The Student Room Group

Insights into college food and accommodation? The good, the bad and the v uncomfy

Lakes and deer parks aside: can any current students give a frank insight into the standards of food and accommodation in their college?
Magdalen's food is, I think, decent and good value. We definitely don't have a reputation of fine cuisine but we also don't have meal plans - it's all pay as you go with £150 credit per term that you have to buy (along with a ~£50 catering charge, which is pretty low compared to other colleges). Meals tend to be £2-3 ish at lunch and around £3 for dinner (one course), which I think compares pretty favourably. Formal hall is a mixed bag, but still really good value - I think it's £7 on Wednesday and Friday/£11 on Sundays for a 3 course meal.

We also have pretty good access to kitchens - if it's important for you in later years you can pick rooms with good kitchens, and all the 1st year kitchens are at least liveable with (there's the odd later year kitchen that''s dodgy, but easily avoided when you pick your room).

I think our accommodation is pretty good - all is contiguous with the main site, even if it is over the road. We get 4 years guaranteed, and if you want, say, an ensuite for 3 years or to live in walls for 3 years, you should be able to get it although you might have to sacrifice something else (location or size or kitchen…). First year accommodation definitely isn't amazing, but with most first years in the Waynflete (the 60s building just over the bridge) there's a good community feel! Everything's equally priced, which I definitely prefer, and if you end up near the top of the ballot in 3rd year you can get some pretty spectacular rooms (wood panelled, etc).

Also did anyone mention we have a deer park?
Reply 2
Thanks KombatWOmbat....very informative!

All realistic appraisals welcome! x
The food in St. Anne's is apparently very good, although I can't give any first hand confirmation of that (apart from the food I had during the interview time which was pretty good). Accommodation is decent I guess, no en-suites in the first year but you've got a good chance at an en-suite in year two and definitely for the rest of your degree.
Original post by personage
Thanks KombatWOmbat....very informative!

All realistic appraisals welcome! x

I did a write up of my thoughts on Worcester's food and accommodation on the College wiki :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Worcester_College,_Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest