eating at home may seem expensive so try and buy chicken and freeze it if you are not going to use it to prolong the use by date. Sweet potatoes are cheap and last you forever!

I don't mean to sound uneducated or anything but one pf my flatmates was obsessed with sweet potatoes and I really like them too. However, what is the nutritional difference between sweet potatoes and normal potatoes? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I don't mean to sound uneducated or anything but one pf my flatmates was obsessed with sweet potatoes and I really like them too. However, what is the nutritional difference between sweet potatoes and normal potatoes? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well normal potato is a white carb, is contains more energy than sweet potato so it takes longer or more exercise to burn off. The main reason I eat sweet potato is because it doesn't bloat me and it's one of your 5 a day.. Plus it tastes a lot nicer. All the body builders and fitness fanatics eat it so it seems like the right thing to do ha!

Putting lemon / lime in your water bottle is another great way of keep your metabolism high, therefore burning more calories. Lemon also has so many other amazing benefits for your health, google them! Just be sure to brush your teeth regular / drink through a straw because it is very acidic and harsh on your teeth!
Original post by KirstyGauder
Well normal potato is a white carb, is contains more energy than sweet potato so it takes longer or more exercise to burn off. The main reason I eat sweet potato is because it doesn't bloat me and it's one of your 5 a day.. Plus it tastes a lot nicer. All the body builders and fitness fanatics eat it so it seems like the right thing to do ha!

Putting lemon / lime in your water bottle is another great way of keep your metabolism high, therefore burning more calories. Lemon also has so many other amazing benefits for your health, google them! Just be sure to brush your teeth regular / drink through a straw because it is very acidic and harsh on your teeth!

Ooh thank you. I love lentils and have them with pretty much every meal. I'll add sweet potato in more often too :tongue:

But not right after drinking anything acidic because it softens the enamel and you essentially end up brushing it off. Straw is a good idea though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
To replace those chocolate cravings, rice cakes are good! I love the caramel snackajacks. Also, nuts are a great replacement and you'll find that they're filling. Experiment with different ones like cashew or pistachios xD

Oats are lovely for breakfast with some raspberries sprinkled on top :biggrin:
Original post by LSE12
Hello all,

Thank you

Go vegetarian but don't rely on cheese.

Seriously, how many overweight vegetarians do you see? And the ones that are overweight are usually either eating a ton of food, or eating loads of cheese and other high-fat foods. Plus chicken might be a healthier meat than some others, but it still has plenty of cholesterol.

If you want to avoid cholesterol entirely, go vegan but make sure you do it properly to get all your nutrients, particularly B12. You'll be helping the environment too, and your own health. And, of course, lessening the demand for animal products. Have a look at the Vegan Society UK website.

However, as so many people don't want to bother going vegetarian, here's something simple and cheap you can do:

Grab a bag of frozen veg (around £1 - buy Tesco Value or standard supermarket brand), some seasoning, and a stock cube. Make vegetable soup with it. Thicken it with something (I use potatoes)

You could also make a lentil and onion soup. It's delicious; I even fed it to a meat eater (http://www.frugal.org.uk/lentil-soup/). There's a cheat version where you use a bag of dried vegetables. The lentils will make it thick. I disagree that it serves four people though - two at most. But apparently my meals are bigger than normal meals. Is a half-full pan of potato hash a normal sized meal?

Potato hash. Don't use too much mince due to the cholesterol (or use a vegetarian or vegan version of mince - but I'd advise against Quorn; it's not as healthy as it claims because of the weird over-processed far-removed from nature mycoprotein). Basically it's potatoes, whatever veg you want (I use peas and carrots or sometimes peas, carrots, swede, and maybe onion), mince, and gravy. I season it with pepper. You can do a quick version by using tinned potatoes and tinned mixed vegetables. I season it with pepper.

Pasties. They taste delicious, easy to make (though they take a while) and store well. And still taste nice cold. If you make these ones, don't leave out the potatoes - trust me, I did it... wasn't a good result: http://www.frugal.org.uk/basic-pasties/
Salad sandwiches. Be careful of how much mayo you use (if any), due to the fat and calories

For something ready-made, Tesco does some ready-to-eat pasta that isn't always too expensive, and some stores do packs of two small falafel wraps without mayo. They're delicious. They also do a mayo version but it has a lot of fat probably.

Pasta and home-made pasta sauce. Doesn't take too long, is easy, and tastes delicious. http://www.frugal.org.uk/tomato-sauce-for-pasta/

If you eat frozen chips, look for the cheaper ones. They tend to have a bit less salt and fat per 100g. Tesco Value tinned potatoes also have less salt than the more expensive ones.

Also make sure you get enough nutrition. The more veg, the better (other than too much carrot - too much vitamin A can cause problems, as can too little of course). And fruit too. And if you drink milk, you can also get calcium from other sources to top it up.
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
To replace those chocolate cravings, rice cakes are good! I love the caramel snackajacks. Also, nuts are a great replacement and you'll find that they're filling. Experiment with different ones like cashew or pistachios xD

Oats are lovely for breakfast with some raspberries sprinkled on top :biggrin:

Rice cakes are minging. But to each their own.
Reply 12
Original post by PJismyname
Rice cakes are minging. But to each their own.

Hahaha omg the ones I mentioned taste like sweet popcorn.
I definitely do not agree with the turning vegetarian option. Not to lose weight or get healthy. If you have eaten meat all your life, it can be quite dangerous just stopping it suddenly. It's also very easy to be healthy with meat, especially chicken. I made chicken and mushrooms my second night into living in my first uni home. Sauteed some mushrooms and seared some breaded chicken., put them both in a casserole dish with a tin of mushroom soup and popped in the oven for 40 minutes. Was delicious. Boyfriend added it to his calorie counter and it was Less than 500 calories per serving! Very affordable, very yummy. We had it with potatoes. :smile: Good luck staying healthy! It's my intention too, but I wont be fancy with it. Eat more of the good stuff, eat less of the bad. Moderation is always the key... and avoid eating too much pale food! Natural colours are the bestttttt.
Reply 14
Breakfast:
Oatmeal with fruit
Yogurt with chopped nuts
Hardboiled eggs
Green smoothie (banana, egg, spinach, milk or alternative)
Stuffed veggie omelettes

Lunch:
Grilled chicken breast with a side of mixed green veg
Mixed bean salad with olive oil and salt
Soup
Stir fry (my favourite is beef and brocolli with soy sauce and ginger)
Stew just throw anything into a pot and let it cook for a few hours

Snacks:
Hummus with veggie sticks
Rice/corn cakes
Mixed nuts
Yogurt
Fruit
If you're not one to count calories and obsess but still want to stay healthy, just remember that moderation is key in anything. Don't be scared of food, just be sensible, McDonalds every day of the week will make you fat but only eating salad all the time will make you miserable. Just try to keep a good balance and stay active, even if it's just going for a walk every day. Also be kind to yourself psychologically, if you tell yourself you can't have something it's going to make you want it more. The number one cause of weight gain at uni is alcohol and laziness so just be aware and you'll be fine. The main thing here is to be realistic. Eat some fruit and veg and eat the occasional chocolate. All will be well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LSE12
Hello all,

Thank you

there is loads of stuff you can do with chicken if you can get a book like Caribbean cooking mad easy there are some really good sauces you can easly make with blender in that book and chinese coking made easy also has some things with chicken in and again more sauces not to mention on here there are quite a few recipes.

Heathy snacks really depends but something like cheese and pickle or chilli on crackers is pretty good or toast with butter and marmite cereal (like cornflakes ) don't be sucked in to the oh stir frys are easy thing they are but if your going to make one make your own cause the ones you can but in the supermarkes have about 10 teaspoons of sugar in (when you think doctors recommend 7teaspoons a day maximum thats a lot.

I sorry that's not much help but it's all I can think of right now.

oh and when you but juice either make it your self or buy the more expensive stuff like tropicana it's not from concentrate
(edited 8 years ago)
My bmi is 19.5 so I'm kinda healthy? I'm a vegetarian and breakfast would normally be a yoghurt and a hot drink, or crumpets with nutella, for lunch I love soup or something with falafel (falafel houmous spinach wrap, for eg) and dinner would be pesto pasta or just pasta with some kind of sauce

I think that's kind of healthy? I have no idea but I have the same fear as you
Original post by Moonstruck16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol 1500-1700 calories, right...permanently limiting yourself to this many calories is bound to create deficiencies in the body sooner or later.
I wouldn't recommend vegetarian as although it may be cheaper in the short run, it can cause a B12 vitamin deficiency where you may need to end up taking a B complex vitamin or folic acid. There's also the absence of specific amino acids as vegetarian protein sources are not considered complete protein sources.

Lean proteinsources: chicken breast, tinned tuna (in water preferably as oil can bind with nutrients in the tuna and get rid of them when drained), lean beef mince (I stick to 5% fat), occasional steak, eggs, tofu, fat free cottage cheese, fat free Greek yoghurt, milk

Carbs: sweet potato, brown rice, bread isn't the best but it's convenient so I get whole grain which includes the whole kernel and so has the most nutrients, quinoa (high in protein), porridge oats. For carbs just avoid white rice, white pasta and white bread in particular.

Fats: olive oil, peanut butter

Pulses etc are also very good like kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, pinto beans etc

Then obviously get a lot of fruits and vegetables in. But BEWARE with fruit, the naturally occurring sugars really rack up the carbohydrates you are consuming and when carbs aren't used they basically just make you fat. Raisins in particular are addictive but very high in carbs. Fruit juice another culprit.

If you're really keen, vitamin supplements or even just a high quality multivitamin are useful. I will be eating healthily, will be avoiding fizzy drinks and juice etc but I will be drinking alcohol and alcohol can basically overpower some of the vitamins you consume so Im Taking extra to combat this to an extent. Cod liver oil is also brilliant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending